(How will we get a) Pyra Preorder notification (and news in general)

kingoddball

Hi!
A very simple thread, which I'm sure is answered already?

Pyra: When we can preorder, how will we know if we do not read the boards often?

Essentially: Can a newsletter be created, which will supply news, updates (SOC and whatever else) and also be sent out when the preorders are available.

I know it could be over a year until we can preorder; thats not the issue.

I just want to know when I can preorder, but I don't frequent here all the time and I don't read every thread.

PbOZFed.jpg

and also be sent out when the preorders are available.
I just hope ED remembers to use separate servers for the sending of the notification newsletter/email and the orders this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyra: When we can preorder, how will we know if we do not read the boards often?
 Any pre-orders that may happen are up in the air as far as a date goes. They would likely be right before production. However, seeing as how production is a sliding date w/ no ballpark as of yet, there is no way to create an estimation about when pre-orders will be.

Essentially: Can a newsletter be created, which will supply news, updates (SOC and whatever else) and also be sent out when the preorders are available.
I would assume that EvilDragon will do something like this. They did it with the Pandora, too.

-God Ginrai

The topic of this thread reads like an announcement rather than a question... perhaps that should be adjusted?

- Neelix

Based on everything ED has ever said on the matter, almost certainly not until he's absolutely ready to start mass producing them. Probably after 100% complete pre-production units have been made. Not incredibly prematurely as was the case with Pandora.

I don't know how far along he is or isn't in the development process but probably several months away at least.

wild guess, and I don't know ED's take on this, but I don't think you'll see any preorder before 2015 (and rather late 15) at the earliest. It takes time to make a new machine and to ensure everything works as expected. 

I don't know how far along he is or isn't in the development process but probably several months away at least.
Even the hardware components are still in question, so it's not several months away only. First, the specs need to be finalized.  

wild guess, and I don't know ED's take on this, but I don't think you'll see any preorder before 2015 (and rather late 15) at the earliest. It takes time to make a new machine and to ensure everything works as expected. 

Even the hardware components are still in question, so it's not several months away only. First, the specs need to be finalized.  
I suspect that ED is further along in the process than that.  We'll find out more the first week of February.

My secret suspicion (not secret anymore) is that he'll have a semi-working prototype at FOSDEM.

I have nothing to base that suspicion on other than the hints that he's given in the forum threads.

IF he's that far along, then it might be out 3rd or 4th quarter of 2014.

And yes, that is strictly a wild ass guess of the 'soonest' it could theoretically happen based on flimsy data and innuendo.

Well, he was talking about having unaccelerated X11 stuff running on an EVM just a few weeks ago. That sounds pretty far from having any kind of hardware ready.

Well, he was talking about having unaccelerated X11 stuff running on an EVM just a few weeks ago. That sounds pretty far from having any kind of hardware ready.
We know that he has found the screen and SoC.

He also said in another thread that he might have a 3d printed case example.  Can't print a relevant case until you have a pretty good idea of interface options and where the motherboard's external ports will line up.

Screen + case + controls (Keyboard & nubs) on a dev board wired out to an external board with PSU & SoC may equal a viable under glass prototype.

Prototype <> final version.

We know he was evaluating a screen. I have not seen a comment from EvilDragon that has confirmed that he has chosen to use it.

He also said in another thread that he might have a 3d printed case example.  Can't print a relevant case until you have a pretty good idea of interface options and where the motherboard's external ports will line up.

Oh really, Could you link me to that post? I didn't see that one.

-God Ginrai

We know he was evaluating[/b a screen. I have not seen a comment from EvilDragon that has confirmed that he has chosen to use it.

Oh really, Could you link me to that post? I didn't see that one.

-God Ginrai

I understood the screen to be pretty much a 'done deal' at 1920x1080 5" from the screen thread.  ED had made statements of what he had found and planned to use - and the conversation went on to other things.

It took me a bit to remember where I'd seen the case info.  It was NOT from ED directly so may not be accurate:

http://pandoralive.info/?p=2641

I understood the screen to be pretty much a 'done deal' at 1920x1080 5" from the screen thread.  ED had made statements of what he had found and planned to use - and the conversation went on to other things.
Honestly, to me, that thread seemed like EvilDragon came in, mentioned what he was looking at, and answered questions people asked him about it. That doesn't seem indicative of a decision, only that he shared with us what he was considering, and answered our questions.

It took me a bit to remember where I'd seen the case info.  It was NOT from ED directly so may not be accurate:

http://pandoralive.info/?p=2641
Ah, that's why I didn't see it. I'm not in the habit of checking PandoraLive that often. I'd love to know what ekianjo's source was for that comment.

-God Ginrai

Honestly, to me, that thread seemed like EvilDragon came in, mentioned what he was looking at, and answered questions people asked him about it. That doesn't seem indicative of a decision, only that he shared with us what he was considering, and answered our questions.
It took me a bit to remember where I'd seen the case info.  It was NOT from ED directly so may not be accurate:http://pandoralive.info/?p=2641
Ah, that's why I didn't see it. I'm not in the habit of checking PandoraLive that often. I'd love to know what ekianjo's source was for that comment.-God Ginrai
source is ED himself.

I will happily send ED cash right now for as many Pyrae as we can fetch, and I will wait my turn, like everyone else.  I just want to say that I think its nevertheless important to remember that there are folks out here who would definitely not mind fronting cash up front for Pyrae to be built, as waiting-to-be-serviced customers.  True faith!

Well, I'd call what he showed at FOSDEM a working prototype.

In fact - I think he's already further along than the Pandora was when we got the first 'Two Month's!' timeline.

So...  now I'm going to go out on a limb and say we will likely see a stand alone alpha unit with first-form case & motherboard sometime in the next 5 months.

First round of real production - crystal ball is more hazy.  Maybe inside of 2014?

Maybe we should have a 'Two Months!' thread where we all put in our predictions.

Back