So How Long Are We Going To Have To Wait For A Fullspeed Nds Emu?

Chip said:
nickspoon said:
I honestly can't see a DS emulator on the Pandora being playable. As somebody already pointed out, the two screens could be displayed at native resolution but due to the pixel density of the LCD on the Pandora they would be tiny.
Who says they both have to stay at native resolution?

Upper display is at 2:1, lower display is at 1:1. Here it is at approximately actual size:
ndsemusmvl8.jpg

I know there are some games that rely on the over-under screen positionaing, but this will work just fine for at least 80% of DS games. Now that the "hard part" is taken care of, all somebody has to do is write the emulator. :rolleyes:

Hm, I hope we can hide the OSD elements, it leads the Focus to much away from the Gaming Screen(s).
And yes, some games doesn't work this way, AFAIk Sonic the Hedgehog for DS needs booth screens for displaying the Level and Sonic often moves from one Screen to the other.
I hope, there is a way to hold the Pandora in Portrait mode, would make some DS releated things much more easy. My 1:1 Pandora Mockup tells me that it's possible but at least one controll element has to be onto the Touchscreen, D-Pad OR Control Buttons, depending, which side of the Device is up.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Chip said:
nickspoon said:
I honestly can't see a DS emulator on the Pandora being playable. As somebody already pointed out, the two screens could be displayed at native resolution but due to the pixel density of the LCD on the Pandora they would be tiny.
Who says they both have to stay at native resolution?

Upper display is at 2:1, lower display is at 1:1. Here it is at approximately actual size:
ndsemusmvl8.jpg

I know there are some games that rely on the over-under screen positionaing, but this will work just fine for at least 80% of DS games. Now that the "hard part" is taken care of, all somebody has to do is write the emulator. :rolleyes:

Hm, I hope we can hide the OSD elements, it leads the Focus to much away from the Gaming Screen(s).
And yes, some games doesn't work this way, AFAIk Sonic the Hedgehog for DS needs booth screens for displaying the Level and Sonic often moves from one Screen to the other.
I hope, there is a way to hold the Pandora in Portrait mode, would make some DS releated things much more easy. My 1:1 Pandora Mockup tells me that it's possible but at least one controll element has to be onto the Touchscreen, D-Pad OR Control Buttons, depending, which side of the Device is up.

That's not true, you could use D-pad and Keyboard buttons for control in Vertical mode.

-God Ginrai

Instead of having the on-screen buttons, why not just map those functions to number keys, that are called out in the options? Less on-screen clutter. Otherwise, that looks like a really cool idea.

God Ginrai said:
That's not true, you could use D-pad and Keyboard buttons for control in Vertical mode.

-God Ginrai
Yes, you can use the Keyboard to in portrait mode but belive me, this is really uncomfortable with the Display sideways and booth hands onto the base-case. ;) Holding the Pandora more like a book is the better way, at least for me. So one Thumb takes action onto the Touchscreen and the other thumb uses the D-Pad or the Action Buttons or the keyboard if you think the Gaming controlls are not far enough from the LCD.

We can open the Lid 180° (at least I hope so), so in theory, this portrait mode IS possible, even if the Pandora Design isn't the best for such a mode.

fusion_power said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Yes, you can use the Keyboard to in portrait mode but belive me, this is really uncomfortable with the Display sideways. ;) Holding the Pandora more like a book is the better way, at least for me. So one Thumb takes action onto the Touchscreen and the other thumb uses the D-Pad or the Action Buttons or the keyboard if you think the Gaming controlls are not far enough from the LCD.

We can open the Lid 180° (at least I hope so), so in theory, this portrait mode IS possible, even if the Pandora Design isn't the best for such a mode.

For gaming, I'd have to be pressing some sort of button, I can't stand having no feedback. I don't believe I would have any qualms with mapping ABXYLR to the keyboard

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Niros said:
chad78 said:
To put that in perspective - each DS screen is actually 3" - so the Pandora native-res versions would be less than half-sized. And people had a cow with the GBA went from 2.9" 240 x 160 screen on the GBA and SP - to a 2" 240 x 160 screen on the Micro.

You're talking about putting 10,752 more pixels in .5" less space.
I see what you mean, it would all be viewable, but at 0.5 inches it needs a magnifying glass. And the touch-enabled part would be difficult to interact with. It would be possible to 2x scale the touch screen or even toggle which screen is running at 2x scaled.

But of course this has already been mentioned.

No, No, No. He didn't say that the screen would be 0.5 inches. He said that the Pandora screen would be 0.5 inches SMALLER than the original size, which to tell you the truth, doesn't match up with his comments in the same post putting an original DS screen size at 3 inches and the size it would be on the Pandora at 1.5 inches.

People, for the love of god, please learn to read. I was comparing the Native-res DS screen on the Pandora to the (native res) GBA screen on the Micro. The Micro screen is 2" - the DS-Pandora screen is less than 1.5". The DS-P screen is, therefore, .5" smaller than the Micro screen. Each of the two DS screens has more pixels than the 1 GBA screen - 10,752 more to be exact. So not would the DS-P screen be smaller than the Micro screen, but it has over 10K more pixels than the GBA screen. If people think the Micro screen is too small, (and many do), then the DS-P screen would be much worse.

chad78 said:
God Ginrai said:
Niros said:
chad78 said:
To put that in perspective - each DS screen is actually 3" - so the Pandora native-res versions would be less than half-sized. And people had a cow with the GBA went from 2.9" 240 x 160 screen on the GBA and SP - to a 2" 240 x 160 screen on the Micro.

