SONY PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Interesting specs but I think that the 720 will be very similar, especially as they are both getting their GPU's from AMD.

As others have said nothing too exciting here for me, having a decent spec PC the GFX looked comparable to that and the social aspect of it is of no interest to me.

Here's an interesting little Digital Foundry article..

PS4 Spec Analysis

just in case you couldn't be bothered sitting through their 2hr presentation,

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0rJDn0jRnUQ?feature=oembed
That makes very interesting reading.

As before when the PS2 & PS3 were released there was some doubt over which titles shown are actual in-game footage and which are pre rendered.

At the end of the day though I'll wait and see what happens, there are too many new bits of hardware on the horizon to make a judgement.

TBH I've played more on my Pandora the last year than I have on my 360 or PC.

wondering something for a while,how would the cpu react to having such high bandwidth ram? also what are gddr5's latencies compared to ddr3 and it implications on cpu perf? How much do the cpus even matter when it seems like there is a big push for gpgpu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible the reason the console itself wasnt shown is because there is something unique about it. It may have a feature one would not expect. Well i hope so cos they need more than what was shown.

^^^^im sure they are not finished with the case design.also maybe they will change some features based on microsofts 720 show.

I hope it's square and matte, not round and glossy again.

Maybe they haven't got a design that can take the cooling system it'll need yet ;)

I think it should be at least partially see-through.

Its seems to me that sony are trying to create a facebook for playstation with the social aspects of the ps4.

It could work as games are the unifying theme.facebook does not have a specific theme or central focal point.

If proper communication and file video sharing is implemented it could work.certainly the concept of word of mouth sales could be increased. Its not something intetesting to me, personally but it could be a good move all the same. Im only gonna buy one console this generation and it will be the xbox 720.

Not sure if this is new news ... but PS4 will be running on BSD I read

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/03/26/sonys-mark-cerny-talks-ps4/

Just if anyone was wondering

Also some more hardware bullet points from this site:

http://gamingeverything.com/44227/lots-of-ps4-hardware-tidbits/

...revealed from the recent interview in Japan:

• They don’t just use off-the-shelf HSA stuff; they are using OpenGL to the point of “full access to the hardware.”
  • They mention having to drop BC as being a necessary evil to make sure devs will be happy going forward.
  • They used what they learned from the Cell to make a powerful console. The did this by having to modify the GPU, etc (via ACE for proper compute processing).
  • He also talks about 4k gaming, and he said they are focusing on 1080p, but he did say that they can, for example, put the OS UI in 4k, but render the game in 1080p.
  • With that, he says they’d like to save as many resources as possible to ensure that 1080p because having the 4k UI alone will take 10 GB/s.
  • The drive can read CD’s–the system just won’t support playback of music CD’s.
  • He also mentions the custom on CPU chip and monitors all I/O systems (confirms ARM TrustZone).
  • Mentions background downloads and smaller initial sizes and play while downloading.
  • He mentions using BD and Hard drive combo for game reads and how to cut down load times.
  • Cerny also discusses the dedicated audio and video compression/decompression hardware for sharing videos and vita remote play.
  • The Android/iOS Playstation App lets you access all things Playstation. Store, game info, etc.
  • Regarding adding Vita remote play: “almost no overhead, without pain whatsoever, you will be able to Remote Play a game of PS4.”
  • So basically all PS4 games can be played on Vita EXCEPT those who use controller tracking or Move with the PS Eye.
  • They also talk about off-TV play.
  • Not all features will be there day one, but they will try to support everything they are planing going forward.
  • Also, OS is BSD, so they can make full use of multi-tasking.
  • Possible hint of PSOne discs being playable as the article was at one point corrected to distinguish between a lack of general CD support and a lack of music CD support, with some mention of ‘game compatibility’
  • OS is BSD-based to support rich multitasking; first time Sony is using that approach in a game machine
  • The idea of a secondary chip for low-power-state usage started to be talked about in 2009. European regulations around power consumption were part of the motivation.

If it can read the discs, surely it only requires software to play them...

Weird exclusion, but probably a sign of the times!

Presumably to head off the imminent Microsoft announcement, Sony have released a PS4 teaser trailer ahead of it's unveiling at E3. With a lot of freeze framing, and mental jigsaw puzzling, you can see that it's:

Angular! Black! and um, has lots of vents and ridges and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/QjXU1anoC5Y?feature=oembed

It's won the beauty contest already - and we've only seen it's knees and elbows so far ;)

Back