Silent progress

I am always thinking, ED has a job and is doing the Pandora support/shop and also developing the Pyra (and has a partner if I remember correctly). How does he do it?

He is some kind of time efficiency master or something, as I do not appear to be capable of doing most of that (in a good way) :)
coffee. lots and lots of coffee from what ive learned
I can only guess he has a Coffee IV drip and a catheter bag to keep breaks to a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headset on the side...would do good if you have it on your pocket and are listening to music on the go...volume weel would be nice by its side too.
so how would you play a game holding it and listen to the audio? Like someone else said earlier you would need a hole in your hand to do so.
ops...point taken

Maybe lower down left side? Hard to tell without holding an example in hand but I agree it can cause discomfort, never mind.

But it just came to my mind that bluetooth stuff may be possible? so no need for cables for headset and its jack can sit in front.

but but but if wireless is possible shouldn´t it be in the back in case you are sitting it on a table to mix music or more fancy wire-required operations?

gasp cough, I really don´t know now.

Headset on the side...would do good if you have it on your pocket and are listening to music on the go...volume weel would be nice by its side too.
so how would you play a game holding it and listen to the audio? Like someone else said earlier you would need a hole in your hand to do so.
ops...point taken
Maybe lower down left side? Hard to tell without holding an example in hand but I agree it can cause discomfort, never mind.

But it just came to my mind that bluetooth stuff may be possible? so no need for cables for headset and its jack can sit in front.

but but but if wireless is possible shouldn´t it be in the back in case you are sitting it on a table to mix music or more fancy wire-required operations?

gasp cough, I really don´t know now.
Or you can just use an L-shaped plug and the front and back work just fine...

-God Ginrai

I am always thinking, ED has a job and is doing the Pandora support/shop and also developing the Pyra (and has a partner if I remember correctly). How does he do it?

He is some kind of time efficiency master or something, as I do not appear to be capable of doing most of that (in a good way) :)
 Oh, that's actually easy. Besides tons of coffee and no sleep, I just let Askarus do all the work :p  

ED, you mention all the ports being on the back side of the unit. Is that literally true, or could some of the units be on the front or the sides? I'd have thought it unlikely the head-set/-phones port would be on the back for example, and I was wondering if the sides could be used for any of the ports (the charging/debug micro USB could do for example, as it does on a couple of phones I've owned).
Ports at the side wouldn't make sense (and increase the tooling / production costs for the case) and sadly there's no space anymore at the front area.

The backside is the only place where we can still fit the headset port.

If the port(s) go on to the sides, surely a camera can fit in the back.

o_O What else is going there?

-God Ginrai
Good question.

If you put ports on the sides, then you can't use those ports while holding it.

-God Ginrai
Doesn't stop me when I'm charging my phone and tablet. Could be the earphone port with a L-shaped plug as you said.

Crazy idea. Put that port under the Pyra. :lol:

You don't have to tightly grip a phone like you do a game controller.

-God Ginrai
Sadly I concede on having the ports on the side. :/

post-1-0-61260700-1392595383.jpg

Well, it looks like there still could be room on the back.

ED, you mention all the ports being on the back side of the unit. Is that literally true, or could some of the units be on the front or the sides? I'd have thought it unlikely the head-set/-phones port would be on the back for example, and I was wondering if the sides could be used for any of the ports (the charging/debug micro USB could do for example, as it does on a couple of phones I've owned).
Ports at the side wouldn't make sense (and increase the tooling / production costs for the case) and sadly there's no space anymore at the front area.

The backside makes sense to me for some use cases: if you put it on a table and connect it to an external audio system, it looks nicer at the back. Also when playing games in bed with earphones, it's nice if you can let the front of the device rest on your belly. The only advantage of putting it in the front is that you can use a cable that is 10cm shorter when using it like a handheld, but I think that's an insignificant advantage.

Oh, that's actually easy. Besides tons of coffee and no sleep, I just let Askarus do all the work :p  
I confirm that ;) .

@ headphone port position discussion:

I now have a setup at the Pandora office where I use the headphone port for speakers, and the USB-port for Mouse, Keyboard and DisplayLink (or the TV-out port instead).

With the headphone port in the front it's not comfortable to take the Pandora away if I need to do some stuff that is better done on the Pandora.

For gaming it's a real pain if you have that one port in the front and also cables on the back.

I'm looking forward to get rid of that Headphone port in the front.

Production of the pyra sure is moving at an amazing pace. I am sure it is too late for this, but I wonder if putting the SD slots on the sides could had made more room for other things. Since you insert the SD cards they wouldn't get in the way, but I am sure the sides are used for more important slots and switches. It was just an idea I felt like throwing out there. But anyways I am already quite pleased with outcome so far. I already know the pyra is going to be an amazing device no matter how it turns out. 

Is the Sim card port could be accssessible on the side? So that we would not have to turn off the Pyra to put or remove the SIM card. That would be very useful since I want to use my SIM card in my phone when I haven't to use data and put it in the Pyra when I need it.

o_O What else is going there?
 As you can see in the picture Natsu posted:

Volume control, SD Card Slots, Antenna and UMTS module.

Is the Sim card port could be accssessible on the side? So that we would not have to turn off the Pyra to put or remove the SIM card. That would be very useful since I want to use my SIM card in my phone when I haven't to use data and put it in the Pyra when I need it.
A secondary SIM card costs about 5 - 10 EUR here in Germany, is it that much more expensive in your area?

That's more than the costs added to the device when we put that at the side ;)

Additionally, a SIM card is stolen pretty fast if you can remove it that easily.

3. The touchscreen

The technical design of the touchscreen has been finished and is approved by me, now the production will begin.

We should get samples soon (I don't have a date yet, probably in about 4 - 5 weeks).

I've ordered the highest resolution and sensivity, anti-glare. So we should hopefully get the best resistive touchscreen as possible.
"All high PPI displays must have glossy finish as the matte film's grain size is similar to the size of the tiny pixels. If such a film would be used, the scattering light can be observed as a noise - actually very color saturated noise which totally ruins all the advantages of the screen (high bit depth, accurate colors, high resolution)."  http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com/

Dont know what ppi this sets in, but ive never seen a matte 5 incher at 1920x1080. At native res thats 440 vs 220 ppi of the display where the problem supposedly exists.  Viewing angles/distance and display technolgy is different, but still.

Dont know if they have indeed tested their hypothesis, but ive seen that stated a few places.

A secondary SIM card costs about 5 - 10 EUR here in Germany, is it that much more expensive in your area?

That's more than the costs added to the device when we put that at the side ;)

Additionally, a SIM card is stolen pretty fast if you can remove it that easily.
It doesn't work if you have a subscription.

I would like to take a subscription with 20go of data and unrestricted call and sms. I would use a feature phone with a secondary external SIM port, so that I would use the phone to call etc and the Pyra when I need data.

If someone want to stole something, he would rather steal sd cards instead of hardly remarkable and unusable SIM or the whole.

According the pcb photo, 3G module is on the side so it would be easy to do it, I like the idea of being able to change SIM as it is a simple card.

Back