Small Favor To Ask For Drmd Beta Testers

Drumaster posted on Mar 14 2005 at 02:35 PM said:
And yet I noticed the bgm sound quality is a little bit less clear than before.
Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean the sound is crackly maybe?
And yes games as Thunder Force III have their music slowed down (damn it's my favourite shooting game! :D)
I've fixed this now ;)
Another World still has a wrong palet (even if the sound is good now :)).
Not sure if I can do anything about this, I'll try changing the line I update the palette on and see if it fixes this. If it does the only thing I can do is add an option to choose what vdp line to update the palette on.
Mickey Mouse - Castle Of Illusion and Quack Shot have no bgm anymore... :(
Now fixed
Still has the layer problem I told you Reesy in games as Street Of Rage, Legend Of Thor...
Yeah I've lost the email you sent me, could you send it again and I'll check it out.

I've worked out what was making the new fm timer code 2fps slower, I was doing a floating point calculation. I've now removed this and its running at the normal speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone test Fantasic Dizzy, I get the Codemaster Sound at the begining but thats it, no video at all.
I want fantasic dizzy . :angry:

Please

While we're listing bugs,

there's still a major scrolling problem in zombies ate my neighbors, and I think it's the same problem as Contra Force - Both of these games work fine in fgen32 so it must not be a prob in fdaves core.

Regarding the Pallette problem in Another World - This only started happening when the brightness control was implemented, so maybe that will help you track it down.

Another game that works in fGen32 and not in DrMD is Rings of Power

Also, there's still a problem with some driving games like Lotus 2 & 3 and Top Gear 2 - can't shift into 2nd gear!! very strange prob but looks like an issue with Cyclone

I would dearly love to see some of these probs addressed.

Reesy > Yes I mean the sound is a little bit more crackly than before (fm emulation, not DAC).

For Mickey, Quack Shot and Thunder Force III it's great. ;)

I'm gonna remake the Street Of Rage and Legend of Thor saves because I deleted them and I'll send you them as soon as I can.

Concerning Another World, frolik is right, the palet was perfect before you implemented brightness control. ;)

EDIT : Saves sent! ;)

sweet so some of the small new problems already fixed.

I played Thunderforce III in Beta 7 and didnt' notice the sound was slow? But did notice it was messed up in some places like when selecting the planet to go to... music in the actual stage seemed fine to me? But then... not TOO familiar with this game so ... well whatever if it's already fixed :D

So wait is Comix Zone working now? and kid chameleon? Those are DEFINATELY two I need to put back on my SMC!

EDIT: Yep Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon working perfectly now.

Reesy - dunno if this has been adressed already, but Samurai Showdown works, but for some reason, does not respond to pressing start, you can watch the demo though and I think the sound was not working before but it is now.

bast525 posted on Mar 14 2005 at 08:22 PM said:
> snip <

So wait is Comix Zone working now? and kid chameleon? Those are DEFINATELY two I need to put back on my SMC!

EDIT: Yep Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon working perfectly now.

I shit in my pants after reading this !!! Portable Kid Chameleon .... with sound ... >sniff< wow.

You know... I've had Kid Chameleon on cartridge forever, was one of the bargain bin games I picked up after getting a Nomad... never did like it much after giving it a 10 minute go... but damn there's a bunch of you guys on here that really love that game, so I'm gonna give it another try now that it's working on DrMD.

It better be good! :p

Reesy,

Have you managed to correct the bug that caused an infinite loop on some games?
e.g Rambo 3 time bombs and shinobi 3, end of round score calculations.

I miss the intro music that was in the Amiga version of Flashback :(

This is totally not an issue with DrMD, but rather the fact that the Mega Drive sucked ass when it came to music.

*goes and plays the Amiga Flashback .mod*

Greatest game intro theme ever!!

Oh, Global Effect had great music too....

Drewus posted on Mar 15 2005 at 09:35 AM said:
I miss the intro music that was in the Amiga version of Flashback :(

This is totally not an issue with DrMD, but rather the fact that the Mega Drive sucked ass when it came to music.

*goes and plays the Amiga Flashback .mod*

Greatest game intro theme ever!!

Oh, Global Effect had great music too....

I cant say I like the intro tune much, but after finishing Flashback in DrMD I can say I lovet the outro tune. I tried various versions of this song (including the Amiga mod, Roland MT32, SoundBlaster, Sega CD) and the one in DrMD (Beta 5 to be exact) is the best for me. There are still some glitches, but it has something about it anyway...

Drumaster posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:30 PM said:
Reesy > Yes I mean the sound is a little bit more crackly than before (fm emulation, not DAC).

Agree, with the great increase in compatibility a quality drop occured making 11kHz the best frequency - not too muffled like 8kHz and still washing away the cracking in the sound which is audible at higher frequencies.

The crackling is caused by the DAC sampling, if I turn off DAC there is no crackle. For some reason bass sounds like a crackle. Not too sure if I can fix this but I'll see what I can do.

Yes the score loop has been fixed, Shinobi 3 and the others with this problem work fine now

Reesy - any idea why the sound in NBA Live is not working? this is in beta 7

BGM in Super Monaco GP is also missing.

Does your fix about BGM play now music in every game (Mickey, Quack Shot...) or did you fix each game?

Point calculation is messed up in Gynoug.

Never give up Reesy! :)

:p :D I really gotta throw the mushashi version of DrMD on my GP already so I can test some of this.

If anyone's testing games, please add NBA Live and Samurai Showdown to the list... NBA Live has no sound past the initial EA Sports screen, and Samurai Showdown doesn't respond to any buttons but otherwise seems to work perfectly

Reesy posted on Mar 15 2005 at 10:26 AM said:
The crackling is caused by the DAC sampling, if I turn off DAC there is no crackle. For some reason bass sounds like a crackle. Not too sure if I can fix this but I'll see what I can do.

Fixed this now. The bass now sounds pretty good.

Reesy posted on Mar 15 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
Reesy posted on Mar 15 2005 at 10:26 AM said:
The crackling is caused by the DAC sampling, if I turn off DAC there is no crackle. For some reason bass sounds like a crackle.  Not too sure if I can fix this but I'll see what I can do.

Fixed this now. The bass now sounds pretty good.
You're a god! :blink:

Your workspeed and dedication is incredible, Reesy!

Thanks a lot.

BTW, is there any hope that the final bugs in Cyclone can
be ironed out? fDave seems to be around again, and it
make DrMD just perfect.

And just for understanding: what makes it so hard
to de-bug Cyclone?

Bye
Sebastian

In order to debug Cyclone, you first need to know the M68K processor inside and out. Then you need to wade through each opcode implementation and check if it is correct.

It would be easier if there was a M68K check program. With the Z80 there is a program called Zexall its been ported to the master system and the spectrum. All you have to do is run the program and it goes through all of the opcodes and checks if they have been implemented correctly. Oh if only theres was a M68K check program written for the Genesis.

Back