Soccer World Cup 2014 - Who are you rooting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingerlund for me :) Though with no real expectation / would also like to see the Netherlands do well as I'll have a few quid riding on them winning it.

I live in Brazil and we are rooting for nobody. They spent billions of dollas from public money in these new stadiums while we don´t have schools, hospitals, not even public transportation.
Do you think that there is a genuine chance that the tournament will be seriously disrupted by riots / protests?

I live in Brazil and we are rooting for nobody. They spent billions of dollas from public money in these new stadiums while we don´t have schools, hospitals, not even public transportation.
Do you think that there is a genuine chance that the tournament will be seriously disrupted by riots / protests?
I certainly do hope so. Would be well deserved.

When our country got it for 2010, all our public services went up drastically (I.e. toll roads etc.)... we thought they did it to milk the tourists, but the prices never went down after that. Bastards. Use our public money to fund an excuse to rape us continuously afterwards... what goes back into uplifting the country? F**king nothing... all into the pockets of corrupt government officials. F**k sports!

=~. O =

[...] Formula 1 [...]
Driving in circles is no sport. :p
Maybe, but tell that all the NASCAR and INDYCAR fans... :p   Compared to this, Formula 1 IS sport. 

When our country got it for 2010, all our public services went up drastically (I.e. toll roads etc.)... we thought they did it to milk the tourists, but the prices never went down after that. Bastards. Use our public money to fund an excuse to rape us continuously afterwards... what goes back into uplifting the country? F**king nothing... all into the pockets of corrupt government officials. F**k sports!

=~. O =
I remember that championship. Actualy I mainly remember the nonstop- noise. :D

oh_dear.png

Last edited by a moderator:
... They spent billions of dollas from public money in these new stadiums while we don´t have schools, hospitals, not even public transportation.
That is not true, money spent on the world cup in full does not reach what the government spends in a single month alone in education only. Also, the teams that owns the built stadium have to get the money back to the government in a set time with normal interests.This is the only country I know that has public universities free of charge, and so for medical attention.

Government puts a huge amount of money into it and research.

Problem here is brazilians themselves, they only complain repeating what others or tv says, and once someone gets to be a director of any organism and has a chance to change, that person stops working and taking chances, even with the public money, they accommodate themselves into high salaries and screw the rest. 

Brazilians are doing a lot of bla bla no-cup revolt these days and it is for nothing. I´d like to see one single brazilian that is not going to watch the game when the time comes, or that is going to complain to his employee that he doesn´t want to get a free day´s work during a brazilian game, that he wants to work during the game or not get payed for that free time. That is not going to happen for sure... so you get a picture of our hypocrisis :D

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/05/1458720-custo-da-copa-equivale-a-um-mes-de-gastos-com-educacao.shtml

EDIT: yes, we get to skip and leave work usually 1h before the game and most of the time needs not to come back(since everyone is drunk), oh and get payed for it. While the cup is in country, I believe there will be whole free days, except for a few class of work. Can you believe it?

Stop being part of the "A person is smart, people are dumb" analogy. Go join the riots.

... They spent billions of dollas from public money in these new stadiums while we don´t have schools, hospitals, not even public transportation.
That is not true, money spent on the world cup in full does not reach what the government spends in a single month alone in education only. Also, the teams that owns the built stadium have to get the money back to the government in a set time with normal interests.This is the only country I know that has public universities free of charge, and so for medical attention.

Government puts a huge amount of money into it and research.

Problem here is brazilians themselves, they only complain repeating what others or tv says, and once someone gets to be a director of any organism and has a chance to change, that person stops working and taking chances, even with the public money, they accommodate themselves into high salaries and screw the rest. 

Brazilians are doing a lot of bla bla no-cup revolt these days and it is for nothing. I´d like to see one single brazilian that is not going to watch the game when the time comes, or that is going to complain to his employee that he doesn´t want to get a free day´s work during a brazilian game, that he wants to work during the game or not get payed for that free time. That is not going to happen for sure... so you get a picture of our hypocrisis :D

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/05/1458720-custo-da-copa-equivale-a-um-mes-de-gastos-com-educacao.shtml

EDIT: yes, we get to skip and leave work usually 1h before the game and most of the time needs not to come back(since everyone is drunk), oh and get payed for it. While the cup is in country, I believe there will be whole free days, except for a few class of work. Can you believe it?
Yes, Brazillians are guilty, afterall it is us who vote for these government leaders.

Now, you should be more carefull and read this: http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2014/06/04/caros-inacabados-e-pagos-pelo-povo-o-legado-dos-estadios-da-copa.htm#fotoNav=1

English translation is here

You are comparing the amount of money in education that is spent in a country with 700 million people to the world cup. Of course you can´t pay for all schools in this uhge country with any tournment. Poeple are mad because:

-Money spent to repair the stadiums are in an average 50% higher than it was originally planned. So guess who took this additional money (hint - it is not Carig - bad joke).

-They build a 100 million stadium in a state (Roraima) where the average of people that goes to stadiums for the tournment is 100 people per game (so where is the interest here). same thing in Amazon state.

And after the world cup they want to sell it (government wants o sell it to recover the money back). So they build stadium only for the world cup, and I´m pretty sure noone is going to buy it. And believe me 100 million can buid many schools in this state.

So government spent (public money yes) R$25.6 billion (something line U$11 billion) for a three week tournment. Of course you can´t solve all the problems with this money, but you can surely invest this in something usefull.  People are mad because they don´t have decent public transportation (they are on strike now), public hospitals (I´m pretty sure you never need to go to a public  one), no schools. Yes we have free universities for the elite (if you pay for good and expensive private schools  you can get a vacancy in one of these public universities). Just go to the med school and you will see that 90% of students have very nice cars. 

And believe me, I´ve been to public universities and got my masters and PhD even with government scholarship incentive. And I still think that this is all a mess (like everybody else, except you maybe)

My point is:

This is not true, we do have those things.

I might as well add that they are not as bad as people say. I have been to public hospitals, schools and I do use public transportation every now and then.

So or so, it seems that there are serious problems if even the Soccer addicted Brazilians are now so sceptical about the Worldcup. I can understand the people who demonstrate onto the streets, now it is a good time to get attention. There seems to be alot going wrong behind the curtain, I've seen reports that the finishing of Stadiums and infrastructure was delayed on purpose to get even more money from the gouvernment at the end where everything needs to be finished no matter what it may cost. Alot of the former money of course vanished into the wrong pockets.

They also rebuilt this one big, traditional Soccer Stadium (don't remember the name) to have LESS people in (due FIFA regulations, no stand places, only seat places for the audience).  So there was alot of money spent to make a traditional big and affordable stadium smaller and more expencive.  :rolleyes:

There are alot of these storys flying around and I'm sure there will be more. Still much more interesting than actual sports for me at least.  :D   

We have federal elections going up this year too, so you get the picture. :rolleyes:  

Back on topic....

It would be nice to see Cameroon going up high if not winning. It is about time Germans win a cup too!(you lazy bunch :p ).

Being around here, I hope brasil at least gets to the finals and maybe win it, it is hard to have faith as the team is a bit weird, so it is probably a german cup this one. 

I wonder if Brazilian coach/team can still live if they don't win this world cup on its home soil....

Or if the winning team or fans of the winning team that beats Brazil can leave Brazil in once piece...

They still show some of the matches on large screens in public places here in Germany, and they still call it "public viewing" (even though there is no corpse).

That's all I have to say about the soccer world cup :p

Home team England.

Plus, I pulled us out the hat too so if we win, I'm £100 up

Bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back