Squidge's Mmu Hack: Discovery Of The Month :)

SquidgeIsGod.jpg

So what does this mack, at a high level summary do ???
Makes it faster for the CPU to access "hardware surfaces" in SDL.

You emulator dudes, how are you making sure that the cache gets flushed before using the blitter on those surfaces? Or, in the case of the frame buffer only, making sure the cache gets flushed before it's made the "active" buffer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Donated 10 quids, a shame I couldn't attach a message to it.

Here's hoping this hack will find it's way to everything that benefits from it. Even something like SMS or NES could use it, for lower mhz/longer battery life... :)

What exactly is (coderwise) this MMU Hack and why did it gave such important speed improvements? I am just curious to know, cause I am still not aware about several technical aspects of the GP2X and it also interests me as a GP2X coder. Where can I find some more reference/explanation about it or source code examples? (I tried to search in these forums, wiki.gp2x or Squidge's blog but maybe I am not putting the right keywords (This forum doesn't like 3 letter words and totally spit out MMU ;P). I'd like to learn more. Thanks!

What exactly is (coderwise) this MMU Hack and why did it gave such important speed improvements? I am just curious to know, cause I am still not aware about several technical aspects of the GP2X and it also interests me as a GP2X coder. Where can I find some more reference/explanation about it or source code examples? (I tried to search in these forums, wiki.gp2x or Squidge's blog but maybe I am not putting the right keywords (This forum doesn't like 3 letter words and totally spit out MMU ;P). I'd like to learn more. Thanks!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29451

haha
yes this sortss my other problem from my topic out well
once i get paid (3 weeks time) ill give a donation aswell

The Squidge is one of most briliant members of what the GP32x has.
His work is great (thought I could beat some of his routiness in snes emulator what I was studying - using by hand made assembler only :) ) and thanks to EvilDragon for appreciating his work.

It's very motivating to have such great developer. It's for a reason becoming such one in a future - not possible perhaps but worth trying anyway. :)

Please - Squidge do a simple Arm + Framebuffer simulator... I will really appreciate such thing.

I will be grateful for it and others too. Please...

OK, right now I have to save money for vacation with my girlfriend, that's the priority, but donation is on second place. When I'll be back, I'll donate, 10euro I think or more, depending on my budget :). Still I'm only a polish student, so it's piece of cash for me >.>

Great job, my all time fav killer instinct is near perfect.

Although I have problems now with street fighter 2, secret of mana, and zelda being slow......any ideas anybody????

DSR

Back