You're talking about putting 10,752 more pixels in .5" less space.
I see what you mean, it would all be viewable, but at 0.5 inches it needs a magnifying glass. And the touch-enabled part would be difficult to interact with. It would be possible to 2x scale the touch screen or even toggle which screen is running at 2x scaled.

But of course this has already been mentioned.

No, No, No. He didn't say that the screen would be 0.5 inches. He said that the Pandora screen would be 0.5 inches SMALLER than the original size, which to tell you the truth, doesn't match up with his comments in the same post putting an original DS screen size at 3 inches and the size it would be on the Pandora at 1.5 inches.

People, for the love of god, please learn to read. I was comparing the Native-res DS screen on the Pandora to the (native res) GBA screen on the Micro. The Micro screen is 2" - the DS-Pandora screen is less than 1.5". The DS-P screen is, therefore, .5" smaller than the Micro screen. Each of the two DS screens has more pixels than the 1 GBA screen - 10,752 more to be exact. So not would the DS-P screen be smaller than the Micro screen, but it has over 10K more pixels than the GBA screen. If people think the Micro screen is too small, (and many do), then the DS-P screen would be much worse.

This isn't a problem of learning to read, you just didn't phrase your post well.

-God Ginrai

chad78 said:
The DS screens can be scaled to 320x240 each, which would make them 1.875" on the Pandora, not much smaller than the GBA Micro.

SpacemanSpiff said:
The DS screens can be scaled to 320x240 each, which would make them 1.875" on the Pandora, not much smaller than the GBA Micro.
Yes, I'm sure that can be an option too. There are many ways to arrange the displays on the Pandora's one large display, and implimenting any/all of thim is trivial compared to actually writing a playable NDS emulator.

Really, you're arguing about what color you want your flying carpet to be. Kinda pointless if flying carpets don't exist :p

Chip said:
SpacemanSpiff said:
Yes, I'm sure that can be an option too. There are many ways to arrange the displays on the Pandora's one large display, and implimenting any/all of thim is trivial compared to actually writing a playable NDS emulator.

Really, you're arguing about what color you want your flying carpet to be. Kinda pointless if flying carpets don't exist :p

I'm just waiting for chad to push Exophase over the edge. Then we might get our flying carpet. ;)

-God Ginrai

This is slightly off topic, but I wanted to see how shared my opinion was. I have no problems with emulation, but I would not use the DS emulator unless 1) I owned the game I was emulating or 2) The system is no longer sold (and thus, the maker no longer makes a profit). Most systems fall under category 2, so I was curious if that's how people approach it. If the next nintendo handheld doesn't support old DS games, I'll have no problem using an emulator to play them then :D

anexanhume said:
This is slightly off topic, but I wanted to see how shared my opinion was. I have no problems with emulation, but I would not use the DS emulator unless 1) I owned the game I was emulating or 2) The system is no longer sold (and thus, the maker no longer makes a profit). Most systems fall under category 2, so I was curious if that's how people approach it. If the next nintendo handheld doesn't support old DS games, I'll have no problem using an emulator to play them then :D
You say "or" so I assume that you are fine with breaking the rule of one as long as you uphold the other. If that is true, then that is basically how I feel.

-God Ginrai

anexanhume said:
I have no conscience. I play it regardless whether it's being sold or not. :)
Although most emulators fall under category 2, as most systems being sold right now are too powerful to be emulated decently on current hardware.

hum , emulators of DS on PC are not finish yet and difficult to emulate perfectly DS

the best is no$gba which is not opensource and sometimes has different render than real NDS

so i'm sceptic about an emulator on Pandora, but it 's not impossible but difficult to do

Chip said:

But IF our "flying carpet" will be done some day, the Coder will already have some thoughts and Ideas for inspirations ;)

Here, Vertical usage is possible, even if the 2X scale doesn't fit exactly onto the Pandora LCD. We miss 16 Pixels (red Area), 8 left and 8 right, shouldn't be to dramatic. 2. Screen can be upscaled to, but then we wouldn't have additional input onto the screen except the NDS Touchscreen features of course.
ndspanverticalrc7.png

For that 1 big 1 small thing. I think they the swap thing would be an awesome Idea, but also have a lefty, righty mode, for games such as ouendan/EBA where there is some serious touchscreen action. Rightys would want the touchscreen big on the right bottom, so they can rest on the surface of the pandora, while lefties would want it on the bottom left of the pandora, etc...

Arialia said:
hum , emulators of DS on PC are not finish yet and difficult to emulate perfectly DS

the best is no$gba which is not opensource and sometimes has different render than real NDS

so i'm sceptic about an emulator on Pandora, but it 's not impossible but difficult to do
I can not tell you the amount of times I have seen the developers on this forum outclass emulators on the PC. I wholeheartedly believe that the devs we have gathered here are some of the best, and that if they can't do it, then no one can, and if they won't do it, then that just shows how stubborn they are. ;)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I can not tell you the amount of times I have seen the developers on this forum outclass emulators on the PC.
-God Ginrai

Agreed. Having a consistent hardware base really helps with compatibility. I'm in particular looking forward to the GL ES video renderer for the PSX emulator, as I know it will not cause me nearly as much headache as it does on my PC to achieve the same effect.

My 64bit OS, 64 bit emulator, does not play nice with 32 bit plugins, and most plugins are unfortunately compiled as 32 bit. By not using a variety of plugins, but rather code that all utilizes the Pandora hardware the best, I can definitely look forward to a great emulation experience on the device. At least better than that of my PC.

Back