Space Rts

One question, would you use Spring/Glest Advanced Engine for this project? Or are those too heavy for pandora? Or outside the project's goal?

Nicfer posted on May 16 2009 at 05:22 AM said:
One question, would you use Spring/Glest Advanced Engine for this project? Or are those too heavy for pandora? Or outside the project's goal?
Actually, I hadn't thought about that; I've been focusing so far on producing our own engines :p
I'll look into it.

EDIT: it's more made for "terrain-focused" games, and not interstellar ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
keaft posted on May 16 2009 at 10:20 PM said:
In case you people may be wondering...

The ideas section of the wiki pages has been dormant. This does not mean we are not working... In fact quite the opposite we have been going at it so much that we are brain dead! Within the next while there will be a huge update to the wiki. Stay tuned.
There is already quite a bit to read. I don't really like the ULTRA REALISM ideas too much. Realism is cool sometimes, but they sounded a bit too tedious. Will it be Homeworld style? Or...?

Don´t you think an RTS of this scale is a little bit too complex for a few hobby-programmers? And I think an RTS is very difficult to play on a handheld:/ A TBS would be much easier to program and would have the best feature for any handheld strategy game -> Hot-Seat;) Internet-multiplayer could have simultaneous turns. And it is much better to control on a handheld (e.g. Advance Wars);)

Darkeage posted on May 19 2009 at 10:17 PM) Don´t you think an RTS of this scale is a little bit too complex for a few hobby-programmers? And I think an RTS is very difficult to play on a handheld:/ A TBS would be much easier to program and would have the best feature for any handheld strategy game -> Hot-Seat;) Internet-multiplayer could have simultaneous turns. And it is much better to control on a handheld (e.g. Advance Wars) ;) No one ever achieved anything by aiming low. ; said:
Sure it's an ambitious undertaking, and I admit I was a little skeptical when Keaft first raised the idea. But after watching the discussions progress, and seeing more of the community get behind it, I started to change my mind. I get the impression that dflemstr has some pretty solid coding experience.
Re: Playability on a handheld, that's definitely something they'll have to get right. But it's doable. I think a lot can be learned from Halo Wars, which turned out to be pretty highly praised for the way it handled RTS control on a console.

Gruso posted on May 19 2009 at 02:40 PM) [quote="Darkeage posted on May 19 2009 at 10:17 PM) Don´t you think an RTS of this scale is a little bit too complex for a few hobby-programmers? And I think an RTS is very difficult to play on a handheld:/ A TBS would be much easier to program and would have the best feature for any handheld strategy game -> Hot-Seat;) Internet-multiplayer could have simultaneous turns. And it is much better to control on a handheld (e.g. Advance Wars) ; said:
No one ever achieved anything by aiming low. ;"] Sure it's an ambitious undertaking, and I admit I was a little skeptical when Keaft first raised the idea. But after watching the discussions progress, and seeing more of the community get behind it, I started to change my mind. I get the impression that dflemstr has some pretty solid coding experience.
Re: Playability on a handheld, that's definitely something they'll have to get right. But it's doable. I think a lot can be learned from Halo Wars, which turned out to be pretty highly praised for the way it handled RTS control on a console.[/quote]I myself am actually starting to doubt that this game will be done, since time more and more's becoming an issue for me.
If you haven't read all my gazillion posts so far, something I can forgive you for, I'll summarize the current status quo: I've mentioned several times that my role in this project has become larger than I expected since almost nobody else is helping, and can't really seem to find time for something like this. I'm going to be completely unavailable the first half of June (as in: gone from the surface of the Earth, to you) and am then hired for a 2 month project where intense coding will be required, so I'll have very little spare time...

I'll see if this can evolve into something anyways, somehow. If the initial framework is set up, someone can continue where I leave holes. It's going to be difficult however.

Sounds cool, I always say that the world needs more space-based RTS games.

QUOTE (dflemstr)
I'm going to be completely unavailable the first half of June (as in: gone from the surface of the Earth, to you)
So, first hand research then? Good thought!

Should I post my test animation renders? There's little to see really, as the videos are of such poor quality, and have next to no timing on them, I just run an animation render overnight (as the renders can take over 8 hours for 20 seconds) when I quit working, to work out any kinks I may of missed, I just hate to show them, because it further professes that I didn't get it right the first time.

Hey guys. I haven't posted on these boards, so you don't know me, but I am helping Keaft develop ideas. We have been working really hard on thinking up new ideas, clarifying them, and posting them on the Wiki. Check it out. Oh, and if you have any creative thoughts or ideas, feel free to make a reply and tell us. We like ideas.

Test render 006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuym1CpeTRI

Test Render 007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRnwAovEj30

I think these probably deserve to go on the blog, but Kaze might not be keen so I won't just yet. Let me know if you're cool with it Kaze, or if you want me to hold out for an update. Just don't be too concerned about getting things right the first time... even the first batch Pandoras will have something like 5th revision boards inside. ;)

Nah, nah, go nuts. Put 'em up wherever you want them to go, or whatever. After it's online for the general public, it's out of my hands from there, really, as anyone could see it in any case, the only difference would be that it's accessible from a separate location.

I've made the decision also, to switch from a renderer that I'm quite familiar with (Bryce 5.5c presently) to one that feels to be a spiritual successor, although one that I know considerably less about, Carrerra 7 Pro. The videos as posted above, unfortunately, will go to waste, as I feel like it'll be better for the whole if I go on using Carrerra, as it has the ability to export the files I'd of created, thereby allowing them to be not only worked on by other people, should they be able to be improved on by someone with better skills than I've got, and would allow them to be imported into the game itself, be it by whatever method the programmers are looking for (which I'm assuming would be standard .obj files, but they could be converted to whatever, really.)

printscreen_001.png

Back