S-video To Scart (for Tv-out) - Will This Work?

hannanshah

Still Fresh
S-video to TV kit
S-video to Scart cable

Will something like this allow me to use the TV-Out feature through the scart port on my TV? What if I have a TV which doesn't support S-video through the scart (black and white picture)? Is it possible to get a cable which converts S-video to RGB Scart?

hannanshah posted on Feb 21 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
S-video to TV kit
S-video to Scart cable

Will something like this allow me to use the TV-Out feature through the scart port on my TV? What if I have a TV which doesn't support S-video through the scart (black and white picture)? Is it possible to get a cable which converts S-video to RGB Scart?

Not without alot of electronics. S-video has Chroma (color) on one wire, Luma (brightness) on another wire and ground.

RGB has Red, Green, Blue, Composite Sync, and ground all on separate leads. You can't get more from less without a converter box with elecronics to separate signals out. Even with that you will only get quality slightly worse than S-Video because of the conversion loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Feb 21 2006 at 07:35 PM said:
S-video to TV kit
S-video to Scart cable

Not without alot of electronics. S-video has Chroma (color) on one wire, Luma (brightness) on another wire and ground.

RGB has Red, Green, Blue, Composite Sync, and ground all on separate leads. You can't get more from less without a converter box with elecronics to separate signals out. Even with that you will only get quality slightly worse than S-Video because of the conversion loss.

Actually, a scart can take S-video, composite or RGB.
Those converter are really simple, and actually convert nothing. If your TV doesn't accept Svideo signal, then you will get a Black&White output.
Converting svideo to RGB is indeed hard, but converting svideo to composite is doable:
ie http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuit...deo2cvideo.html
but it affect a lot the output image quality.

If your Tv has 2 scart, then it may support svideo on one.

S-video to TV kit
S-video to Scart cable

if your tv only has the one its most likley just RGB so you need to convert the signal itself to RGB

if TV has 2 SCART sockets one will most likley be RGB and the other S-Video this is how a lot of tvs work with 2 scarts if you do and your tv has an extra av channel such as AV2-S or something the -S is for if your using an svideo cable so if you have that you should be ok

My main TV has an S-video input but my bedroom one only has one scart which is why I was looking for an RGB solution.

I have one of these multi scart boxes but it doesn't have an S-video input and I don't believe it supports an S-video signal through scart.

Does anyone know something similar that will work with the s-video to scart cables I specified in my original post?

Back