Gp32 Mame Beta Testers Wanted

Could you add the setting file saving per game rather than global? As you probably know many games need completely different settings. Some work at 133 some need 166 some in between. It is hard to remember sometimes what game needs what parameters to play well and you often spend alot of time flipping back and forth to get the right settings.

Also is there a way to be able to map the start button to be used as an action button? This is useful so in vertical oriented games you can use it without having to put your hand at the top while playing which is kind of awkward. The way that could work is that when you flip the screen vertical it would automatically remap "a" to start.

It might be an idea to access all configuration via one button (i.e Select) and then use a menu system like Rlyeh's. This way all configuration can be handled in one place and of course have the option of setting hot keys for various functions (i.e Coin and Start).

Btw, if your still looking for beta testers, I'll be glad to help. Just PM me.

:)

DaveC posted on Jul 5 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
Could you add the setting file saving per game rather than global? As you probably know many games need completely different settings. Some work at 133 some need 166 some in between. It is hard to remember sometimes what game needs what parameters to play well and you often spend alot of time flipping back and forth to get the right settings.

Also is there a way to be able to map the start button to be used as an action button? This is useful so in vertical oriented games you can use it without having to put your hand at the top while playing which is kind of awkward. The way that could work is that when you flip the screen vertical it would automatically remap "a" to start.

Saving settings per game probably could be done, but would result in a lot more file writes (one per game, rather just than one for Mame). Apparently the SMC cards die after they're written to a certain number of times. I was concerned that evertime a new game was opened (SMC read) it would result in a new settings file (SMC write) being created. This will be OK once the settings are "stable", as the code only saves the settings if they've been changed.
Basically I'm not sure about this, so I'd like to have the opinion of some of the more experienced GP32ers before making that change. Remember there are about 700 games for Mame, each would therefore get it's own .CFG file.

For your 2nd point, if you mean that you want the Start button to be a fire button when the screen is rotated (done using the shoulder "R Button"), then I think that should already work. If the results of the WinDiff I've just run is accurate, then that functionality was already in the 1.2.2 version of the source code. I remember trying this recently and I'm sure it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't custom configurations be saved into one file rather than many. Say have a Global.cfg and Custom.cfg. If no settings were found in Custom.cfg then the Global.cfg would be read.

:)

Could you add the setting file saving per game rather than global?

I've had an idea about this can be done without creating too many SMC write operations. I'll try to get the changes done before Franxis releases his next version of Mame.

thegrimreaper posted on Jul 6 2005 at 08:18 AM said:
Could you add the setting file saving per game rather than global? 

I've had an idea about this can be done without creating too many SMC write operations. I'll try to get the changes done before Franxis releases his next version of Mame.

You would only have to write the file once when you set it. It is not like you need to write the file(s) every time you load the game. SMCs have write cycles in the 10s of thousands so writing 700 or so times is not going to kill it.

Also what about having the "start" mappable to the "a" button when in vertical mode? It is much more convenient than "a" to jump, fire, etc when vertical.

DaveC posted on Jul 6 2005 at 02:20 PM said:
Also what about having the "start" mappable to the "a" button when in vertical mode? It is much more convenient than "a" to jump, fire, etc when vertical.

Can someone please test this issue with Version 1.2.2 of M.A.M.E. (the current release at this point in time), it's available here:
http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,600

The few games I've tried seem to work correctly, as Franxis had already made this change long before I got my grubby hands on the code.

If you can give us a few example of games where the "Start Button" doesn't jump/fire in the same way as the "A Button" when in vertical mode, then I'll try to have a look at them before the next (imminent) release.

Oh yeah it does work now :blink: I didn't try it on the new release as it didn't work on the older ones . Never mind...

Back