Some News From Gph Posted On The 15th May

Epicenter posted on May 19 2006 at 11:39 PM said:
Dzz posted on May 19 2006 at 10:07 AM said:
Mr_Munk posted on May 19 2006 at 09:00 AM said:
I wouldn't mind paying for some dodonpachi style hardcore shooters.
Oh, I think Epicenter is working on a commercial game that you'll be happy with. I was briefly intrigued by that concept so I bought Ikaruga for my gamecube off of ebay to check out the concept but I can't understand the game.

Yes, if you're a Dodonpachi fan, I do think you'd enjoy what I and the rest of the team are working on, Mr_Munk. :)

As for this new SDK, that is fairly interesting; I will give it a test run with my engine sometime this weekend and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much difference, but who knows, it could contain a newer GCC version that produces better-optimized binaries. Not that I'm having anything even remotely resembling a speed problem (much the opposite, the game wants to run 3 times faster than needed. :))
At what clockspeed is this? We need you to optimise it to 6 times to fast at 200mhz Dammit :p

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on May 19 2006 at 05:48 PM said:
As for this new SDK, that is fairly interesting; I will give it a test run with my engine sometime this weekend and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much difference, but who knows, it could contain a newer GCC version that produces better-optimized binaries. Not that I'm having anything even remotely resembling a speed problem (much the opposite, the game wants to run 3 times faster than needed. :))
At what clockspeed is this? We need you to optimise it to 6 times to fast at 200mhz Dammit :p

That's testing at 200 MHz. I will try higher later, the performance at 300 MHz+ should be ridiculous.

Epicenter posted on May 19 2006 at 11:56 PM said:

That's testing at 200 MHz. I will try higher later, the performance at 300 MHz+ should be ridiculous.
lol. Optimise to 6x required speed lol ^_^

Hopefully there is a newer GCC version that will facilitate that further-- there's still more optimizations I want to apply in the code itself though. I haven't tried compiling with -O2 or -O3 or anything, either-- to ensure there are no unusual problems that sometimes occur when using such high automatic optimization levels.

it was just a joke theres so many *classic games that would be rockin on the gp2x sorry if i got your hopes up

invinciblegod posted on May 19 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
doesnt that mean you can lower the clock speed during gameplay for better battery life?

I'm sure you could-- I will try it and update my response here when I know just HOW it performs. Since I achieve ~140 FPS with music, and 190 FPS without, it would likely be a safe estimate that at 100 MHz, the game would still achieve 60 FPS operation. The main CPU is not burdened with as much as it could be, since I am using the blitter almost exclusively for graphics handling.

At any rate, the ARM920T is likely not the most power-hungry component in the system. To ARM's specifications, it uses 0.25mW of power per MHz with cache. At 200 MHz it would only use 50mW. :) At 100, 25mW.

Epicenter posted on May 19 2006 at 06:56 PM said:

have you thought about implementing anti-aliasing or downsampling?

maybe you already are, just curious though.

I`m only interested in Payback and Elsewhere, hope they release an english version of the last one. They look great!

Yeah, it's not the concept or the basics of the rules; it's more like the same way I don't 'get' golf. I don't understand how to improve at it or why one swing has different results than another in a way that I can comprehend. Also it's probably something of a matter of taste in games (that is, maybe I'm not motivated enough by the gameplay to learn how to do better).

I'm not criticizing the game or the genre.

For me it's just about immersion. It's kind of like interfacing your sub-conscious directly with the game, by-passing your thought process, reach out with your feelings Luke...erm...

@ epicentre: Well excited :)

OrR posted on May 20 2006 at 12:13 AM said:
Those Korean games need to get a translation... :eek:
Have any of you ever played a Korean game translated to English? I've had some terrible experiences in that area, speficially when it comes to MMOs. In "Risk your Life" for instance, I actually couldn't understand what I had to do because everything was so badly written. Really!

Yeah, I have. Mostly I had no problems although the engrish really disturbed the mood in some nice graphical novel games, most anoying was in a mmorpg too, forgot it's name. Had some nice graphics and music, but trying to play it...

Paulo Becker posted on May 20 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Have any of you ever played a Korean game translated to English? I've had some terrible experiences in that area, speficially when it comes to MMOs. In "Risk your Life" for instance, I actually couldn't understand what I had to do because everything was so badly written. Really!

So, someone who speaks English as a first language should do the translation, not someone whose first language is Korean.

rokdcasbah said:

Anti-aliasing? For a 2D game using only sprites? ;) And what do you mean by downsampling? Downsampling the AUDIO would cause lower quality but higher performance, but that's not really necessary and would ruin the high quality of the music. Maybe if we use some 3D models in a future release we'd consider antialiasing, but I don't see any point to that now.

Epicenter posted on May 20 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
Paulo Becker posted on May 20 2006 at 11:18 AM said:

So, someone who speaks English as a first language should do the translation, not someone whose first language is Korean.

rokdcasbah said:

Anti-aliasing? For a 2D game using only sprites? ;) And what do you mean by downsampling? Downsampling the AUDIO would cause lower quality but higher performance, but that's not really necessary and would ruin the high quality of the music. Maybe if we use some 3D models in a future release we'd consider antialiasing, but I don't see any point to that now.

as far as AA, i thought you were talking about your 3D game. and by downsampling i meant rendering the 3D scenes at a higher res and then resizing...but i didn't realize which project you were talking about. whoops.

rokdcasbah posted on May 20 2006 at 05:28 PM said:
as far as AA, i thought you were talking about your 3D game. and by downsampling i meant rendering the 3D scenes at a higher res and then resizing...but i didn't realize which project you were talking about. whoops.

Ahhhh. That'd be Supersampling, then; the old-style antialiasing method. The 3D game we are working on (focusing more on a 2D title at the moment) .. uses the Quake engine so we will need every frame per second we can get! 3D is not easy on the '2x! :)

Epicenter posted on May 20 2006 at 06:39 PM said:
rokdcasbah posted on May 20 2006 at 05:28 PM said:

Ahhhh. That'd be Supersampling, then; the old-style antialiasing method. The 3D game we are working on (focusing more on a 2D title at the moment) .. uses the Quake engine so we will need every frame per second we can get! 3D is not easy on the '2x! :)

ha, that's why i got so excited :D

someday i am going to fulfill my dream of coding a voxel engine in python...ooh baby.

Back