Sounds Like There Are Many Problems With The Gp2x

Wolfspirit

I ordered my GP2x and I am very excited about it, but after reading some forum posts it seems there are some hardware issues: headphone jack port issue, usb host issue, joystick issue. I know there are some work arounds, but what other problems has anyone seen and has it been enough to the point where you have regretted your purchase?

USB host isn't an issue. Saying it's an issue implies that it's supposed to work but doesn't. USB host was never intended to work, though I guess some people are trying to get it to.

Wolfspirit posted on Dec 18 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
I ordered my GP2x and I am very excited about it, but after reading some forum posts it seems there are some hardware issues: headphone jack port issue, usb host issue, joystick issue. I know there are some work arounds, but what other problems has anyone seen and has it been enough to the point where you have regretted your purchase?

errm... as far as I know there is no usb-host "issue", I dont think anyone ever promised the GP2X will have USB (it will possibly sooner or later anyway).. The joystick can be "fixed" easily as far as I know... and if you order it from gbax.uk or gp2x.de the units get checked so you dont get that "headphone" issue, and even if you get a faulty unit you can return it...

All the other stuff is firmware related and thus easily to fix,

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one don't regret my purcharse in the least. I might not be the person that has been able to use it much due to a heavy load of school work lately I'm looking forwared to using it over winter break. My headphone jack works fine. I really don't notice anything wrong with my screen and I know that things will just bet better with future firware updates. I guess that if you're willing to put up with a somewhat crippled movie playback and a limited SD card driver for the moment then go for it.

To put it really simple though if you're the type of person that typically runs beta software then at the moment the 2x is for you.

Ravnos is right, USB host is not supported by the chip that controls the USB. People are just complaining that the MMSP2 chip that DOES support USB host is not hooked up to the USB port. Although some are beginning to believe that it is hooked up to the EXT, which would be a great development.

But the fact of the matter is, USB host is not an issue, people are just mad that it isn't available.

btw, it seems like there is still a USB host on the ext (without 5V), so when we add those 5V we can connect usb devices.

No I wasn't sure, I thought USB Host was something offered didn't know, my bad. Also yes, I've read about connection issues as well. But it seems that the majority of you so far have deemed that it isn't much of a nunsance so that is good enough for me! Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to get my gp2x! Used to have the gp32 for awhile as well so I'm pretty siked.

the GP2X will have issues when it will be officially released :D

but for now, it is not :p byt by the way headphone problem is kinda rare, usb host is not supposed to be available, and joystick is purposely a shit, why i don't know, but it's made to be like that anyway :p once modded , it can become WAY better! ;)

I thought that the GP2x was already officially out. So basically the batches we are getting now are just beta hardware released?

it is officially out - some people just like to say it isn't so they can:

a) feel special
B) excuse the problems

As far as the "real" problems they are:
Loose Headphone Jack
Uncomfortable Thumb stick
Thumb stick dead zone

Pretty much everything else seems to be software related.

what can i say about the gp2x. how about for the money is is a bloody good piece of kit. Get one now. I've spent more money going to the loo :)

I was on the virge of getting a Nintendo DS and I was going to get the super pass me plus the super card SD but decided that a good gba emu will probably be available for the GP2x sooner or later anyways, plus the music/movie playback is a hell of a lot better, and the tvout is an added plus. I agree for the money you can't beat it. I can't wait!

The Joystick(accuracy problem) as well as the screen and 2GB SD issue will be fixed with the upcoming firmware update sometime this month.

headphone jack works nice for me and has crystal clear audio output. USB host is not working because there is no feature like that in the first place.

Does anyone actually have any proof that USB is on the EXT port?

Is there a way to twiddle the appropriate registers and get some kind of signal on the USB pins so that someone could manually check all 24 pins for such a signal? (only 576 combinations to check)

untill I see 100% definitive proof I'd say that USB Host from the MMSP2 has never and probably will never be connected to anything.

Back