Snes9X4C (For Caanoo) V20101010 - Beta Release

Orion4874 said:
GPH added the ability to overclock in the last update. Wouldn't that work with all the emulators?

Where do you overclock? I have no menu option for that.

I think they meant, it is now possible to overclock (for Apps that run in Userspace).

blues2 said:
thanks for the emulator. i can't wait for the full version. can you also add on your todo list anologe stick sensitivity adjustments. for example when i try to change an option in the home menu it moves way too fast even when i just click it left or right. i have to try several attempts just to change an option from "true" to "false".

You can also change an True/False Option using the B key.

Last edited by a moderator:
blues2 said:
thanks for the emulator. i can't wait for the full version. can you also add on your todo list anologe stick sensitivity adjustments. for example when i try to change an option in the home menu it moves way too fast even when i just click it left or right. i have to try several attempts just to change an option from "true" to "false".

I believe you can go up and down (one by one) with the I and II buttons and then change true false values with B?

SiENcE said:
Orion4874 said:
GPH added the ability to overclock in the last update. Wouldn't that work with all the emulators?

I think they meant, it is now possible to overclock (for Apps that run in Userspace).

Sorry, I'm still waiting for my Caanoo so I'm not entirely sure. I figured you could overclock universally with this update.

Orion4874 said:
SiENcE said:
Orion4874 said:

Sorry, I'm still waiting for my Caanoo so I'm not entirely sure. I figured you could overclock universally with this update.

No, the update just enabled the same overclocking mechanisms, the Wiz has, for the Caanoo.

SiENcE said:
Popcorn Dave said:
Just one little thing, it seems a bit quiet compared to PicoDrive, is there any way of increasing the volume a bit?
Mh. NoIdea.

ozzuneoj said:
It would be nice if the screen (not set to full screen) were moved down a few pixels though, to account for the missing rows of pixels on the Caanoo's screen.

Good tip. It's now on my todo.

Keen said:
It will be overclock option in the next release?

Sure.

TODO updates:
* full ROM-Browser
* ROM-Browser: Shoulder Button scrolling +10 -10.
* Overclocking
* full Netplay
* OpenGL Scaler
* Fullscreen: move Screen down to avoid the Caanoo Screen problem
* Save/Load Menu Options

Just to clarify, the missing pixel problem is actually more apparent when not using full screen mode. I'm not exactly sure why. So, the adjustment should be made for both full screen and 1:1 mode. If you want to see an example of this, play the game Shadowrun. It has a sort of "square" display, and there is a thin gray border around it. With fullscreen turned off the top of the gray border is not visible. In fullscreen mode, it is visible, but the game is heavily stretched and looks quite ugly.

I'm curious though, is there any way to have the game scaled up to fit the screen vertically (minus a few pixels on the top of course) without having it stretched horizontally as well? I know its probably only an extra 16 pixels in most cases, so it isn't much to work with, but if its possible it'd be a nice option so we could have a slightly larger screen size without the distortion that "full screen" causes.

The rest of the emulator is amazing though. Seriously, the controls are just excellent. I've had no problems whatsoever with the analog stick, no visual anomalies, no noticeable slow downs... the only thing I've noticed so far is that the sound effects and music in some titles sound a little rough or harsh, like the sound isn't represented quite right. The music in Blackthorne is a good example. I don't know if there's much that can be done to improve the way sound and music are replicated, but it seems like it isn't quite perfect yet. Still, its more than sufficient for me.

ozzuneoj said:
The rest of the emulator is amazing though. Seriously, the controls are just excellent. I've had no problems whatsoever with the analog stick, no visual anomalies, no noticeable slow downs... the only thing I've noticed so far is that the sound effects and music in some titles sound a little rough or harsh, like the sound isn't represented quite right. The music in Blackthorne is a good example. I don't know if there's much that can be done to improve the way sound and music are replicated, but it seems like it isn't quite perfect yet. Still, its more than sufficient for me.
I noticed this as well, the sound on rikku2000's cansnes was 100% on point, absolutely beautiful, although that was probably the only thing that I would say was working very well in it.

