Buying A Gp2x.. What Are The Current Problems?

IntenseWage

Website
Visit site
I know that there are a million topics like this and I have used the search function to read them, but I want this information to be as up to date as possible. Now that I murdered my poor GP32 (I'm so disappointed about this), I've decided to spring for a GP2X. I'm going to order from either GP32z or GBAX (which do you guys recommend, by the way). I know there have been various hardware annoyances like bricking, scanlines, and joystick deadzones/problems. What's up with the current batch being sold by these companies? Is bricking still an issue to be scared of? How bad are the scanlines and is it a firmware issue? Do the joysticks still suck?

I know that there are a million topics like this and I have used the search function to read them, but I want this information to be as up to date as possible. Now that I murdered my poor GP32 (I'm so disappointed about this), I've decided to spring for a GP2X. I'm going to order from either GP32z or GBAX (which do you guys recommend, by the way). I know there have been various hardware annoyances like bricking, scanlines, and joystick deadzones/problems. What's up with the current batch being sold by these companies? Is bricking still an issue to be scared of? How bad are the scanlines and is it a firmware issue? Do the joysticks still suck?

Can't speak for the firmwares, since I decided to hold off after hearing that 1.2.0 was breaking things, so I'm still at 1.1.0.

The joysticks still indeed suck. Haven't noticed any scanlines. Bricking is still a concern and will continue to be one until the method of updating the flash is improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's still bad about the joysticks? I've read a lot about the cap generally sucking and thumbs slipping off. If that's the only case, I'll get DaveC's replacement cap. Exactly what's the problem with the whole deadzone thing? Is it like the same problem the GP32 sticks had with the diagonals? Would you say it's a worse experience than using a GP32 stick with close-to-dead diagonals? Because that's what I got used to. :p

What's still bad about the joysticks? I've read a lot about the cap generally sucking and thumbs slipping off. If that's the only case, I'll get DaveC's replacement cap. Exactly what's the problem with the whole deadzone thing? Is it like the same problem the GP32 sticks had with the diagonals?

I never had a GP32, so I don't know what it's problems were, but the problem I have with the joystick is the diagonal bias (It's too easy to hit a diagonal when you're trying to hit an ordinal instead). It's also generally clunky, particularly evident on old 2D twitch games (think Contra) where you have to change directions rapidly.

It hits diagonals too much... cant say Ive had much of a problem with it though, its fine with a replacement cap of some kind, if you dont, prepare for thumb based blisters :p

The only real problems are sometimes sketchy video playback, mp3 player quality could be better. Scanlines are there, but you probably wont really notice them untill you are looking for them (its one of those things half of people dont know exist till other people tell them about it) and the waves are the same (although I find the wave effect much more annoying than scanlines).

90% of hardware issues have been fixed now, I wouldnt reccomend against getting a GP2X as long as you know the kind of unit you are getting (ie, a fuckabout unit, not a polished any old person unit). Id wager the current design wont change for a year at least, probably more (with the exeption of the joy cap, but thats easily changed yourself).

The way GPH has the joystick, it reads diagonals too well, and it won't read if you only lightly gesture. The first problem is very apparent in some kinds of games, such as fighting games, but not so much so in others, like platformers. The second problem is apparent if you're for some reason trying to apply only a little pressure, but is still alright. Also, the shape of the thing takes some getting used to, but it's really not all that bad - plus, there's always DaveC's stick.

The scanlines are a pretty big problem. They will bug you, alot at first. With the LCD/clock speed changer you can help alot, but they are still going to be there. They should be fixed with a firmware update, but until then, they'll probably be your #1 problem.

I believe autobricking only happens when you have a compatable SD card formatted with an ext2 filesystem, and if it does in other cases... well, you have that way if you want to try for yourself. It's a major bitch, but any warranties should cover autobricking, and there are ways to unbrick. I wouldn't worry about it though - it's only happened to a select few.

There is one more problem you didn't mention, which I guess I should warn you about. In the first batch of units, alot of the headphone sockets weren't soldered properly and sunk in pretty quickly. I believe some later batches suffer from this, though not nearly as much. It's, again, a problem that your warranty should cover, and there are plenty of, apparently easy, guides to doing it yourself if you have to.

All things considered, the problems don't amount to that much. The joystick is a problem that you'll get used to, the scanlines are most likely a soon-to-be-fixed firmware bug, autobricking is rare, and so is the headphone jack falling in... And even in the worst case scenario, you can fix the thing yourself with minimal effort.

I hope that was enough. Good luck. :)

That was definitely enough information. Thanks for all the fast replies, guys. Sounds like small annoyances that will be fixed quickly enough by firmware or I can fix myself (although I wouldn't trust myself much after killing my GP32 :/).

Edit: Oh yeah, which place do you recommend I order from? GBAX or GP32z? I'm in the US.

i dont have scanlines or any lcd problems and i used no tweaker etc, just so youknow not all 2x's come with dodgy screens,..

I got my GP2X from GBAX and it had been opened and tested before being shiped to me. So my GP2X is perfect. Not sure it they are still doing this. But i think they are as they are putting the latest firmware on them. (mne came with firmware 1.0.1).

The only problem im having (apart from the joystick being a little hard to use) is not having enough hours in the day to play with it. (Stupid work)

Yeah, that's the one thing I'm considering. Even thought GP32z is in the US, GBAX seems to be a much more reputable business in the community, and craigx is always on the forums.

i've got two gp2x's .. one first edition, and one recent .. and the first edition one has 'low quality screen', which doesn't bother me, because they've clearly fixed the problem in the later versions .. the new one is excellent, i don't even notice problems of quality because there aren't any, i just use it all the time ..

Placed an order from GP32z just because I figured it would ship faster. There's a warranty if there are any problems, so whatever. I'm excited!

Heh, I finally have enough money to buy one and a nice, big sd card or some kind, together with batteries. :)

Though, I have no real hardware modding experience, how easy exactly is it to just 'pop of' the controller and replace it. (I want to get one of DaveC)

How big is the risk of bricking anyway? It only happens when flashing firmware on low batteries? e.e

P.S. Is anyone already selling AC adaptors? :)

i've got two gp2x's .. one first edition, and one recent .. and the first edition one has 'low quality screen', which doesn't bother me, because they've clearly fixed the problem in the later versions .. the new one is excellent, i don't even notice problems of quality because there aren't any, i just use it all the time ..

I have got a first edition unit with a scanline screen. You have made me feel the inclination to buy another one and to sell my first edition over ebay.

With the joystick, i can just pull mime off the GP2X and put it back on, did it first by accident.

Things you should also now order if your getting a GP2X:
2500 batteries and charger (i have the energiser 2500, Ansmann are the best)
a SD card reader
a 1 or 2 gb SD card

I have just ordered a power adapter and case form Play Asia, which should be with me very soon.

Another thing to think about getting ASAP when ordering a new unit is a decent case... mine is just "hangin out there" with no case and it's a matter of time before I scratch the heck out of the screen. Also, if you order the other stuff it'd be good to be able to cart it around easily. There are numerous threads about cases with some excellent recommendations, a quick search should give plenty of ideas.

Back