Some PCBs, holidays, a new case revision and a theme

I still can't understand why hackers can replace red LEDs but not white ones...?
Because you know, white leds are soldered to stay while the red one dye out rather fast :D
On the theme subject, thanks for your corrections, two more :

- the like button is still cicled with blue

- the main table title bar have brown borders around the wine color that shouldnt be visible

I still can't understand why hackers can replace red LEDs but not white ones...?
I don't think anyone claimed that.The only thing I pointed out was that the labels should be as neutral as possible because those, you most likely can't replace, unless you have plans to make several key mats, ED?

So ideally transparent labels. If you ask me we don't two different colors for the labels, but as I guess it's a given they'll have different labels so the secondary labels could maybe be a kind of gray, which just dampens the light a little more, so you can still solder in any LEDs you want.

I guess the point some are trying to make ist that the keymat is the decisive factor (which can't be replaced easily):

If you go with a keymat that is transparent where it matters, you just need to replace the LEDs if you want a different color. But the other way round, the color is "made" through the transparent parts of the keymat, changing the color is rather cumbersome has you have to keep the filter in mind:

green LED + white transparency => "green light"

blue LED + white transparency => "blue light"

vs.

white LEDs + Green transparency => "green light"

blue LEDs + Green transparency => some* other colormix

*don't know what exactly, but something along the line of "grün und blau schmückt die Sau" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
blue LEDs + Green transparency => some* other colormix

*don't know what exactly, but something along the line of "grün und blau schmückt die Sau" :p
Depends a lot on the specific "green transparency", as far as I know.It could filter out /everything/ but the green: Then you would get no light at all with an LED which just emits blue wavelengths.

It could also just filter out green less than the rest of the colors, when there is more green (even by a small amount) than other colors, the brain would probably just make it look green too (it's strange that way, but I think that's how it works). Edit: Forgot to actually explain the consequences of this: So in the latter case you then get the color your LEDs emit, and with everything but green a little dampened. This could make an LED which looks turquoise usually look completely green. It probably wouldn't effect a red LED much, it would just be dampened.

Depends a lot on the specific "green transparency", as far as I know....
Did not spend a second thinking about that, just wanted to get the idiom in => sorry not very constructive.

Why does everyone keep ignoring that key labels do not have one color, but at least two? Like I said before:

The problem with a single-color keyboard backlight is that we need the labels to have (at least) two different colors: one color for the normal key labels and one color for the Fn/Meta key labels. With e.g. a red backlight you can only get shades of red on the labels (remember, light is additive, not subtractive like paint), which would make it hard to distinguish the two sets of labels.
So a red led is not enough because a monochrome color scheme for the key labels would be a step backwards compared to the Pandora.

Also, I think it is important to make sure that the labels are easy to read when the backlight is switched off.
The problem with a two-colour layout is it looks forced. It looks like a laptop keyboard with no numpad. It is ugly.

I understand the benefit, but that can be had with clever marking as well.  http://img.gfx.no/1044/1044520/a8.jpg

To do better than that, the second function on the keys can be just the outline of a letter, so that is the colour of the actual key, whereas the normal function is the opposite colour of the key.

If you think about it, keyboards have had shift and altgr modifiers that havent been marked in different colours since after the typewriter keys werent the only ones on a keyboard.

As such, the different colour doesnt explain much to anyone. If you already know how to use a modifier, which we cant assume, then its ok already. Aditionally it doesnt do all that much but continue what we have seen on laptops.

I can see the white labels on the pandora in the dark, the blue alternates, not.  Also, having Shift modifier stuff on Fn is a _very bad_ choice.

It breaks convention for no good reason.

If there is a two colours scheme, it would be better if the modifier keys were solid colour. Fn on the pandora would be solid blue for example.

There is no satisfying the mob.

The Pandora had glossy keytops that were hard to read sometimes in normal light - and near impossible to read in the dark from the glow of the screen without turning up the screen backlight to uncomfortable levels.  Functional but not ideal.

For the Pyra we're getting white LEDs feeding up through a translucent keymat then through colored sections of keytops with different shades so that their different shifted/Fn functions are understandable in the dark - and it is fully dimming.  It's freekin' awesome.

Life is good.  We're all winning.  Quit complaining.

+1 for Grench's comment. This conversation is getting way too far out into "lowrider bicycle" territory and a little level-headedness needs to prevail. :D

Also, if you want to change the colour of the clear filters on your keymat, here are some tools you could use:

felt-tip-pen-185215-m.jpg

Sorry, I should have said 'If you want to alter the colour of your colourless filters'.
Wasn't supposed to critique your wording, but highlight that it's not possible when the filters aren't clear/colorless.

They can, and I am sorta sorry I mentioned it.  I just thought it might add a little to the overall look and theme of the device.

For the additional key markings would you consider red and yellow or something that goes with the Pyrrha idea a bit?  Yes, blue flames, I know...

The little "please wait" animation that shows up when you mark a board as read isn't though :(
Yeah, I usually don't see it because my internet here is too fast, so I couldn't use the inspector to find out what CSS value it is...

The little "please wait" animation that shows up when you mark a board as read isn't though :(
Yeah, I usually don't see it because my internet here is too fast, so I couldn't use the inspector to find out what CSS value it is...
It's here too, only for half a second or so, but still annoying. Could you try to disconnect your internet connection the moment the animation shows up to prolong it? I don't have time right now, might try... some time.

Back