Production status update requested

janvlug

I'm curious what the current status of Pandora production is.

I have the impression that currently the LCD issue is preventing full speed production.

(and thus delivery of Pandoras to pre-orders)

- What is the status/outcome of the LCD issue?

- Is there anything else preventing full speed production?

Some food for thought about the pre-orders:

- I read that there are still around 440 known remaining pre-orders.

- I estimate that the cost for producing a Pandora for all of them will be around EUR 132.000.

- I estimate that these boards have 8000 members.

- It would be great if production at full speed was possible.

- If 82.5 % of the board member donated EUR 20 all known pre orders could be fulfilled.

- And I know that the Pandora has a great community!

440 remaining pre orders (500 - 60 = 440): see [1]

Production cost EUR 300: I took EUR 270 at the safe side [2]

440 x EUR 300 =  EUR 132.000

8000 members: There are more than 400 pages in the member list with each 20 members (400 x 20 = 8000) [3]

EUR 132.000 / EUR 20 = 6.600

Thus there are 6.600 donations of EUR 20 required.

This is (6.600 / 8.000) * 100 = 82% of the board members

Note that I did not take into account that many people in the pre-order list have indicated that they are willing to pay extra to get their Pandora.

[1] http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14679-craigs-selling-more-pandoras-on-ebay-for-%C2%A3135/page-5#entry283709

[2] http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14012-trying-to-find-a-fair-solution/

[3] http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/members/?sort_key=members_display_name&sort_order=asc&max_results=20&st=8180

Last edited by a moderator:
8000 members is incorrect.

What you have to determine is how many *active* members there are... which is a fraction of that.

Then, you also have to realize that the people you can reach - already know the situation. 

I would bet that everyone who wants to or is able to donate is already doing so.

Thanks for correcting the board members count.

But what I basically wanted to make clear is that I have the impression that currently the pre-order queue is not shrinking because of limited production of Pandoras.

So, @ED, could you give an update on the current production status and LCD issue?

50 more Pandoras arriving next week.

I'll also build CC Pandoras (both refurbished and partly broken). We got enough LCDs for these as we still had some prebuilt black cases where new LCDs were still in and not disassembled yet (we didn't have time until now...)

Then there's gonna be a bit of a break until December, as we're through with the next batch (yay, 3000 already!) which means I had to order the next batch and bare PCBs need about 6 weeks to be produced.

The LCD manufacturer agreed to fix all LCDs, so he now also has time until December. Then production should finally resume to normal.

Please do a big christmas event / sale this year, I think this would help a lot to sell lots of Pandoras :) . Start it in time so people can buy a Pandora for their beloved :p .

I'll also build CC Pandoras (both refurbished and partly broken). We got enough LCDs for these as we still had some prebuilt black cases where new LCDs were still in and not disassembled yet (we didn't have time until now...)

Then there's gonna be a bit of a break until December, as we're through with the next batch (yay, 3000 already!) which means I had to order the next batch and bare PCBs need about 6 weeks to be produced.

The LCD manufacturer agreed to fix all LCDs, so he now also has time until December. Then production should finally resume to normal.
Ah, interesting. I've noticed that the CC Pandoras (rebirth) in your shop droped from 94 available to 4 within a short time, and the 94+ were there available for a long time. I guess this has something to do wit that. :)

The rebirth units where just not update I believe ED said some time ago in a thread.

Can we get a massive official news update yet? It's been a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the donation counter has been reset, does that mean that pre-orderers on the waiting list got their e-mails?

According to the values, it looks like we're in the 150€ waiting list, or am I mistaken?

Then there's gonna be a bit of a break until December, as we're through with the next batch (yay, 3000 already!)
Does that mean that OP GmbH have released 3000 Pandoras into the wild?

If so, Yay, indeed! :)

Back