SONY PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Well my decision's already made..

PS4 isn't region locked.. bring on all those bonkers JRPG's etc

It's also £80 cheaper & even when you factor in shipping can probably be had for a fair amount cheaper should you choose to import, & there's no used game restrictions or online authentication required.

You can also replace/upgrade the HDD as you could with the original PS3 model, don't think you can with the Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind paying extra for on-line play.

TBH we very rarely used it on 360 but we had to pay for it as we used some of the streaming movie apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
A better, more confident, less scripted presentation than microsofts.

Microsoft adressed none of the issues with xbox-one.

Ps4 is looking good for me.

The price point is quite a coup it must be said.sony finally did shit right.
Didn't realize there was a correct way to shit  :p

Strangely though, in Australia the PS4 + Eye works out to be more expensive than the Xbox One.  
yes turns out its about $550 here in Australia for the PS4.......heard it on the news on the way to work this morning.....

Well having watched both XB1 & PS4 conferences I think the PS4 is going to blow the XB1 away.

Peoples reactions to the "own your games" and "no check in" says it all.

The Wii U presentation is about to begin, I wonder what they will announce. Price drop now or will it be announced closer to the PS4 launch.

Microsoft is down, call an ambulance, Wii U. Wii U Wii U Wii U

It's making ripples in the general media, last gen it would have been all a bit opaque to them, but just trawling the news sites shows they 'get it'. The notion that only the hardcore could give a stuff isn't likely to hold water when it comes to emptying wallets later this year.

I liked:

"PlayStation 4's Price and Policies Humiliate Microsoft's Xbox One at E3"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/11/playstation-4s-price-and-policies-humiliate-microsofts-xbox-one-at-e3/

"What's yours is theirs" (comment is free)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/11/xbox-one-microsoft

^^^^Yup. my opinions pretty cemented now. Ps4 it is.

Thing is can sony afford to make price cuts on ps4 at a later date? or is 399 as low as they can go, for the foreseeable future.

Could microsoft announce an earlier than planned price cut for the one' to bring it in line with the ps4's price.

But maybe sony have some room to move.

If sony leverage ps vita connectivity with ps4 they may be able to shift more vitas too.

Id like to see sony completely change their advertising style for vita, and do something fun instead of pretentious warble.

AFAIK the GDDR5 in the PS4 is expensive, and as with everything over time and volume it'll decrease in price giving them room to lower the price.

Microsoft made the Kinect mandatory, so they can't drop it to lower their price. Painted themselves into a corner with that.

^^^^Yeah kinect being mandatory could be a disadvantage in that regard.

The throne could well go to sony this time. Its always shifting anyways. Commodore, sega, sony, nintendo, microsoft and ???

Wii u may not pose any threat though im sure it will turn profit over its lifetime.

I know there was a scandal after sony just pulled otheros but why cant they put it i again?
He was talking about the mention of "Windows 8", that's the sarcasm he was hoping for. :p If OtherOS is handled as it was on the PS3 then it really isn't suitable for big games: OtherOS on the PS3 had the graphics acceleration effectively locked out. Even if OtherOS were made available on the PS4 in some way it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would allow Windows 8 to be run on it.

I know there was a scandal after sony just pulled otheros but why cant they put it i again?
He was talking about the mention of "Windows 8", that's the sarcasm he was hoping for. :p
If OtherOS is handled as it was on the PS3 then it really isn't suitable for big games: OtherOS on the PS3 had the graphics acceleration effectively locked out. Even if OtherOS were made available on the PS4 in some way it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would allow Windows 8 to be run on it.
makes sense...

Intriguing size comparison of the old/new MS/Sony systems:

Xbox-One-PS4-size-comparison.jpg

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-size-sees-console-dwarfed-by-xbox-one

I'd like a thermal imaging comparison between the two contenders to see what's going on after an hour or two. Microsoft's machine is mostly vents, how have Sony managed to keep temperatures under control in there?

Back