SoC: Back and forth!

OK the democratic voting process has finished.  It's now ED and his team to pick the final president :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot about a dock station or plain video out. There's nothing wrong with the ability to run such games. Reviewers will appreciate that if pyra won't be advertised as handheld only device
If you want to use a PC at home, use a PC.

The main reason to get a Pyra is to have a mini PC on the go.

I am the one with the risk here, so having a HUGE demand of people who want to buy it because they expect to play their favourite games on the go together with a ramped up production will lead to sudden death if they all start shipping it back to me because they can't play the games as they thought.

Our niche is full of smart people - telling the world there's a handheld that can play stuff like FF14 on the go will lead to thousands of new customers who don't think ahead...

Just pick OMAP5.  I hope TI doesn't read all this and change their mind not selling OMAP5 to us then we are really in deep shit :)
I'm pretty sure they aren't that petty and no, not just pick OMAP5.
Let's say we do get the 800/805. To be frank, I don't want fingers in ears about it because 2d acceleration and Linux when we seem to have a

whole community to help with that.

I just watched a few gaming videos of the Intel SoC.

Impressive, but not a single game I saw would be playable on a 5 inch screen because the menu and characters would be too small.

So we wouldn't gain anything from that...

And older games would most probably also work with QEmu on a Snapdragon / OMAP5.
You could try to look for just a little bigger screen. :p
I'm confused. We aren't sticking with Linux if we pick Intel?

Sure we are sticking with Linux. But x86 will most probably cry for latest windows games in all press and news coverage.

BTW: The snapdragon doesn't have a hardware 2D acceleration built in - it's not a missing driver. The community can't do anything about that ;)

I've heard people's first hand reports on using those baytrail devices saying battery life isn't that bad with the 4860mah battery in the venue 8 pro, they didn't have benchmarks, but they did say it was "about that long" (10 hour claim) there's lots of variables I'm sure that go into that, and to truely know what's on, what's off, what speed, what temps, you really need both or all options in your hand and a serious test environment, not just comparing statistics from the manufacturer. that's why I said you were right, not that you were wrong for posting info. Just the info doesn't tell the full story.
I didn't mean you said I'm wrong.

I was just asking if you had some experience and you told me about someone you know who did some testing.

That's what I wanted.

Simply collect some experiences :) .

'Askarus', on 08 Feb 2014 - 6:09 PM, said: Please don't decide for Bay Trail as long as it's not clear how far it can be clocked and is usable for gaming. you posted a nice video yourself -.-
I posted a video where someone is playing.

But will he be able to play for hours or will the CPU overheat and throttle the turbo boost that might be used.

That's my concern.

You think ARM SoCs run at over 2GHz all the time? All four cores at the same time? Sry, but throttling is perfectly normal. Heat is a huge issue. Don't forget all modern ARM SoCs also have small cores to improve efficincy and battery life.
For Games and heavy emulation I would not want to be throttled after a few minutes.

Also we don't speak about throttling.

The CPU is advertised as 1.4 GHz on the official ARM site.

It can go higher for special conditions.

The snapdragon doesn't have a hardware 2D acceleration built in - it's not a missing driver. The community can't do anything about that ;)
What's the impact of it?

Are we speaking of a feature that's essential and will cost a lot of CPU power if not available?

_wb_ mentioned it's not that important as Snapdragon might offer a lot more CPU power than OMAP to easily compensate missing 2d acceleration.

So what is it we're talking about here?

I don't want to get the wrong impression and under-/overestimate that feature.

Well doing full hd stuff for (x) windows is expensive. With a 2d accelerator window moving etc could be faster and use less cpu time and energy. But you could use some compiz or other coder to use the 3d gpu for it. It I am not completly wrong.

The snapdragon doesn't have a hardware 2D acceleration built in - it's not a missing driver. The community can't do anything about that ;)
What's the impact of it?

Are we speaking of a feature that's essential and will cost a lot of CPU power if not available?

_wb_ mentioned it's not that important as Snapdragon might offer a lot more CPU power than OMAP to easily compensate missing 2d acceleration.

I could imagine that it has another impact on power efficiency/battery life, has it?

What's the impact of it?

Pretty much what I was going ask.

Sure we are sticking with Linux. But x86 will most probably cry for latest windows games in all press and news coverage.

BTW: The snapdragon doesn't have a hardware 2D acceleration built in - it's not a missing driver. The community can't do anything about that ;)
Straight up and tell them the limitations then. :lol:

Seem to have been worked around. Link

I do wonder why they dropped 2d acceleration, tho.

^ Why are you questioning your boss?! :p   Want to find another job? :p

Simply want to learn how important that feature is.

It might be a nice advantage for the OMAP. If so it would be good to make it clear for everynoe :) .

So if the feature is helpful a clear explanation would help to strengthen the argument.

So in the end I do support my boss.

:)

(I love logic. It proves/explains everything ;) )

If you want to use a PC at home, use a PC.

I do but home is not the only place I visit.

The main reason to get a Pyra is to have a mini PC on the go.

But not the only one. Otherwise there wouldn't be discussions of a dock station and video output types

I am the one with the risk here, so having a HUGE demand of people who want to buy it because they expect to play their favourite games on the go together with a ramped up production will lead to sudden death if they all start shipping it back to me because they can't play the games as they thought.

And why would they expect it if you aren't advertising it?

Our niche is full of smart people - telling the world there's a handheld that can play stuff like FF14 on the go will lead to thousands of new customers who don't think ahead...

Well I'm happy to be part of the elite, thanks :)

Pyra won't have enough memory to even install windows, won't support windows and will cost as much as top smartphones from samsung (or apple). Don't you think this'll cool down a lot of hot heads?

Pyra won't have enough memory to even install windows, won't support windows and will cost as much as top smartphones from samsung (or apple). Don't you think this'll cool down a lot of hot heads?
But that's what people might expect if they read x86 (the non elite ones ;) ).

Then they will be disappointed.

But that's what people might expect if they read x86 (the non elite ones ).   Then they will be disappointed.
So far I haven't heard of mass outrage of atom android tablets' users because they can't install windows on it. Maybe people outside of our small niche are actually smarter then we think

But that's what people might expect if they read x86 (the non elite ones ). Then they will be disappointed.
So far I haven't heard of mass outrage of atom android tablets' users because they can't install windows on it. Maybe people outside of our small niche are actually smarter then we think
They bought a Tablet, and not a PC. That's a huge difference.

I don't say this will necessarily happen, but it could.

But that's what people might expect if they read x86 (the non elite ones ). Then they will be disappointed.
They bought a Tablet, and not a PC. That's a huge difference.

I don't say this will necessarily happen, but it could.
I don't think this is a serious problem if you are careful with marketing and urging the community to do also be.

They bought a Tablet, and not a PC. That's a huge difference. I don't say this will necessarily happen, but it could.

OK, let's mention intel chromebooks then...

But yes, I see the problem there. You can't prevent bad sales anyway but is there an option to not allow (or heavily reduce) such returns? Something like a more strict return policy.

They bought a Tablet, and not a PC. That's a huge difference. I don't say this will necessarily happen, but it could.

OK, let's mention intel chromebooks then...

But yes, I see the problem there. You can't prevent bad sales anyway but is there an option to not allow (or heavily reduce) such returns? Something like a more strict return policy.
No, unfortunately not.

You may return anything without a reason within 2 weeks.

Back