Not sure if that helps finding the fix any, but I also notice a severe scratchy sound when playing most games.

also a battery life indicator if not too hard to tap into.

jb0yx said:
I noticed this as well, the sound on rikku2000's cansnes was 100% on point, absolutely beautiful, although that was probably the only thing that I would say was working very well in it.

Not sure if that helps finding the fix any, but I also notice a severe scratchy sound when playing most games.

You can incease the SoundQuality by using the "-sq X" commandline Option.

Code:
Rates: 0=0, 1=8192, 2=11025, 3=16000, 4=22050, 5=29300, 6=36600, 7=44000

Edit the Snes9x4C.gpu file.

Code:
./Snes9x4C.gpe -sq 3 > ./log.txt 2>&1

Use -sq 3 for a 16000Hz SoundQuality. Soundquality slows down the FPS.

We really need Overclocking :). Where can i find OC code for Caanoo?

SiENcE said:
jb0yx said:

You can incease the SoundQuality by using the "-sq X" commandline Option.

Code:
Rates: 0=0, 1=8192, 2=11025, 3=16000, 4=22050, 5=29300, 6=36600, 7=44000

Edit the Snes9x4C.gpu file.

Code:
./Snes9x4C.gpe -sq 3 > ./log.txt 2>&1

Use -sq 3 for a 16000Hz SoundQuality. Soundquality slows down the FPS.

We really need Overclocking :) . Where can i find OC code for Caanoo?

I just tried this (even setting it to 4) and it still sounds fairly rough.

SiENcE sir! I want to thank you very much for your work! I'll share an image with you that you might enjoy ...
snestv.jpg

Playing mario on a TV. When fullscreen mode is activated, this looks absolutely beautiful ... pretty much exactly like what a normal SNES would look like.

If you are intending on adjusting the size of the screen so it doesn't get cut off by the Caanoo bezel, I also request that you also allow full resolution full screen mode as well! That way, when playing on a TV it still looks as native as it can.

Second :rolleyes: I saw that the latest firmware allows programs to access USB peripherals such as gamepads. This emulator would be amazing, combined with TV-out, if I could use my SNES pad (with it's USB adaptor) as well. Perhaps multiplayer mario kart by way of USB hub :lol: I realize that it's not a trivial task.

thanks for your work!

traylorpark said:
SiENcE sir! I want to thank you very much for your work! I'll share an image with you that you might enjoy ...
snestv.jpg

Playing mario on a TV. When fullscreen mode is activated, this looks absolutely beautiful ... pretty much exactly like what a normal SNES would look like.

If you are intending on adjusting the size of the screen so it doesn't get cut off by the Caanoo bezel, I also request that you also allow full resolution full screen mode as well! That way, when playing on a TV it still looks as native as it can.

Second :rolleyes: I saw that the latest firmware allows programs to access USB peripherals such as gamepads. This emulator would be amazing, combined with TV-out, if I could use my SNES pad (with it's USB adaptor) as well. Perhaps multiplayer mario kart by way of USB hub :lol: I realize that it's not a trivial task.

thanks for your work!

:) thx.

Yeah i also though it would be fun to attach USB-Joypads and or Wireless Joypads to USB-Host of our lovely Caanoo. One problem. I only have my old Snes-Joypads but no Adapter.

I can see a german Flag on your TV. So you are german ;-) ? Where can i get this Adapter?

