Some quick information regarding preorders

Totally crazy :D
We tried a 1080p screen, and the text and icons were just way too small to be readable :)
720p looks like a perfect resolution for a Linux system for me, having played around with the prototype :)

True, the wording was a bit bad, fixed that.
[doublepost=1462278310,1462278260][/doublepost]Some infos for everyone here:

I'm currently preparing a press kit with pictures and accurate informations.
I will send it to various newssites and you can also do that, as I will place a link to the press kit here.

Yes, I want to translate it into Spanish and send to some press sites.

It would be great if more people would make more comments on news and blog sites.
Go out of this forum and spread the word, ;)

Changing DPI to 90 and text size 12 is good enough to read text on OpenPandora without getting your eyes burned.

It is quite funny.The preorder-page says, that it is not sure, if a 4GB ram model can be produced.
Yet it seems, that most of the people want one.

I preordered a 2GB - Standard - Version yesterday. (2GB ram is cheaper and more then enought for the most tasks i think.)
But the preorder-numbers for that are pretty low. Compared to the 4GB - Version. (11 out of 457 orders at this time at http://p.rdw.se/pyra-preorder.html)

Will the 2GB - Models still be made, if 4GB is possible on the Pyra?
Or would that bei to cost inefficient, if the ratio between 4GB and 2GB stays like this?

True, the wording was a bit bad, fixed that.
[doublepost=1462278310,1462278260][/doublepost]Some infos for everyone here:

I'm currently preparing a press kit with pictures and accurate informations.
I will send it to various newssites and you can also do that, as I will place a link to the press kit here.
Will you let us know, which news site you will contact yourself to avoid double contacts?

Oo Didn't see that coming. On the other hand a news page once belittled that the Fairphone 2 would 'just' have a screen resolution of 1080p, I think (can't find it though)...
I just misclicked and lost a somewhat lengthy post. I will just post the summary.

I don't care much about resolution on tiny screens as long as they are sufficient for their intended purposes. Can you even see individual pixels on a full HD display of that size when held at a sensible distance from your eyes? I probably couldn't.

The point of the Fairphone is to create a responsible and fully capable smartphone by avoiding exploitation and other destructive practices, not to chase the senseless specs of the disposable flagship models from the big companies that don't give a shit. ED kinda borrowed some of their ethics for the Pyra (I am not sure if this was his plan, or just a convenient benefit from wanting to have more control compared to how things went with the Pandora). I think the Fairphone 2 is somewhat modular, too, but I may be wrong. Either way, they are both projects that get a huge amount of respect from me.

It seems people have no concept of just how high a resolution of 720p is for a 5" screen.
Perhaps you should update the tech specs to specify the Pixel Density as well as the resolution. (293.7 ppi according to my calculation) :)

-Neelix

It would be great if more people would make more comments on news and blog sites.
Go out of this forum and spread the word, ;)

Changing DPI to 90 and text size 12 is good enough to read text on OpenPandora without getting your eyes burned.
I would go and reply to the idiots that comment on these sites, but I don't want to embarrass the rest of the community, or scare potential buyers off by giving them a bad impression of what a "typical Pyra user" will be like, if such a thing even exists (it seems to me that we are all pretty different from each other here, and that is a great thing).

I think I have my font size smaller than that to compensate for the small screen and low resolution, so I can fit more on the screen at one time. I will play with your recommendations and see if they work out for me.

It is quite funny.The preorder-page says, that it is not sure, if a 4GB ram model can be produced.
Yet it seems, that most of the people want one.
Yep, people voting with their wallets. Now if only we had more Americans that wanted 4G (I am pretty sure everyone is tired of me saying that. Maybe things will get better by the end of the week.).

Will you let us know, which news site you will contact yourself to avoid double contacts?

Yes.

I don't care much about resolution on tiny screens as long as they are sufficient for their intended purposes. Can you even see individual pixels on a full HD display of that size when held at a sensible distance from your eyes? I probably couldn't.

