Space Rts

This sounds pretty good already. Another thing you could add would be you can be attacked by other planets, and maybe a sandbox mode.

It sounds a lot like GalCiv or Sins of a Solar Empire, but that only makes it more awesome. Sounds great.

Sounds like a great idea. I think that the Pandora is an incredible piece of hardware and this is shaping up to be a great piece of software if it ends up comming together. I would be interested in contributing to this project.

I wonder, have you thopught of this as turn based or as realtime?
I personally prefer these type of games to be turn based, but that always gets kind of in the way of a good multiplayer experience.

butscharoni said:
I wonder, have you thopught of this as turn based or as realtime?
I personally prefer these type of games to be turn based, but that always gets kind of in the way of a good multiplayer experience.
Judging from the topic "Space Rts", I'm thinking real-time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty ambitious project there keaft. Sounds like a fun game though.

Mind if I throw a suggestion out there? This isn't related to your project, I'm actually soliciting here. :D Pandora Panic is still in need of contributors. In particular, there's a space invaders minigame (one alien, one shot) which is in need of some graphics. Just two sprites and maybe a background would do it. You've got spaceship sprites on hand, so.... ;)

It would be a good way to get to know some of the other coders, which might help to kickstart your own project. And that minigame really needs a spaceship.

End solicitation.

Pandora Panic: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44652

Yes, but you can post it anyway and people can just copy and paste it. I do want to see it :(

'keaft' said:
slightly colored
newshipkt9.jpg

I just remembered that we also need someone to give us some awesome names for these ships!
That one should be called "Scarab".

Hey guys.

Good to see your guys are taking the initiative into the art of your game :D.

Just thought id throw you guys some decent pixel art tutorials. Just looking at your guys skill levels learning good pixel art would be your fastest ticket to polished and awesome looking art :).
CODE

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

(yes this one is just a server page, just look at the html files and you might find some useful stiff, as the page linking them together was taken down.)
http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/

'keaft' said:
medfighter.gif

More concept art. Hopefully forums are fixed...
Looks nice. This project needs to pick up. Come on guys!

This kinda looks interesting...
Throw up a Trac, a GIT and I'm in :p
Even if C and C++ isn't my area of expertise (I don't specialize in one language but know very many instead) I probably could contribute to something. UML Diagrams or something basic to start with.

Just don't let this project stop at art production. And, make it possible to come with suggestions for game system changes; I can see some problems already (specifically to map formats, lack of possibility of adding things later, etc, won't go into detail here)

EDIT: don't just have "gold" and "metal" as resources. If you want to make this into a strategy game, my suggestion would be to add at least 1 currency resource and 2 or more material resources (steel and titanium, for instance), since you otherwise might get the problem that players mass the one resource you have and can get any ship/building/upgrade. If there are two material resources, one which is more expensive and only used for better upgrades, you can control and balance the game more easily.

Here is a quick mockup 3D model of the ship above. I don't know if this project will end up being 3D or sprite based when all is said and done, but oh well.
I'll put a real texture on it when I have time.
imagenyx.png

Here is a piece of artwork that I put together this morning for the project.
planetexpearment.png

On a different note, since these ships are traveling through space at a huge speed and are put through a lot of wear and tear, there should probably be some fictional magical ultimate material that is required to build ships which is created by fusing other resources. The exchange rate wouldn't be good though. Maybe, 30 titanium plus 30 uranium gets you 15 special material.

keaft said:
Ok as for the Trac and Git... well how bout a google code?

After having gotten used to distributed programming, I find SVN to be a real PITA, but oh well, we could probably solve this somehow...
(Main problems with SVN:
1. You need commit access to do something at all
2. Branching and merging is a headache
3. The same code is shared by everyone, making in-group development versions and devbranches impossible or very difficult
)

You could also look at GitHub, I've used it for a few projects already...

Now, my level of involvement in this project will vary depending on which libraries the project will build on. Are we going for SDL/2D, some kind of 3D on simple OGLES or what?
There are some kinds of APIs that I can cope with and some APIs that I'll just never grow used to, and can't write good code with (for some to me unknown reason).
Let's leave this discussion for later, tho...

EDIT: Resources; let's just go through the PTE:
Carbonium?
Ferrum?
Silicum?

Or some made-up stuff:
Genarium
Aevatium
Structogenium (Latin: that, which makes structures)

URL? :p
On GitHub, I'm "dflemstr"...

Ah, and GitHub has a built-in Wiki, in case you don't want to make your first post contain all the info :p

3d: It's not that it would be difficult to do, it's just that you have to write alot of boilerplate code to do simple things when you use 3D.
If you want to do it 3D, at least stay away from raw OpenGL and go with some engine, in my opinion...

3d engine... hmm... I heard that someone was workign on Irrlicht for the Pandora. And OGRE *should* be possible to port, and I think someone started with that a wile ago, too.
I'd prefer to have some engine where you don't have to set up a cross-compile environment, where you can compile on your normal computer and everything works exactly like on the pandora.
Might be difficult, though.

BTW: Strange, the GitHub page says that nat1192 has pushed changes; but I don't get them when cloning/pulling. Have you pulled from him yet? Or is it a contributor issue?

Back