This is the adapter i have, it works flawless on every pc ive tried it on (no third party drivers required, it just installs as soon as you plug it in). This is also a very common adapter.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11707

im not sure if they ship to europe though. Playing 2 player Super Mario World with TV-out would be so awesome!!!

ozzuneoj said:
I'm going to do some more experimenting, but I set it to 3,5,7 and while a little bit better (maybe placebo) it still hear the scratchiness I was mentioning. This was a rough edit before I went to work, like I said still need to test more, I'll also see if I can't find a rom that the sound sticks out the most in

jb0yx said:
ozzuneoj said:
I'm going to do some more experimenting, but I set it to 3,5,7 and while a little bit better (maybe placebo) it still hear the scratchiness I was mentioning. This was a rough edit before I went to work, like I said still need to test more, I'll also see if I can't find a rom that the sound sticks out the most in
Ok. I take a look into the old cansnes port.

SiENcE said:
jb0yx said:
ozzuneoj said:
Ok. I take a look into the old cansnes port.

ok, so just did a side by side comparison, at some point (after I tested cansnes) I think my right (while looking at the screen) speaker has been blown, the left speaker works and sounds great, however low volume

the cracking is the blown speaker, headphones makes it go away...

no actions required apparently

-sq 1 gives the nasty crackle I'm hearing from the right speaker (that's blown)

-sq 2 seems fairly decent for most of the games I've tested nice balance of sound quality/speed

-sq 3 seems to be better obviously, but don't notice too much of a difference and it slows the game down noticeably (static frame skip)

-sq 7 sounds great and when set to auto frameskip, the slowdown is not bad at all, it's only when you static the frame skip is when you notice the speed improvements

SiENcE said:
:) thx.

Yeah i also though it would be fun to attach USB-Joypads and or Wireless Joypads to USB-Host of our lovely Caanoo. One problem. I only have my old Snes-Joypads but no Adapter.

I can see a german Flag on your TV. So you are german ;-) ? Where can i get this Adapter?

Hahaha, nope, I'm not German. Though I did celebrate Oktoberfest out here in Tokyo! That was great. I'm from the US. My English friend gave me the TV ... I think he got the TV from someone else ... so, its been quite the community TV.

I got my SNES USB adaptor (and NES USB adaptor) here RetroUSB. Fun stuff!

i tested this snes9x4C a lot. 50-60 games or more

i notice no problem so far. i tried several games. all of them work. some of them are really slow, but work normally, no glitch, no freeze.

all games tested with full scale (fullscreen) option enable.

star fox, work great = 4 fps
Super Mario kart work great= 6 to 8 fps
MArio world work great, 30 to 40 fps
Donkey kong country , work great 20 to 40 fps.
Final fantasy II, work great, 20-30 fps
Casltevania 4= work great, slow when need some transparency in stage 2 like 10 to 20 fps, otherwise 30 to 40 fps
super adventure island 4= 15 to 30 fps.

NO GAME at 60 fps or more than 40 fps

i tried 50 to 60 games. NO GLITCHS, NO FREEZE, NO PROBLEMS.

note: im ** VERY ** happy to have this emulator, but i doubt it can have the same performance than pocketsnes for wiz. mario kart and fzero have 50-60 fps all the time on the wiz with fullscreen at 800mhz with transparency off.

maybe Snes9x4c will need optimization, but with a overclock option it willhave a nice speed up. my caanoo work great at 750 mhz.

Thanks Science !!! its very fun to play snes on the caanoo with a bigger screen than wiz

Optimization for sure. But first i want to cleanup everything.

If you have Tips todo Optimization tell me (best compiler options? and how to use OpenGLes for scaling aso. ...)

SiENcE said:
and how to use OpenGLes for scaling aso. ...

some time ago i've tried to come up with a generic solution to use an opengl texture instead of the framebuffer to avoid tearing on the wiz.
the result was sadfully not that convincing, because the texture lies swizzled in memory, thus you cannot access the pseudo-framebuffer in a linear way as you normally want to do.

you can still take a look how i did it, source code is here. I've always wanted to test this method with some emulator, but never got the time. feel free to ask more if you're interested or have any questions.

*edit*
quote from exophase out of the original thread
Swizzling textures may be faster (than software) if you want scaling too, but for just rotation for fixing the tearing this isn't going to be an attractive alternative. Unfortunately :/

Back