[SOLVED] TV-out, s-video to scart/peritel, only black and white !

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi !

Have colors only when i select composite.

Maybe is the adapter bad ?

--EDIT: tried directly on a s-video tv, also black and white :/ .

Last edited by a moderator:
On my TV, colour is very hard to detect using s-video from the Pandora - window titles are very slightly blue, and only the volume indicator is identifiably blue.  On composite I get better colour.

It may be that the luminance connection to the s-video port is acually luminance+chroma i.e. composite, I don't know how the TV-out cable is wired.  Looking at the EXT-connector pinout, the port actually only outputs s-video (i.e. separate Y and C), but depending on how the cable is wired, it may be corrupting the discrete luminance output (Y) on the s-video line, dunno.  I'd need an oscilloscope to check, and I don't have one.

Edit: Oops, I hadn't actually gone to the configuration screen and chosen s-video.  Now I've done that, colour is much better.

It wouldn't surprise me if s-video over French Peritel is different to SCART, as it was never completely officially part of the standard, as far as I know.  However, plugging your s-video plug directly into a TV should work in colour, as s-video is just s-video - Y, C and two grounds.  Not much you can do to that and still get a picture.

Could this be down to SECAM which I understand is the default TV format in France.

Could this be down to SECAM which I understand is the default TV format in France.
It shouln't have any bearing unless in it's RF form - 50hz composite or S-Video ought to work (assuming the Scart/Peritel equipped device supports S-Video input).

Don't want to teach the OP to suck eggs but have you tried PAL & NTSC on the Pandora with S-Video?

I'm using this s-video to scart adapter and it's working fine with my TV.

(On the other hand, composite is not working at all with my TV.)
Is there much difference in image quality from using that adaptor for S-Video vs composite?

I ask as I was planning to do exactly the same as our TV accepts S-Video via it's SCART sockets.

If you mean is there any difference using that adaptor versus plugging the cables in directly, should the TV have the appropriate sockets, probably not.  If you mean is s-video or composite better, then it depends on your TV.  On almost all old CRTs s-video will be better, but HDTVs support for SD signals can be a bit more variable, so your mileage may vary.

Edit: Re-read your post.  Try composite first, and if you're happy with that, I wouldn't bother to invest in an adaptor personally.  S-video ought to be better, but it won't suddenly make the Pandora TV output HD.

I'm using this s-video to scart adapter and it's working fine with my TV.

(On the other hand, composite is not working at all with my TV.)
Is there much difference in image quality from using that adaptor for S-Video vs composite?
I can't say, because composite isn't working for me (as I wrote in my previous post).
Back to topic:

@Linux-SWAT:

Maybe the cable between s-video out and the adapter is bad. Did you try a different one ?

Yeah, it was the cable. Tried a shorter one, got colors, but a very bad display, then a thicker one and i had a nice picture !!!

S-video is definitely better than composite, but colors have to be enhanced a bit on the TV.

Thx all.

Yeah, it was the cable. Tried a shorter one, got colors, but a very bad display, then a thicker one and i had a nice picture !!!

S-video is definitely better than composite, but colors have to be enhanced a bit on the TV.

Thx all.
So are you saying the argument "Don't fall for Monster Cable" is actually false ?  :eek:

Well, cables can be bad or good, for instance, on had no color, other bad display, third worked fine.

Back