Some News From Gph Posted On The 15th May

joyrider

Website
www.willemssoft.be
I don't know if anyone noticed it already but on the boards of gph there's some news regarding a new sdk and commercial game releases :

the new SDK, havent tested it myself yet:
http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_060515.zip
the sdk source code: http://dev.gp2x.com/sdk/gp2xsdk_ide_source.zip

the games :
http://dev.gp2x.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

* Name: Elsewhere
* Developer: WOW4M (South Korea)
* Language: Korean
* Genre: RPG
* an expectation coming out date: 6월
* price: unfixed
* It realizes 3D game on GP2X using 3D engine of WOW4M’s
This game is story about a warrior who is destined to reconstruct a lost dynasty. He is onlyh and last scion of a legendary dynasty. There are 16 kinds of monsters and over 40 items.

*Name: GoldMine
* Developer: INT13 (France)
* Language: English
* Genre: Arcade Puzzle
* an expected release date: June.
* Price: unfixed

* Title: Replay4
* Developer: OPENMIND WORLD
* Language: Korean
* Genre: love simulation
* an expected release date: June
* Price: USD10
* Replay 4 is the latest version of Replay series. this game is targeting early teenagers

* Name: PACMAD
* Developer: INT13 (France)
* Genre: arcade puzzle
* characteristic: tiny little original Pac man style puzzle game.
Available playing on TV. (All kinds of gp2x game can be played on TV)

we already knew about this one

* Name: PAYBACK
* Genre: Action (GTA style)
* an expected release date: July
* Price: unfixed
* characteristic: PSP version and GBA versioned PAYBACK are already very famous game and GP2X version will be more upgraded one.

Game player can enjoy 20 different background music.

Wonder if they'll agree to make the engine take modular scripts for ease of translation...

I.e. maps would be encrypted, but text would be in the form

<actor reference:instance>[KOREAN]
<menu:reference>name
<item:ref>name
<item:ref:description>name

Obviously it could result in menus being too small if that's all there was, but equally, it would mean any Koren-English speakers could *easily* translate the game and make it available for all english speaker - without needing either to hack, or to re-release (sic: fully translated Astonisha which GP never got round to re-releasing), or to make easier to pirate (executable is still encrypted, so is graphical data). And for that matter, it wouldn't make it much (if at all) easier to mod into a different game, since maps and all would still, again, be encrypted.

Anyone got the dev'rs email address?

joyrider posted on May 19 2006 at 06:28 AM said:
This game is story about a warrior who is destined to reconstruct a lost dynasty. He is onlyh and last scion of a legendary dynasty. There are 16 kinds of monsters and over 40 items.
Only 16 monsters and 40 items? That sounds very poor for a RPG. Even the lamest 8 Bit Era RPGs had more variety than that. I do hope these games don't cost as much as a DS or PSP game. By the way, does anyone have any idea about how the encrypting is going to work? Are they gonna use something RSA-like and cypher the game files with our GP2X serial numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paulo Becker posted on May 19 2006 at 10:30 PM said:
joyrider posted on May 19 2006 at 06:28 AM said:
Only 16 monsters and 40 items? That sounds very poor for a RPG. Even the lamest 8 Bit Era RPGs had more variety than that. I do hope these games don't cost as much as a DS or PSP game. By the way, does anyone have any idea about how the encrypting is going to work? Are they gonna use something RSA-like and cypher the game files with our GP2X serial numbers?

yeah i've played rpgs on my cell phone that are more in-depth than that

NaCCuRiT posted on May 19 2006 at 11:34 AM said:
INT13 should recreated Crazy Karts

instead of a pacman / goldmine :rolleyes:

Crazy Karts 2x :lol: B)
Whoa, I'm with you. I'm all for 3D racing games on the GP2X. I'm still waiting to place my order, but if either of the Gran Turismoes were already running via the PSX emulator, I'd have already preodered one.

Well, I'm sure Payback should cover some of my racing needs, but a pure racer would be great :)

The only game that sounds any good in that bunch is Payback. Some of the dev's from these boards should get on to releasing some commercial games, they would be tons better than this bunch of mobile-phone style releases :p I wouldn't mind paying for some dodonpachi style hardcore shooters.

Mr_Munk posted on May 19 2006 at 09:00 AM said:
The only game that sounds any good in that bunch is Payback. Some of the dev's from these boards should get on to releasing some commercial games, they would be tons better than this bunch of mobile-phone style releases :p I wouldn't mind paying for some dodonpachi style hardcore shooters.
Hmm, you want us to make commercial games instead of free ones? :) Hmm. Maybe you're right!

Oh, I think Epicenter is working on a commercial game that you'll be happy with. I was briefly intrigued by that concept so I bought Ikaruga for my gamecube off of ebay to check out the concept but I can't understand the game.

Dzz posted on May 19 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
Hmm, you want us to make commercial games instead of free ones? :) Hmm. Maybe you're right!

Oh, I think Epicenter is working on a commercial game that you'll be happy with. I was briefly intrigued by that concept so I bought Ikaruga for my gamecube off of ebay to check out the concept but I can't understand the game.
What don't you understand? Basically, when you're white, if you get hit by shots from the white ships your special meter goes up, and the same goes when you're black with shots from the black ships. You get combos based on how many ships you kill in a row of the same colour. Was there something else? I haven't played the game in a while, but if there's something else in the concept you don't understand I can probably explain it, assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, I'm only trying to help.

Ravnos posted on May 19 2006 at 10:52 AM said:
What don't you understand? Basically, when you're white, if you get hit by shots from the white ships your special meter goes up, and the same goes when you're black with shots from the black ships. You get combos based on how many ships you kill in a row of the same colour. Was there something else? I haven't played the game in a while, but if there's something else in the concept you don't understand I can probably explain it, assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, I'm only trying to help.
Yeah, it's not the concept or the basics of the rules; it's more like the same way I don't 'get' golf. I don't understand how to improve at it or why one swing has different results than another in a way that I can comprehend. Also it's probably something of a matter of taste in games (that is, maybe I'm not motivated enough by the gameplay to learn how to do better).

I'm not criticizing the game or the genre.

Dzz posted on May 19 2006 at 10:07 AM said:
I wouldn't mind paying for some dodonpachi style hardcore shooters.

Yes, if you're a Dodonpachi fan, I do think you'd enjoy what I and the rest of the team are working on, Mr_Munk. :)

As for this new SDK, that is fairly interesting; I will give it a test run with my engine sometime this weekend and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much difference, but who knows, it could contain a newer GCC version that produces better-optimized binaries. Not that I'm having anything even remotely resembling a speed problem (much the opposite, the game wants to run 3 times faster than needed. :))

Back