Small Favor To Ask For Drmd Beta Testers

bast525

Can someone please please help me out with this! It's been so long since I initially tried so many games and I've completely forgotten quite a bit...

Is there any way we can please get a list going, of all the games that had broken sound, AFTER the DAC fix and the speed fix (music in Sonic games). I remember that there were quite a few games that had completely broken sound even after these fixes, like Vectorman, where the only sound would be random bursts of static.

I remember having at least 10 games that had this problem... and I guess now with Beta 7 the problem has been fixed, but now I can't remember what games I need to put back on my SMC!

So guys if you know/remember games that had this problem please please let's get a list going here!

EDIT: to get the list started...

Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Battletech

Rock and Roll Racing!! Sounds great now
Jungle Book
Aladdin
Cannon Fodder
Power Drive
Stargate
Theme Park

oh my lord theme park!

look forwad to the next cheap bums version ;)

and the fodder, if i hear the guy screaming his last breath, in full i will sing "war never been so much fun"

this past month ive really fallen in love with my geepee,

ah theme park... I've missed that game... have to throw that on there.

Sonic Spinball
Aero the Acrobat 2
Battletoads (I think)
Cool Spot
Dinosaurs for Hire
Jurassic Park: The lost World
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
Jurassic Park (maybe?)
Mortal Kombat 2 (maybe 3 as well)
Mutant League Football (probably Hockey also)
Super Baseball 2020
Taz-Mania (I think)
Theme Park
WWF: Royal Rumble (what? It's a good game..)
Zero Wing
Spiderman and Venom in Seperation Anxiety

thx shinneri you just reminded me of another big one, Cool Spot! I do remember having that one on there and taking it off, very sadly, after I found the sound not to be working.

Was I the only one who loved this game?

I used to love coolspot (on the amiga) it was one of the first games to include random animations while the character was standing there doing nothing (like adjusting glasses, playing yoyo, blowing bubblegum bubbles). Was great to see game developers starting to pay more attention to those details.

I did find that there is a problem now in Thunderforce III with the sound.

One thing that I noticed though is the speed of the music in Thunderforce 3 seems very slow compared to beta 5. Changing the sound quality and/or the clock speed did not make a difference.

Also at the "continue" screen there used to be music. Now a single tone sounds once and that is it, no music. Kind of acts like the music in vectorman used to before beta 7.

Also at the "stage select" screen everytime you move the cursor over different planets a ringing tone sounds. There should be music playing instead of these tones. Plus there are some glitches that appear under the cursor as you move it around.

Otherwise seems great. Sound is fixed in other games that used to not work.

Reesy - any idea why the sound in NBA Live ('94 and 95 I've tried) still doesn't work? You get a couple sounds at the intro, along with the DAC of "E... A... Sports... it's in the game!", but nothing in game. This is in Beta 7.

I did notice music seemed slowed down in a couple other games but wasn't sure, was gonna compare with Beta 5 but didn't have time.

bast525 posted on Mar 14 2005 at 08:12 AM said:
Reesy - any idea why the sound in NBA Live ('94 and 95 I've tried) still doesn't work? You get a couple sounds at the intro, along with the DAC of "E... A... Sports... it's in the game!", but nothing in game. This is in Beta 7.

I did notice music seemed slowed down in a couple other games but wasn't sure, was gonna compare with Beta 5 but didn't have time.

Lemmings - perfect
Sonic - Perfect
Madden 97 - 97% perfect (timing a little off)
Rolo to the rescue - perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteFalcon posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:01 AM said:
Earthworm Jim now has music in Beta 7 :)

The sound is now very very good

we should be updating these on the compatibility list

or editing them back into the first post...

sPaCe :ph34r:

Yeah I've just noticed another problem with the fm timers, they are currently running to slow as I screwed up a calculation. I've done a quick fix and it fixes the music in games like Outrun but it has slowed the emulator by 2fps. Not sure why yet I'll have to check to see if there's anything I can do.

Oh yeah Earthworm Jim 1, 2 and a lot of other games have now a full working sound!

The DAC is better ("Seeeeeega!" is better). :)

And yet I noticed the bgm sound quality is a little bit less clear than before.

And yes games as Thunder Force III have their music slowed down (damn it's my favourite shooting game! :D)

Another World still has a wrong palet (even if the sound is good now :)).

Mickey Mouse - Castle Of Illusion and Quack Shot have no bgm anymore... :(

Gynoug still has the title screen screwed up.

Mystic Defender still has the screen flickering and sound works only when the game is paused.

Decap Attack still has a palet problem and works very badly.

Still has the layer problem I told you Reesy in games as Street Of Rage, Legend Of Thor...

After these "little" fixes, yes I think we could call it DrMD 2.0! :D

Amazing work Reesy. ;)

Here's the list of games reported on my tracker as having sound problems.

Comix Zone
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Lemmings
Ren & Stimpy's Invention
Prince of Persia
Cannon Fodder
WWF Wrestlemania Arcade
Yu Yu Hakusho
Vectorman II
Vectorman
Pirates Gold
Kid Chameleon

I've not had much chance to try the beta 7 yet so I've not updated the tracker thingy.

I did try ren and stimpy which still has no sound at all :(

feel free to update stuff tho

Reesy posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
Yeah I've just noticed another problem with the fm timers, they are currently running to slow as I screwed up a calculation. I've done a quick fix and it fixes the music in games like Outrun but it has slowed the emulator by 2fps. Not sure why yet I'll have to check to see if there's anything I can do.

If there is no solution to get the fm timers working in all games without taking a hit in framerate you may want to consider having a setting for tailoring timer emulation options.

Games like thunderforce III could use the settings like beta 5. Games like Aladdin could use the settings like beta 7. This way games could run at optimum speed and have the best sound set without impacting framerate for everything, even the ones that worked fine before. Since you have the ability in the emu to set and save parameters for each game this would only be done once. After that everytime you would load the game the optimum settings would automatically be loaded. This gives the best possible speed, kind of like a "speed hack"

The button system menu (right/left to skip roms) is great but B button should be used to go back to the menu instead of launching the rom as A button does.

This is great to have full sound in a lot of new games now! :)

Back