Space Rts

Mithrildor said:
Will this game ever release? And is there any coding done at all?

This project is clearly using the waterfall model. Give it time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:
Will this game ever release? And is there any coding done at all?
No, as I have stated previously, I'll have others (especially keaft :p) do the idea creation and planning (and finish it) before I get down to the code.

I' like to help code for this project, i have know c++ pretty well, but i have done very little regarding 3d graphics (but i want to learn). i have jusgt one question: how will the planets and stars be arranged in the universe? something ike the real world where planets orbit around stars and stars orbit around the center of the galaxies and galaxies orbit around a central black hole or something, or will the stars simply be scattered all around with no organised movement?

victorsavu3 said:
I' like to help code for this project, i have know c++ pretty well, but i have done very little regarding 3d graphics (but i want to learn). i have jusgt one question: how will the planets and stars be arranged in the universe? something ike the real world where planets orbit around stars and stars orbit around the center of the galaxies and galaxies orbit around a central black hole or something, or will the stars simply be scattered all around with no organised movement?

I've been thinking about this in C++ terms already.

If we're talking universally, we'll probably just make a 2D plane with Entities on it. An entity can be a ship, planet or whatever, and move in any direction (if it has movementspeed > 0). It would also be possible to add simple 2D physics to simulate gravity etc, we all know the formulas so it wouldn't be difficult :p.

This would enable us to create time-limited maps where a planet slowly gets pulled toward a sun, and only planet speed upgrades can save you :p

The probability of us doing it like this depends on if Keaft decides to add any ground-breaking ideas that change the whole system of course :p

but by doing it this way it is impossible to create really huge maps. stars could be scattered on a 2d plane and you could have huge fleets battling in space not just a few ships. planets would simply orbit around the stars and only be visible when you zoom in enough.

victorsavu3 said:
but by doing it this way it is impossible to create really huge maps. stars could be scattered on a 2d plane and you could have huge fleets battling in space not just a few ships. planets would simply orbit around the stars and only be visible when you zoom in enough.

If you're talking about something of the size of Galactic Artifact then it wouldn't be a RTS game anyways. Maps can't have more than ~6 stars and ~30 planets if you still want control over the game.
And I don't know about the others, but I imagined the game to be more interplanetarian and not interstellar, so I put suggestions etc considering that.

ok, about the coding: are we usind a full blown 3d-engine like ogre or simply SDL, because it-s only 2d and physics will be easier to implement?

victorsavu3 said:
ok, about the coding: are we usind a full blown 3d-engine like ogre or simply SDL, because it-s only 2d and physics will be easier to implement?

Well, I personally think that GL is easier than SDL. Just my opinion. But we can make multiple front-ends for all I care; the game logic stays the same and is independent from the graphics layer.

Physics can be done in 15 min however we implement it. Remember that we only have circular objects (planets or ships), constant masses and a 2D plane (so we don't need 3D physics even if we make 3D graphics!). We give every Entity a Vector2 velocity variable and a mass variable and add 3 lines of code to the engine and bam, we have fully working physics.

i'm talking about using SDL for opengl, because it also has a simple event system for mouse and keyboard (it basicly does everything by itself) and already works on the pandora.

victorsavu3 said:
i'm talking about using SDL for opengl, because it also has a simple event system for mouse and keyboard (it basicly does everything by itself) and already works on the pandora.

Oh I see, I just read your post wrongly. Well, OGRE isn't ported yet, but I would prefer to use something like that (Irrlicht would be a good alternative, for instance, with a much higher probability of being ported) since we'll need easy-to-use model loading, and I don't fancy having to handle stuff like draw order etc by myself if we want shaders and things like that.

well last time i tried to get into 3d i used ogre and it was too complex for even simple things like drawing some 2d planes. The only thing cool about it is the model loading and shadows but that isn't too hard to implement.
And we can't be sure these engines will ever be ported.

Looking good, a few ideas:
-Pirates and black market
-Different planet habitability on each planet + terraforming
-Gas giants
-Asteroid mining (some materials only appear in space (between solar systems , so hard to get materials)

Btw buy a copy of Sins of a Solar Empire , really awesome space rts.

I have a question about the libraries used.
What will be used for
Sound (maybe OpenAL)
Input(can we use ogre for this?)
audio/video decoding (music+cutscenes) (maybe libavcodec (from ffmpeg))

And will thes be the official developement thread?

Preliminary test renders, before I broke the render program, too lazy to restart computer, so I'll just
wait for the update program to finish downloading.

I'm off to drink now, will work on some more later~

render_001.jpg

render_002.jpg

render_003.jpg

I am working on a small demo of some construction menus. just a teaser to keep you all interested.

Hello everyone, I thought I'd come here again to see how you're doing.

Basically I've made a post here that might be interesting to some of you.

As to the reason why I'm here again, and so soon? Ctrl+A is your friend...

Back