Some pictures from the GamesCom 2015

Two RGB LEDs behind the logo? Sounds like something ripe for some beautiful abuse. :p

Two RGB LEDs behind the logo? Sounds like something ripe for some beautiful abuse. :p
Gonna write a program for whenever I say "time for some hardcore hacking!" the logo turns red.

Well, Exagear with Wine and it's already the standard OS (no hacked up thing) that's running on it.
Sounds interesting. Will this be standard built in the Pyra OS? And what could we expect from Exagear on the Pyra?
Exagear can be used to run windows applications, it's like a combination of a tweaked QEMU and Wine (x86 emulator + windows emulator*). But it does not do 3D, so out of luck for running all your pc games.
How is the general performance of Exagear compared to other solutions like "plain" WINE or Qemu? Is it better or worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the general performance of Exagear compared to other solutions like "plain" WINE or Qemu? Is it better or worse?
 Exagear provides an x86 linux environment on ARM... It has considerable better performance over QEMU.  Wine on ARM just lets you run windows applications compiled for ARM... which is good for static recompiles like the Starcraft and Diablo ports that Notaz did, but not really good for anything else... What Exagear does is provide an x86 Linux environment that allows you to run the x86 version of WINE along with other x86 Linux programs.

Sounds interesting. Will this be standard built in the Pyra OS? And what could we expect from Exagear on the Pyra?

Most likely not, it's a commercial product, however easy-ish to install.  I've shown videos of it running Diablo 2 full speed, I've launched the x86 Linux version of steam and played some games sluggishly(will be better with 3D acceleration working). I use it occasionally to run programs that are only on the x86 platform, like dropbox. 

ED seems to have missed my question, so reposting it.

Do you know if it would be possible to have a bit of roughness to the texture of the case, and would you consider doing this?

Why would you add roughness to the case?
It would be added for look and feel.  In case you don't understand what I mean, I am saying more texture than the roughness of being just matte, somewhat like a printed case.  Should I provide a list of products that have the kind of rough texture I am talking about?

It would be added for look and feel.  In case you don't understand what I mean, I am saying more texture than the roughness of being just matte, somewhat like a printed case.  Should I provide a list of products that have the kind of rough texture I am talking about?
Well people often say they can use their Pandora as a Hammer, so adding texture can make it a hammer and a file tool. which a file could be handy to smooth out the rough edges of a new stylist... great thinking RygD.  

You can provide examples, but as of right now, I don't think it should be any rougher.

Off the top of my head, computers and consoles in my collection that have a rough texture include:

HP 100LX

Apple IIe

Game Boy

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

SNES and controller (US version)

N64 and controller

I am pretty sure many other older computers have a rough texture.

Edit:  I am not trying to debate.  I asked ED a question based on a first hand report of how the printed case felt.

If done right a mate finish will look a lot better than a rough surface. However, I have several game-controllers from CH-Products (e.g. http://www.chproducts.com/Pro-Throttle-v13-p-186.html#3). As far as I can tell they are not painted, it's just the plastic with a rough surface. It may look cheap, but after 10 years of use the surface is still the same (while on my GHz-Pandora the silver-paint already wears off and it looks much worse than my Pro-Throttle ever did). Also there are no problems with fingerprints and so on.

If I could choose I would always go for the cheap-looking rough plastic-option (without paint).

just the plastic with a rough surface
This I like. Please remember that we shouldn't add in any way any kind of coating, painting, finishing, etc on the Pyra.

This would wear off and we'd loose any addition. I'd much rather have a colored ABS, PVC, GPPS, HIPS, PP, PET, PC, NBC.

So, ED, what are they saying about the Pyra. What are the general feelings towards it?

Did I miss something or was the 6000 mAh (instead of 4200 mAh) battery just confirmed in only one sentence?
I know, hard to keep up with all the goings on :) I don't remember exactly which update it was in but the 6000mAh battery was confirmed months ago. As a bonus it should be possible to make it fit and give Pandoras that extra juice as well, due to the unfortunate amount of wiggle room that is already in it; the battery is bigger but it should just barely fit.

Actually, since he's got it now, I wonder if ED has tried fitting it into a Pandora. I may have missed that update, too.

Did I miss something or was the 6000 mAh (instead of 4200 mAh) battery just confirmed in only one sentence?
I know, hard to keep up with all the goings on :)
I don't remember exactly which update it was in but the 6000mAh battery was confirmed months ago. As a bonus it should be possible to make it fit and give Pandoras that extra juice as well, due to the unfortunate amount of wiggle room that is already in it; the battery is bigger but it should just barely fit.

Actually, since he's got it now, I wonder if ED has tried fitting it into a Pandora. I may have missed that update, too.
I think he mentioned it is slightly too big for the Pandora, but would fit with removing a bit of plastic in the battery compartment.

Back