Your Favorite Homebrew Games?

Optimus

Website
optimus.untergrund.net
From what I've seen, there are very few good homebrew games out there for the GP32 in the bunch of many mediocre stuff. Either in technical terms (graphics, sound, special fx) or in playability. Most of the games are done in a hurry so that the average coder gets the gratification of finishing his first game. I understand that. But it's a pitty there are so many garbage and rarely something good enough to enjoy. The most playable stuff in GP32 are emulators and game ports ;P

Though, recently I discover 1-2 more games that are nice graphically and quite playable. And so I thought there might be more homebrew games that I must check. I'll tell you the games that I find really good and I am here to listen to your suggestion. Or generally you could make a list of your favorite homebrew games here (I discovered the good titles I wasn't aware of from another list).

* The Minigame Project
* Lacuna
* Lady Killer
* Bolcatoid
* Bolcataxian
* Bolletes
* Elena
* ... can't remember much now

Please suggest me some more homebrew games that you think are worth enough to look at them.

From what I've seen, there are very few good homebrew games out there for the GP32 in the bunch of many mediocre stuff. Either in technical terms (graphics, sound, special fx) or in playability. Most of the games are done in a hurry so that the average coder gets the gratification of finishing his first game. I understand that. But it's a pitty there are so many garbage and rarely something good enough to enjoy. The most playable stuff in GP32 are emulators and game ports ;P

Though, recently I discover 1-2 more games that are nice graphically and quite playable. And so I thought there might be more homebrew games that I must check. I'll tell you the games that I find really good and I am here to listen to your suggestion. Or generally you could make a list of your favorite homebrew games here (I discovered the good titles I wasn't aware of from another list).

* The Minigame Project
* Lacuna
* Lady Killer
* Bolcatoid
* Bolcataxian
* Bolletes
* Elena
* ... can't remember much now

Please suggest me some more homebrew games that you think are worth enough to look at them.
Check out:
http://reviews.chemicalkungfu.de/

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the homebrew I've got on my SMC for now:
  • Bolcataxian
  • Lacuna
  • gpSpout
There's lots of other great ones too, like Bolcatoid, The Minigame Project, GPWar, etc. Just browse www.gp32x.de

- Alex

You should try GhostPix - it's a really good and polished picross clone :)

I think there's one called Sushi Panic, which is nice.
Lady Killer
GPSpout
Another World
Ah! Catsmanga Dou (or something like that...)
Visual Novel System (and visual novels, of course)
Bunny Traps

Actually Interpreters...
Flashback
Heart of the Alien

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

test the old demo of crocodingus ;)

Crocodingus is better than all the commercial games on the Gp32 :lol: A really good game :]

You should try GhostPix - it's a really good and polished picross clone :)

Ghostpix is great too! he's on my smc since the release :] and if you like picross, there's is "Mario Picross" on fGb32, and now, "Picture Puzzle" on RACE, the neogeo pocket emu :] great too but a little harder than others, because he don't tell you when you do a mistake :blink:

I think of Akanoid, Pizzaworm and ScorchedGP :] Very addictive :]

other than the ones already mentioned (and there are some great ones),
-gpfinalwar (best graphics of any homebrew I have seen, and fun too! try this c & c clone)
-drunken frogger (awsome)
-drunken arcade master (just as awsome. inspired by wario ware)

Well while this topic is fresh. I have to know if there is anything the gp32 emulates better than the gp2x? :blink: Also fell free to tell me what else it can do better.

Instead of dissing other peoples efforts why not show us how it should be done. You don't even seem to have made much of an effort to actually check out what is in the archives before making blanket criticisms.
There is a load of stuff that is very enjoyable and surprisingly good quality. There are games like Spout that are very basic, no sound or colour, but are still very addictive. Too many people seem to judge games by the effects in the menus or wether it has some 'character' like Mario in it rather than on the gameplay.
There is some amazing stuff out there. Look at Elena, Eskiv, Ghosts on Toast, Arcanoid, Nazca Dreams, Crazy Jack - the list just goes on and on. If people actually did download homebrew I am sure we would have a lot more quality programs. It must be discouraging to see no one is interested and that everyone just assumes it is all crap. If only a few download someone's work what incentive is there for them to contribute a second time ?
If you are the Optimus who put Megaflicks in the archive, you can code, if not then there is the Wub's SEUCK you could use to produce something. Either way, if you find other peoples efforts lacking, why not do something to correct the situation ?

Back