Some pictures from the GamesCom 2015

Did I miss something or was the 6000 mAh (instead of 4200 mAh) battery just confirmed in only one sentence?
I know, hard to keep up with all the goings on :)
I don't remember exactly which update it was in but the 6000mAh battery was confirmed months ago. As a bonus it should be possible to make it fit and give Pandoras that extra juice as well, due to the unfortunate amount of wiggle room that is already in it; the battery is bigger but it should just barely fit.

Actually, since he's got it now, I wonder if ED has tried fitting it into a Pandora. I may have missed that update, too.
I think he mentioned it is slightly too big for the Pandora, but would fit with removing a bit of plastic in the battery compartment.
I have a Dremmel, a Leatherman, a 20oz Estwing framing hammer and a 36" iron crow bar. It'll fit.

The larger question is, "When will the 6Ah battery be stocked so we can buy it and start destroying modifying our Pandora cases to fit it?"

Did I miss something or was the 6000 mAh (instead of 4200 mAh) battery just confirmed in only one sentence?
I know, hard to keep up with all the goings on :)
I don't remember exactly which update it was in but the 6000mAh battery was confirmed months ago. As a bonus it should be possible to make it fit and give Pandoras that extra juice as well, due to the unfortunate amount of wiggle room that is already in it; the battery is bigger but it should just barely fit.

Actually, since he's got it now, I wonder if ED has tried fitting it into a Pandora. I may have missed that update, too.
I think he mentioned it is slightly too big for the Pandora, but would fit with removing a bit of plastic in the battery compartment.
I have a Dremmel, a Leatherman, a 20oz Estwing framing hammer and a 36" iron crow bar. It'll fit.

The larger question is, "When will the 6Ah battery be stocked so we can buy it and start destroying modifying our Pandora cases to fit it?"
I think you will only need the Dremel, and maybe the Leatherman for some cleaning it up.  I had the same attitude, but both of my current batteries are still going strong, so I am going to hold off.

Last edited by a moderator:
And some more stuff for you :)

The calm before the storm:

DSC02566.JPGDSC02567.JPGDSC02568.JPG

DSC02569.JPGDSC02570.JPGDSC02572.JPG

The show goes on:

DSC02575.JPGDSC02576.JPGDSC02577.JPGDSC02578.JPG

DSC02579.JPGDSC02581.JPGDSC02582.JPGDSC02583.JPG

DSC02584.JPGDSC02597.JPGDSC02596.JPG

Some other areas from the retro hall:

DSC02573.JPGDSC02574.JPGDSC02585.JPGDSC02586.JPG

DSC02587.JPGDSC02588.JPGDSC02589.JPGDSC02590.JPG

DSC02591.JPGDSC02592.JPGDSC02593.JPGDSC02594.JPG

DSC02595.JPGDSC02599.JPG

ok, questions time I guess.

What is that on the right of the fourth picture, and in the fifth in the "calm before the storm" ones?  Also, what kind of joystick is that on the right in the fourth?

In the sixth picture of "the show goes on" with the controllers and dragon, is that one of the hyperkin "repairbox" joysticks?  If so I didn't know ED sold those.  I want to get a couple but I am still concerned about the feel and responsiveness compared to a lubed used original one.  Does anyone have much experience or heavy use with those that can tell how durable they are and if they start to get loose or don't feel as good after a while?  Do they work well for FPSs (Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, etc.)?

Comments:

Thanks for working while everyone else was playing ptitSeb.  I wonder what we will get.  

I use to love playing The Simpsons arcade game.  That is probably the one I played as well.

I wish we had things like that near me (mainly the retro stuff).  Dealing with all the people might be worth it.

I guess I am heading to ED's shop to look around at some of the things shown.

What is that on the right of the fourth picture, and in the fifth in the "calm before the storm" ones?  Also, what kind of joystick is that on the right in the fourth?
That's the MIST. The (in my opinion) best FPGA.

Can run over 12 different cores. My favourite one is the Amiga 68020 AGA including harddisk simulation and the C64.

But it can also do Atari ST, Colecovision, PC-Engine, etc.

The joystick is a classic Competition Pro, my favourite one :)

In the sixth picture of "the show goes on" with the controllers and dragon, is that one of the hyperkin "repairbox" joysticks?  If so I didn't know ED sold those.  I want to get a couple but I am still concerned about the feel and responsiveness compared to a lubed used original one.  Does anyone have much experience or heavy use with those that can tell how durable they are and if they start to get loose or don't feel as good after a while?  Do they work well for FPSs (Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, etc.)?
I haven't tried it myself yet (my original ones still work quite well), but they are selling really well and I haven't had any returns yet, so they seem to be a lot better than most of the cheap ones.

Any reassurance that the Pyra won't be in the awful silver colour on launch? PLEASE tell me there's an option for black, at the very least!

D.

Is the device seen in DSC02545.JPG an actual Sega MegaDrive/Genesis that's been modded and miniaturized, or is this something custom? Looks like it has a VGA port on the side? 

Is the device seen in DSC02545.JPG an actual Sega MegaDrive/Genesis that's been modded and miniaturized, or is this something custom? Looks like it has a VGA port on the side?
That's the RetroPi, a case that combines a Retrode with a Raspberry Pi.

It's a small project I started besides the Pyra and will soon be on Kickstarter.

Reactions: szr
Any reassurance that the Pyra won't be in the awful silver colour on launch? PLEASE tell me there's an option for black, at the very least!
Eh? I have absolutely no idea what color the Pyra will have. Well, except for that I'm sure it won't be pink :)
Excellent - saw the photo of the prototype and assumed it was silver for a moment. Please god, anything but silver...

D.

That's the MIST. The (in my opinion) best FPGA.

Can run over 12 different cores. My favourite one is the Amiga 68020 AGA including harddisk simulation and the C64.

But it can also do Atari ST, Colecovision, PC-Engine, etc.

The joystick is a classic Competition Pro, my favourite one :)
Awesome!  I was just trying to butter up my other half about FPGAs since I really want to learn about and play with them.  This goes into my top 3. You listed some things I want to mess around with, and my selling point can be "look, now I won't need to get all those other things that I will leave all over the house, and that take up space when I am not using them".  

I think I came across this joystick somewhere.  I will look into it.

What are people saying about the Pyra?

BTW A gba texture would be fine. Either way, I want it to last.

I haven't tried it myself yet (my original ones still work quite well), but they are selling really well and I haven't had any returns yet, so they seem to be a lot better than most of the cheap ones.
The controllers in that sixth picture seem to be 8bitdo controllers - very neat looking, but I can't see any on dragonbox yet. Are they coming? And how's the d-pad on them?

Off the top of my head, computers and consoles in my collection that have a rough texture include:

HP 100LX

Apple IIe

Game Boy

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

SNES and controller (US version)

N64 and controller

I am pretty sure many other older computers have a rough texture.
some-like-it-rough-detail.jpg

That lemming look a it like a Prometheus work piece.
They are. The Dragon is made by her as well :)

The controllers in that sixth picture seem to be 8bitdo controllers - very neat looking, but I can't see any on dragonbox yet. Are they coming? And how's the d-pad on them?
They will appear in the shop next week, just received the stock.

The SNES one pretty much feels like the original one, so the DPad is great.

The DPad is also similar good for the other ones I've tried.

Big image is big.

I'd like to hear the comments about the Pyra too. That devboard sure couldn't be missed.
Well most kids have no idea what it is and probably think it's just some old PC ;)

But the ones that are more interested and ask about it are amazed by the speed.

Back