GP32 An rts

unlucky

Chop sticks Chop sticks Chops sticks
Website
Visit site
Just how difficult is it to make an rts game ???? can that whole gdl library speed things up i haven't quite got 2 learning how to program yet (i got fed up when the compiler i was using just didn't work properly :(

I would say pretty difficult. RTS games must have good AI and a good balance. Getting this gameplay element right is not going te be easy. Especially if you have never programmed (a game) before.

Starting off with something turn based might be easier, like a simplified battleIsle, or Advancewars, with static unit graphics(to start with) moving over a grid. Start off by creating two units (identical for both sides to start with), one fast, with light weapons, the other slow, with a heavy weapon- and build up unit types after these two are working. You could even make it two player to start with, so you get the game balance right before worrying about AI (which is a bitch, you have to calculate view distance,LOS,waypoints, attack priorities etc). Start off with what I have mentioned above, and you can work your way up to a full RTS.

Back