So How Long Are We Going To Have To Wait For A Fullspeed Nds Emu?

jakshep2

Website
Visit site
that's IF it can go fullspeed, that is.
what timeframe would we be talking about here? weeks, months, or (hopefully not) years?

I have like 2400 NDS roms so I don't want them to go to waste :p

and, while I'm here, I'd also like to ask about N64 emulation, (I'm kind of directing this question to zod, but if anyone else can answer then that's fine, of course) how good is it looking speed-wise? is it looking more hopeful than when you first started? and can you show us any videos?

THANKS! :pandora1: :rolleyes:

jakshep2 said:
that's IF it can go fullspeed, that is.
what timeframe would we be talking about here? weeks, months, or (hopefully not) years?

I'd also like to ask about N64 emulation,
Possibly forever. There is only one decent NDS emulator right now (no$) and it is closed source. Any Pandora NDS emu will have to be written from scratch. I believe somebody said they might look into the possibility of writing one, but you'll have to check Prophet's list to be sure. If/when somebody has any progress to report, they surely will report it here. Beyond that any guess is just that - a guess.

N64 progress is much the same. Zod is not a very secretive guy, so you can be sure that when he has an update, he'll say so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why people would want this - how exactly would you fit both screens on there? Why would anyone want to pay £200 to emulate a £100 device?

If all you're interested in is plundering the oceans just get a DS Lite, and one of the many cartridges that allow you to boot your own roms from a memory card.

will be good to see both NDS and N64 emulation on the pandora but def wont be avaliable for some time after the release of the pandora thats if it does at all

I believe somebody said they might look into the possibility of writing one

i believe zod said that Exophase was gonna take a look

Perhaps we could bribe the author of no$ with a free Pandora (paid for by interested community members), or regular donations?

I have an open source NDS-emu already ported to Pandora running about 90% of the games I tried fullspeed right here... anyone interested? Just kidding :lol:

jakshep2 said:
I assume you own and paid for all of those games ;)

Why would anyone want to pay £200 to emulate a £100 device?

Unification.

ashdjones said:
I don't understand why people would want this - how exactly would you fit both screens on there?
Well, if you read any of the previous topics about DS emulation, then you would know many ways to fit both screens, because that subject is discussed every time a DS topic comes up.

Some ways are:
  • Use one screen larger than the other
  • TouchScreen on Pandora, Top screen on TV-out
  • Vertical
Also, Some games don't really need the second screen, so you could just use one screen for those games.

jakshep2 said:
There were that many DS games? o_O

Mutilator said:
I believe somebody said they might look into the possibility of writing one

i believe zod said that Exophase was gonna take a look
I really hope he does.

PlopperZ said:
ashdjones said:
Why would anyone want to pay £200 to emulate a £100 device?
Unification.

Agreed.

On the Subject of N64: I believe, knowing the capabilities of the Pandora, that once Zod takes out any dependencies for the PSP for Daedalus, (which could take a while) that it will run slightly faster than the PSP version on a 600 MHz clock. I'm hoping that Zod can get it running fullspeed without the need to overclock it to 900. (The more you have to overclock it, the less battery life and chance for HiRes video plugins, as well as netplay) Obviously Zod's first release will probably not be the fullspeed, not overclocked to 900MHz version. ;)

-God Ginrai

jakshep2 said:
YAR! Then ye be having multiple copies of the same game in every released language, Aye, matey?

Since 2,400 is about how many different ROMs *exist* for the DS.

As far as those cards that let you loot the seven seas on the DS itself - Nintendo has been suing them into non-existence recently.

I agree that spending $330 to get a device to emulate a $130 device that you can YARRRR up real good for less than $50 is not the best business decision. Especially given that:
  • the emulation will not be at full-speed - where the native device will be, of course.
  • The emulated device only has one screen - where the native device has two
  • Most, if not all emulators (especially first-gen emus) won't play every game for a system - where the native device will play every single game for itself, (including those games like Guitar Hero and Slide Adventure: Mag Kid and Boktai that neat / are enhanced by physical attachments to the native device).
I do agree that having a DS emulator *could* be a nice addition - if it is done well - and adding all the emus we can get is fine by me - but I just see a lot of hurdles to make it feasible to play. But I'm not going to complain if I someday I could play the New Super Mario Bros. on my Pandora! :)

I also see that buying a $330 system that could possibly emulate a $130 (+$50 for ROM access) system - AND a $180 hacked DS - might not be the best use of money either...

[Just a side not to anyone who might be working on a DS emu for the Pandora - please give us an option to ignore one of the screens, and pick which screen, and have just one DS Screen take up the full Pandora window. There are some games, like Super Mario 64DS, where I hardly ever look at the bottom screen. Thanks!]

ashdjones said:
I don't understand why people would want this - how exactly would you fit both screens on there? Why would anyone want to pay £200 to emulate a £100 device?

If all you're interested in is plundering the oceans just get a DS Lite, and one of the many cartridges that allow you to boot your own roms from a memory card.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken the DS has a 4:3 video mode and the Pandora's is a wide screen video mode, more like 16:9.... It would be perfect, you could have both screens there side by side!

The two screens issue is not a problem at all. The res of each DS screen is 256x192 and the res of the Pandora is 800x480. You have plenty of room to put both screens at their native resolution.

As for problems with buying a £200 console to emulate a £100 console. What about buying a £200 console to emulate a £30 console such as the game boy.

For the timescale we will most likely see DS emulation start becoming playable after the first year since all the code has to be written from scratch. Maybe leading up to full speed a year or so after that.

In short, don't hold your breath.

God Ginrai said:
On the Subject of N64: I believe, knowing the capabilities of the Pandora, that once Zod takes out any dependencies for the PSP for Daedalus, (which could take a while) that it will run slightly faster than the PSP version on a 600 MHz clock.

There's a hell of a lot of stuff to fix, mind you. Just for starters the renderer, and more importantly, the entire dynarec which is a big piece of very complex code. At least there would be need for a ARM code generator to be written.

Also, I don't think zodttd has actually started doing anything else than looking at the code.

Niros said:
The two screens issue is not a problem at all. The res of each DS screen is 256x192 and the res of the Pandora is 800x480. You have plenty of room to put both screens at their native resolution.
Native Resolution ≠ same size
Native Resolution ≠ playable size.

However, each "screen" of the DS at native resolution on the Pandora's 800 x 480 4.3" screen - *Would be LESS THAN 1.5 inches diagonal.*

(About 1.47485" to be precise. That's 1.18" × 0.88" (3cm × 2.25cm) at Pandora's 216.97 PPI, 0.1171mm dot pitch)

To be playable - there would *have to* be some scaling.

To put that in perspective - each DS screen is actually 3" - so the Pandora native-res versions would be less than half-sized. And people had a cow with the GBA went from 2.9" 240 x 160 screen on the GBA and SP - to a 2" 240 x 160 screen on the Micro.

You're talking about putting 10,752 more pixels in .5" less space.

if i renember correct someone said that nds emulator would probally allow you to switch between screens as most games you only need one of the screens for the majority of the game. like one as a map and one as your character ingame.

but we will have to wait and see what happens be a neat feature to have both N64 and NDS but il be happy with all the other great emulators/homebrew that will come out

I tried writing a DS emulator for the PSP half a year ago, its still only able to play a few demos (and very slow), but I might improve and port it to pandora once I get one.

Back