Will The Nes's Rf Adapter Work On The Genesis Model 2?

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I just got a Genesis model 2 without an RF adapter (I need one for my TV) and an NES with an RF adapter. Is it possible to modify the NES's RF adapter to work for the Genesis? I also have a Madcatz RF adapter for SNES/GCN/N64/Xbox/Playstation I could modify, but it doesn't seem to work as well as the NES's RF adapter.

Well, I could get a VCR... but I haven't found one yet... and I don't even have an AV cable for the Genesis yet, though I could probably solder one directly to the system or use some thick wire to fit in the plug.

AFAIK the genesis already supports composite video out of the box... it's just not connected to any output. You can tap the signal from the pcb where it has that weird av output jack and use that instead of an rf adapter. All you need is to connect two cables to that spot and connect them to an rca jack of your choice. That will give you instant composite. You can source the stereo signal from the headphone port of the genesis 2.

I tried finding some pinouts and guides on how to do this but haven't found anything that I would consider a good tutorial. Do you have any experience with this kind of stuff? Have you soldered before?

This is a comprehensive guide which contains a lot of stuff you might be interested in but I find the wording to a bit vague at times:
http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod

I don't know about the nes rf adapter. I think it wouldn't be worth the effort of modding that thing when you can have a better video signal with less soldering. Also, the genesis 2 apparently didn't output stereo but mono through it's a/v connector, so getting an actual stereo signal from the headphone jack is also a good idea while you're at it. All it takes is a few cables and 3 rca jacks.
Or you go all the way and get the best signal which would be s-video for you over in ntsc land and rgb if you happen to have a tv that supports it. rgb is by far the most superior signal.

xnopasaranx said:
AFAIK the genesis already supports composite video out of the box... it's just not connected to any output. You can tap the signal from the pcb where it has that weird av output jack and use that instead of an rf adapter. All you need is to connect two cables to that spot and connect them to an rca jack of your choice. That will give you instant composite. You can source the stereo signal from the headphone port of the genesis 2.

I tried finding some pinouts and guides on how to do this but haven't found anything that I would consider a good tutorial. Do you have any experience with this kind of stuff? Have you soldered before?

This is a comprehensive guide which contains a lot of stuff you might be interested in but I find the wording to a bit vague at times:
http://www-unix.ecs....u/~dhowland/mod

I don't know about the nes rf adapter. I think it wouldn't be worth the effort of modding that thing when you can have a better video signal with less soldering. Also, the genesis 2 apparently didn't output stereo but mono through it's a/v connector, so getting an actual stereo signal from the headphone jack is also a good idea while you're at it. All it takes is a few cables and 3 rca jacks.
Or you go all the way and get the best signal which would be s-video for you over in ntsc land and rgb if you happen to have a tv that supports it. rgb is by far the most superior signal.

I think you are mistaken... It is the model 1 that only outputs stereo sound from its headphone jack... and only the model 1 has a headphone jack.

I have the model 2 (the smaller, more common one) and I can't find a headphone jack anywhere on it. The model 2 already has stereo sound from the AV jack. I don't think I have a TV that supports SCART, but I have an HDTV that supports composite, component, s-video, RF, and HDMI inputs. My other TV, which I use for my older game systems like my NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, and Genesis, only has an RF input. I don't think adding in an S-video output on my genesis is worth it.

I've done a lot of soldering. I've modded an LCD game with a headphone jack and volume slider... I've etched a few circuits, replaced joysticks and cords on controllers, disabled the lockout chip in my NES... a whole bunch of stuff. I have a cheap soldering iron (which I'm kind of scared to use because I'm afraid it will burn down the house if I accidentally leave it running) that I bought for replacing the caps in my Game Gear and replacing the fluorescent tube in my Game Gear with some LEDs. I think it still works.

I did find a pinout of the AV port for both the model 1 and the model 2... as well as the 32X and the Nomad:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

As you can see, the model 2 does output stereo sound, but the model 1 does not.
From the look of that diagram, the RF modulator must be inside the RF adapter. With the NES, the RF modulator is on the circuit board of the NES, not in the adapter, so clearly this would not work.

My Madcatz RF adapter DOES have the modulator inside it, I am pretty sure... though I may be wrong. I am having a hell of a hard time opening it, though.

Since the RF adapter for the genesis has the RF modulator inside it, that must mean that the Genesis must be sending it composite video and audio signals, so in theory, I should be able to put some composite jacks in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back