Snes9X4C (For Caanoo) V20101010 - Beta Release

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
First Snes9x4C release for Caanoo. Still beta 2!

title.png

Whats new?

Code:
ver 20101227
------------
-improvments on standard roms + ~20% Speed
-Transparency Option added (if off) + ~25% Speed
-some small bugs fixed
-NetPlay disabled

Code:
ver 20101010
------------
-ROM-BROWSER added
 *only if no ROM is specified during startup via: ./Snes9x4D.gpe romfile.smc
-CHEAT (*.cht files) support added
 *put a *.cht files for your ROMs into the SRAM Folder ".snes96_snapshots"
-Bugfixes and Menu fixes
-Soundbug when quitting removed
-NETPLAY Client support added (not playable yet - only for testing)
 *someone have to host a Snes9x session (Snes9x-1.52_fix4 <- tested and best compatibility
 *later i will add this to inGame Menu
 *you have to adjust the Snes9x4C_Net.gpu and rename to Snes9x4C.gpu

Download:
http://crankgaming.blogspot.com/2010/12/snes9x4c-for-caanoo-v20101227-beta-2.html

old:
http://crankgaming.blogspot.com/2010/10/snes9x4c-for-caanoo-v20101010-beta.html

Very cool! This is playing really well already! I can't wait to see the finished version.

Some additional Infos about this Emulator.

* ZIP is supported (one rom into a zip)
* I made most special Chips working (FX1, FX2, SA-1, SDD1, DSP1-4, OBC1, C4, all High-Res Games)
* Speed is not that good but it depends on the ROM you play

TODO:
* Overclocking
* full Netplay
* OpenGL Scaler
* full ROM-Browser

Please report any Issues. Functionality (Menu, Options aso.) and Compatibility (ROMS) seperate please!

Code:
KNOW ISSUES

Functionality:
-No Fullscreen support for HighRes Games

Compatibility:
FX1
*Stunt Race FX
*Vortex
FX2
*Dirt Racer FX

If someone can do a googledocs InCompatibility chart, this would be great?

Argh. Picked the day I decided not to bring the Caanoo to the office. Thanks for releasing this - Can't wait to try it out.

Hi SiENcE, many thanks for you hard work.
The navigation in the menu is very hard, maybe it needs deadzones? If you want to scroll down in the Rombrowser, you have to hold the stick on a certain point, otherwise the scrolling doesn't work at all. It would be nice to sroll page by page with stick right or the shoulder buttons.

nice to see the snes on the caanoo :D

i know its only a beta so there's guna be bugs such as and said above about rom selection been hard due to no dead zone on the dpad.

Also noticed a few games not running such as doom, some games running slow...

anyway its a great start so thank you.

a quick video of it running on my caanoo for anyone who cant wait

paul3100

CKeichel said:
Hi SiENcE, many thanks for you hard work.
The navigation in the menu is very hard, maybe it needs deadzones? If you want to scroll down in the Rombrowser, you have to hold the stick on a certain point, otherwise the scrolling doesn't work at all. It would be nice to sroll page by page with stick right or the shoulder buttons.

Yeah i know. You can also you HELP1 & HELP2 to scroll the List 1 by 1.

I will add Shoulder Button scrolling +10 -10.

paul3100 said:
nice to see the snes on the caanoo :D

I noticed you use gmenu2x. Using this you can turn on ROM-Selector of gmenu2x and use this to start Snes9x4C. I only made this basic build-in rom-browser for users not using gmenu2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
SiENcE said:
I noticed you use gmenu2x. Using this you can turn on ROM-Selector of gmenu2x and use this to start Snes9x4C. I only made this basic build-in rom-browser for users not using gmenu2x.
great work, I've re-packaged this with picklelauncher, works very well from my testing

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9YQSUB10

ss.jpg

hope you enjoy it, tell me what you think

credits go to
SiENcE for Snes9X4C
Pickle for picklelauncher
mariomonsters.com for the font
ruinne_07 for the backround image

HeWhoCorrupts said:
Is the game save support for RPG's? I know in PocketSNES you had to manually select "save SRAM" Do you have to in this emul? or will it just keep the save?
yea, once you save a game it creates a folder in the directory, you can import your srm files from other systems that usse snes9x, i just imported all my save games from my dinoo running snes9x4d

edit: it't automatic, once the game rom initiates a save to disk action, it generates the srm file

Wow, this emulator works extremely well already! I've played a couple of rather obscure games (Shadowrun and Drakkhen) and they seem to play flawlessly. It would be nice if the screen (not set to full screen) were moved down a few pixels though, to account for the missing rows of pixels on the Caanoo's screen. Shadowrun uses a very small screen as it is, so losing a few pixels on the top is pretty noticeable. It doesn't seem to be a big problem in "full screen" mode, but it does distort the graphics quite a bit.

Picklelauncher is a nice addition to the emulator as well. Its much easier to navigate than the original one.

All in all, I'm totally impressed. I just got my Caanoo on Saturday and on Sunday I was excited to have ScummVM, Genesis, MAME, Atari 2600 and NES support, but I was missing SNES support... by that evening there was SNES support! If this is any indication of what is to come, this is going to be an incredibly well supported platform. I'm so glad I bought one of these. :)

Just one little thing, it seems a bit quiet compared to PicoDrive, is there any way of increasing the volume a bit?

Great job, SiENcE. Thank you.

Tried Mortal Kombat 2. It runs a bit slow and there is some sound and frame problems.
It will be overclock option in the next release?

Popcorn Dave said:
Just one little thing, it seems a bit quiet compared to PicoDrive, is there any way of increasing the volume a bit?
Mh. NoIdea.

ozzuneoj said:
It would be nice if the screen (not set to full screen) were moved down a few pixels though, to account for the missing rows of pixels on the Caanoo's screen.

Good tip. It's now on my todo.

Keen said:
It will be overclock option in the next release?

Sure.

TODO updates:
* full ROM-Browser
* ROM-Browser: Shoulder Button scrolling +10 -10.
* Overclocking
* full Netplay
* OpenGL Scaler
* Fullscreen: move Screen down to avoid the Caanoo Screen problem
* Save/Load Menu Options

thanks for the emulator. i can't wait for the full version. can you also add on your todo list anologe stick sensitivity adjustments. for example when i try to change an option in the home menu it moves way too fast even when i just click it left or right. i have to try several attempts just to change an option from "true" to "false".

Back