I showed the same picture to some people on a 720p and 1080p screen.
They couldn't see a difference.

It seems people have no concept of just how high a resolution of 720p is for a 5" screen.
Perhaps you should update the tech specs to specify the Pixel Density as well as the resolution. (293.7 ppi according to my calculation) :)

That would be an idea ;)

Pfft, when I was a teenager I had to get by with reading web text on the go with a 128x160 16-bit color display. The connection was through GPRS so not loading images was a win/win. Kids these days...

Pfft, when I was a teenager I had to get by with reading web text on the go with a 128x160 16-bit color display. The connection was through GPRS so not loading images was a win/win. Kids these days...
Cell phones were out of the reach of normal consumers when I was a teenager. No one could reach you if you were not in an area with a land line phone. As long as I was back home for supper, my parents were not concerned.

720p vs. 1080p does make a difference in some cases, even on 5". The higher DPI really helps with some east asian scripts (assuming you crank up the font size accordingly), like Hangeul (Korean) and anything touching chinese characters. For most users of a device like the Pyra, this isn't really worth much as a feature.

I would go and reply to the idiots that comment on these sites, but I don't want to embarrass the rest of the community, or scare potential buyers off by giving them a bad impression of what a "typical Pyra user" will be like, if such a thing even exists (it seems to me that we are all pretty different from each other here, and that is a great thing).

Sure, calling them idiots is not going to help, but making clarifications and informing news site about their errors do.

C64 BBS at 300 baud, those were the days, ;)

I think the Fairphone 2 is somewhat modular, too, but I may be wrong.
The Fairphone 2 is even more modular than the Pyra, not to get updates for the hardware, but to just be easily repairable - and only that. They use exchangeable plastic encased modules. Really cool concept, makes the device bigger then it needs to be, sure, but even a complete idiot doesn't have to care about touching any contacts the wrong way and could repair that thing without any tools like screwdrivers. Really cool concept, and eventhough I'm not part of their target audience, I have nothing but respect for these guys.

Edit: Apparently, when I'm tired I re-use the same phrases a lot. Sorry about that. Really cool concept :p

Cell phones were out of the reach of normal consumers when I was a teenager. As long as I was back home for supper, my parents were not concerned.
I had one of those DynaTAC things when I was in high school, it was nice but they shut off the analog networks the year after it was given to me, which sucked.

-Neelix
I think that is a pretty good idea, but for those that just want bigger numbers and higher specs I don't think it will make much difference. It will still be inferior to their 72 inch 4K tv, and their brand new GSX 9 or whatever smartphone that has the same resolution as the tv.

I had to sit at a desk to browse the web as a teenager. I notice that it seems to take longer to load a page now. Maybe someone should look into fixing that after all these years. :p At least it isn't dial-up. Stupid kids... (yeah, that's right, get off my lawn...and stop throwing trash on it when you walk by)
[doublepost=1462287913,1462287798][/doublepost]
Cell phones were out of the reach of normal consumers when I was a teenager. No one could reach you if you were not in an area with a land line phone. As long as I was back home for supper, my parents were not concerned.
We had a car phone.
[doublepost=1462288038][/doublepost]
Sure, calling them idiots is not going to help, but making clarifications and informing news site about their errors do.
That requires patience. I have a hard enough time biting my tongue here.

full ack!

It's not wrong to say that higher resolution increases readability (with higher dpi, not with more text on the screen!).

Can you even see individual pixels on a full HD display of that size when held at a sensible distance from your eyes? I probably couldn't.
That's the point!

I showed the same picture to some people on a 720p and 1080p screen.
They couldn't see a difference.
A picture is something different than text.

Don't get me wrong, I think 720p is fine for the Pyra (I would't have preordered one otherwise)! But if "normal" people argue about the Pyra specs or the price, they don't do that because they are stupid. They are just not fanboys so they compare the Pyra to the latest smartphones.

Are we going to a nice, lovely box for Japan, like we did with the Pandora? or even use that kind of box for the UK/US etc...

I loved that box design

Back