Sounds Like There Are Many Problems With The Gp2x

Hell NO I dont regret it, the 'problems' are minimal and easily worked around by anyone with the slightest DIY inclination, if you are the kind of guy who likes to be spoonfed everything then go buy a PSP, but if you don't mind working through minor (very minor, and usually fixed by reading the readme) issues then buy it!

There are no serious problems, i have played mine a lot since getting it, battery life is great with uniross 2300mh (15 minute charger).

Headphone output is loud and clear, thumbstick is a little bizzare and takes some getting used to ... to be honest i am over the moon with mine

Released to the public too early. I'm certainly not buying one until the hardware is improved. Though people are quicker to moan than praise generally speaking.

I did have a bad gut feeling about the gp2x being released, as soon as the Distributors on this board were talking about GPH delaying the units by a week or two for more testing and tweaking. Sounds like GPH marketing staff wanting to push it out earlier than intended. It all seemed so vague and the situation of the release changed daily.

I don't deny the gp2x is probably a very good handheld, but wasn't given the time for testing. Sounds like some of the bugs were noticed within hours of people using it, it does make you question why this were noticed at a earlier stage.

timthepig posted on Dec 19 2005 at 12:56 AM said:
I don't deny the gp2x is probably a very good handheld, but wasn't given the time for testing. Sounds like some of the bugs were noticed within hours of people using it, it does make you question why this were noticed at a earlier stage.

There are NO Hardware Issues(well at least not for me :D).

-The Scanline problem can be solved by tweaking the LCD frequency, same goes for the wave-problem there.

-The Input recognition of the Joystick is a bit off right now, with new firmware the microswitches will be recognized correctly

-no dead pixels where reported so far

-batteries run dry, old batteries die sooner, mine last 5-6 hours straight.

-The CPU/Chipsets are working perfectly

There are problems right now, but none that can not be fixed with a firmware update! Yes there where some units that where sent out being deffective, however those will be exchanged asap by your dealer(afaik) and there should be no further problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is that I couldn't be happier with a handheld. I have a Nintendo DS, and love my Mario Kart and Castlevania, but truth be told I look forward every moment to a new release here. I don't even so much care what it is, I just like to test out the newest stuff. As far as the "problems" go with the GP2X, maybe I got lucky with mine but I have very few if any problems. My headphone jack is fine, my unit patched with 1.0.1 just fine and I've had very little problem getting things to run on it, including the Mame Williams and Mame Pac-Man sets. I have a small issue with the weird light/dark lines in my screen but from what I've read the cpu speed tweek will take care of that, though I haven't had to play with that yet. Soon. Soon.

I love my Gp2X! Still, I would say, if you are not willing to put some effort into trying new things and making things run, you shouldn't order one. If you just want to sit back and play games get a DS. If you want to be part of a phenomonally quickly growing community of homebrew software and emulation get a GP2X with NO delay. It rocks hard friggin' core!

Pariah B)

Back