Silent progress

Maybe a real poll and discussion about a headset built in on top or under the Pyra. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nokia and some Samsung phones use the same TRRS order as Apple - I wouldn't really say any of this is "giving in" to anyone's standard, just acknowledging that companies decide to wire mic input in differently (second ring vs sleeve).

Just curious: Is there any chance that "internal switch" means it would automagically detect stuff? Or is it literally a small (dip?) switch that we'd have to flick based on what we have?
Internal = automatic + manually I2C controlled. Texas Instruments is our friend: TS3A225E

Not legally, but ED has been paying off Craigs debt one way or another.... so helping the preorders, helps ED.

ED has clearly said anyway there's likely won't be enough Pandora parts to fulfill all preorders, even if he had the money. Plus donations for the pre-orders don't go to make the financials better since these debts are not declared as HIS debts, as I mentioned. So, no, it does not help Dragonbox, it only helps the preorders left by Craig.
What are you talking about? The donation money for the pre-orders goes to EvilDragon. EvilDragon has already made the last batch of Pandoras. Hence, the money for all Pandoras left to ship out are already paid by ED, and any money for donations is money in his pocket and one of those already made Pandoras to be shipped out to an original pre-orderer.

-God Ginrai
ED has stated he (likely) will offer discounts to preorders.

Many thanks for the update, sounds like good progress is being made.

One question springs to mind : Would it be possible / make sense to have 1 'full sized' USB-A 3.0 Host Port instead of one of the USB-A 2.0 Host Ports?

If not then please consider supplying a compatible adapter to allow the 1x Micro USB 3.0 OTG to be used as a USB-A port via Dragonbox Shop.

One question springs to mind : Would it be possible / make sense to have 1 'full sized' USB-A 3.0 Host Port instead of one of the USB-A 2.0 Host Ports?
The OMAP5 only supports one USB 3 OnTheGo port, everything else is USB 2 - but (as you mentioned) using the OTG port via an (Micro-B-USB 3.0 to USB-A 3.0) adaptor is possible

ED,

You stated that the PCB design is 95% finished, does the PCB design take into consideration the mother-daughter design?

In case you wonder what the Micro USB Debug port is: It's basically the serial out port. You can connect it to a PC and it will register as USBtty device. No more hardware needed - so if you want to do some low-level kernel development, it will certainly be useful. The port can also be used to charge the unit. This makes it possible to use a USB3.0 device (i.e. harddisk) while the Pyra is connected to the charger.
It's a good thing I'm already married, otherwise I'd have to propose to you :D

Excellent! And not only in the way of "Oh, we solved the charging worries", but also at the same time pinpoint another "problem" - The hackability need for a serial port - that very few thought of, and just solve both. I'm impressed :D :D :D

ED has stated he (likely) will offer discounts to preorders.
Yes. This doesn't change the fact that EvilDragon has already made all his payments for the Pandoras, since he no longer has to buy parts or assemble any. Any money paid to EvilDragon for the donations, even if discounted, gives him money.

On a side note, I believe he said he would give discounts to the pre-orderers to buy one, not discounts for the donation fund to buy Pandoras for pre-orderers.

-God Ginrai

The serial port thing, does it mean that I can hook the pyra to my old printer with and print? :eek:
Most old printers use a Parallel port, although some did use a serial port I suppose, Apple printers come to mind.

So this port is typically as setup as a tty device, not sure how easy it could be to reconfigure it and use something like this: http://www.gwctech.com/product3.asp?listid=7&id=4&subid=10&pid=817&typeid=99

Although if you are using that you may as well just a regular USB to RS232 device.

Thank you ED!  This device is shaping up to be everything I dreamed it could be and then some!

Switchable headset jack = awesome!

USB 2.0 / eSATA combo port = awesome!

'Dedicated' microUSB charging port = awesome!  (Yes, there is a hidden use for this port too.)

microSD + eMMC & SIM integration = amazing!

1920x1080 screen = fantastic!

The flexibility and function capabilities of this device is going to surprise a lot of people - in a very good way.

Keep up the great work and thank you for the update!

The prya sure is going to be a sweet device once its built. I may have to save up enough to get one when it comes out :)

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

this is amazing! progress seems to fly now. the only thing that worries me is the keyboard layout.

this is amazing! progress seems to fly now. the only thing that worries me is the keyboard layout.
Don't worry I'm sure after 100 polls we will find a scheme that at least a small majority would like.

Don't worry I'm sure after 100 polls we will find a scheme that at least a small majority would like.
We'll use latin letters as action buttons, weird symbols on the DPad and greek letters on the keyboard.

Or we just leave it blank and include a waterproof pen for your own layout.

thanks for the nice update!

please let mweston care for the audio circuit part again!

:)

We'll use latin letters as action buttons, weird symbols on the DPad and greek letters on the keyboard.

Or we just leave it blank and include a waterproof pen for your own layout.
Awww - I thought that there would be a bag of wooden key-caps that we can carve our own symbols into and a tube of glue to stick them to the keymat.

Back