Snes

DemonStar55

chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai
Website
demonstar55.phpnet.us
I was wondering if there was an adapter for the SNES that could read off of some type of flash card such as SMC or SD and play games that are 'backed up'

possibly for Genesis too.. or NES because I have those systems too, maybe even 2600 even :p

there was a pirate CDrom for SNES that blugged into the cart slot and took snes roms--good luck finding it these days, though. it sold for about $150 +shipping. Otherwise you could always make yourself a flashcart.

as for the other systems you named--I don't recall any piracy hardware at the time, but I've seen flashcarts for all three of them constructed recently by people nice enough to post instructions. one example.
Actual dev carts for these systems might not be out of your price range these days too--but expect to be constructing a flasher.

edit: actually a quick search turned this store up:
http://www.tototek.com/

Flash carts are nice, but something like an M3 or Supercard for SNES or Genesis would be great. I'm surprised nobody's done it yet. Whoever is the first will probably make some good coin off of it.

Yeah, because SNES isn't the most-wanted emulator on the 2X! And no PSP owners ever use that system's SNES emu! Nope, nobody cares about SNES roms at all. It's a dead scene.

Ravnos posted on Feb 10 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
Yeah, because SNES isn't the most-wanted emulator on the 2X! And no PSP owners ever use that system's SNES emu! Nope, nobody cares about SNES roms at all. It's a dead scene.
SNES emulation on the SNES :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos posted on Feb 10 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
It's amazing--like you can read my mind :lol:
don't get me wrong, it'd be nice, but the big money is in 'current' systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that when I say "big money" I'm not talking in terms of MS/Sony/Nintendo money. I'm talking big money in terms of the emulation and homebrew scenes. The people at GPH for example will probably be living comfortably off the sales of the 2X at the rate it's been selling, and I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect those kind of sales for an M3-like device for 16-bit consoles if it's reasonably priced and easy to use. No one would be going broke on of it.

Well for the SNES you could always get a supergameboy

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/...pergameboy.html

I got one for 99p off ebay.

Then you could play original gameboy/gameboy colour games on the SNES

Then a gameboy flashcart for the backup gb/gbc games, or if you can't find an old flash cart you could always buy a new flash cart and use a GB-Bridge

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/flash_card/gb_bridge.htm

this changes the voltage from 3.3v used by the GBA to the 5v used by the old BG/GBC carts.

Then get the GBA Movie player

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...roducts_id=3983

Which takes compact flash cards.

From what I have read so far it will play NES roms up to a size limit of 256k.

or now you can get the M3 thingy

http://www.m3adapter.com/main.htm

Which apparently plays SNES on the GBA.

Now you can use your Compact Flash and SD cards! and save the expense of the buying the tototek Flash Cart.

of course by the time you stack all these things up on top of each other you won't be able to see the screen.

I gave up after buying the supergameboy, the SNES and supergameboy were dirt cheap, after that things started getting expensive and the chances of it working got less and less. The chipped xbox seemed to be the best way to go to play backed up SNES/NES/GB/GBC/GBA on the TV, although apparently you can't beat the quality of the original equipment.

I was also put off by the price of the tototek flash cart and the fact that I have loads of SD,XD,MMC and CF cards that aren't interchangable between machines and wanted to use them instead of buying yet another format.

Depends on how badly you want to play SNES I suppose.

ummm, you can't play snes on the M3 through the super game boy using the gb bridge in the middle. There's a *little* more of a difference between the gb and gba systems besides what voltage the cart likes.

and snes emulation on the GBA--let me sum it up:
a handful of games work at "good speed"
but "good speed" means about 50% speed
...unscaled without sound and music,
and those handful of games are all shooters.

Honestly it's amazing that the GBA can even do that.

As far as there being no money in it, the tototek stuff is very new and they are selling like hotcakes. I love emulation, but you just cant beat the original hardware. Graphically they are pretty much there, but even Zsnes doesnt have perfect sound emulation yet.

Anyone want to buy a homemade Starfox 2 cart? :D

I have a backup unit with a diskdrive for my SNES.

I just use normal floppy disks, split big roms into more than one file and span them across disks. It isnt compatible with some games that use special chips in the cartridge or are too big too fit on the backup units RAM.

These things were around back in the day, how do you think most games actually got dumped to a file in the first place? Some are still floating around for sale on ebay etc.

Fuck, I remember seeing those things in the Asian video game store that used to be in one of the malls here. I used to want one pretty bad, but fast forward 13 or so years and it seems like a bit of a pain in the ass. I guess floppies were really all there were in those days, but times have changed and we have relatively cheap flash memory and RAM. Grahf's right, emulation's close, and for the most part it's good enough, but it's still not the same.

I always wanted a Super Magicom or a Game Doctor, etc years ago.. but could never afford it. When the tototek ones became available, i said aaaaahhhh fuck it and pulled out the credit card :D

to tell ya guys the truth.

at this point in computer hardware and emulation. I wouldn't even bother with copiers or flash carts or what ever u call them.

on my p4 3ghz PC I can use near perfect emu for SNES,GENESIS,PC ENGINE, N64.

so not point on using actual hardware but that's just my preference.

tho I did have a 32meg SNES rom copier back in 1994.. I think I paid $525 for it when I was a senior in HS.. dman that was alot of money.

3ghz P4 and you only get "near perfect"Genesis, SNES and TurboGrafx? that's weird since I only have a 2ghz P3 and I DO get perfect emulation. (not on the N64 though that thing is a pain, but still mostly playable aside from controller issues.)

No doubt he meant (or should've meant) the accuracy of the emulation, even though most old-gen emulators are in the high-90 percentage in accuracy.

emulation never seems to feel right.
The controls are slightly sloppy, the colors or sounds are often wrong--the truth is there's nothing quite like the real thing.

don't get me wrong, neogeo emulation for example, has been very good for the longest time, but you *can* still tell the difference. Especially in the controls. At least the little man in my head that makes me pay for piracy hardware and arcade systems swears he can tell the difference.

The only perfect emulation I've seen is backwards compatability with the old hardware in the new system. And that's usually not the best either.

Back