Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

A tiny sensor with no external lens can be very good today
Yeah doesn't exist, there always needs to be something to focus the light onto the sensor otherwise you'd just get a bunch of blurry light. 

It is an aperture, not a lens. A lens is specifically an object which refracts/bends light. There is no refraction in the pinhole.

That's just silly word play though, I was trying to make a joke of ZetaNeta said: you can avoid having a tiny lens by using a relatively large box with a pinhole in it instead. :p

A sensor with no lens? I don't think so. 
Apart from wish to pick someones eyes out with a fondue fork, i still wanna take you attention, crumple it into a ball, and throw it against what i said.

I dont mean the small unremovable lens which the sensor was made with, but the external lens like ones you can find on a proper camera.

/me failed to find the picture where a german student eats a stack of paper out of rage, so he will just state that fact instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from wish to pick someones eyes out with a fondue fork, i still wanna take you attention, crumple it into a ball, and throw it against what i said.

I dont mean the small unremovable lens which the sensor was made with, but the external lens like ones you can find on a proper camera.

/me failed to find the picture where a german student eats a stack of paper out of rage, so he will just state that fact instead
You're still not making sense. Are you talking about a sensor? Then it has no lens. Are you talking about sensor, lens, and roundabout electronics? Then you're talking about a camera configuration (albeit a cheap and very bad camera).

You're still not making sense. Are you talking about a sensor? Then it has no lens. Are you talking about sensor, lens, and roundabout electronics? Then you're talking about a camera configuration (albeit a cheap and very bad camera).
The second one, and i disagree about their quality.

Ah. So what you're saying is that a small camera module can be of a very high quality these days? Yes, well...Quality is of course subjective and relative. A small, bad, camera with a cheap plastic lens is always worse than a camera with better optics, or a bigger sensor, or a more expensive DSP. Then again, it is a lot better than a small, bad, plastic lens camera from, say, 5 years ago. That still does not make it a good, desirable camera, it just means that the general overall quality of imaging hardware goes up with time.

But suppose you are taking a walk with your pyra and an ufo decides to come by to take a closer look at its wonders?

If pyra is the only hardware you are carrying, how are you suppose to take a picture proof of the ufo?

A cheap camera on the likes of 8mp should do the work in case the aliens don´t take pyra or yourself with them.

This alone should be reason enough to include one. :rolleyes:

Ah. So what you're saying is that a small camera module can be of a very high quality these days? Yes, well...Quality is of course subjective and relative. A small, bad, camera with a cheap plastic lens is always worse than a camera with better optics, or a bigger sensor, or a more expensive DSP. Then again, it is a lot better than a small, bad, plastic lens camera from, say, 5 years ago. That still does not make it a good, desirable camera, it just means that the general overall quality of imaging hardware goes up with time.
"Everything is relative", but i am stating that a modern 12-30 euro module is good enough to be used, unlike tons of people here say.

No wonder the poll change from nearly 1/2 and 1/2. No camera? Paranoia?

That's really disappointing. I may just get the regular Pyra.

Well, it may be about the same as weeks ago.

A camera is important on my book as much as a mic is important on my book, and so a full keyboard and game controls... there isen´t much else to talk about when I think it to be a creative tool.

The  Conny MI2 has 2 camera's (front and back), it also costs 40 euro's
0.3 megapixel
I hope there is at least an option for it, if not by default.

Almost feel like making a thread on why and why not do you want a camera and/or what camera would you settle for.

This poll results are closer than any other poll.

A front-facing one could be used for video-chat software on the go if you're trying to save phone battery life or if you don't have access to a laptop or desktop webcam at home. But if it just drives up the cost unnecessarily, it may be best to leave it out. 

Going with the "convergence device" thing, there really should at be a rear camera. I'm sure a rear camera would have a much heavier use

in everyday life and you can still WebCam and take selfies( :p ). Can even have a cover for the paranoid, which I believe is a large chunk of  "No's"

are coming from.

I have voted "yes", but I agree that for pyra developement it might be too

late to add it.

edit: I've just read a poll about the expected delivery. If it really is 2015 then I think it is yet not too late.

/edit

It is also important for me to have a cover for the camera (or a hardware switch).

Regarding the question: where to fit the camera? I own Motorola Droid 4. It is a slideout phone. Screen panel is quite thinn. It's thickest place is where the front facing camera is and it is 5mm thick.

As for the size: 5" (16:9) screen is about 11.44 cm wide. Pyra is expected to be 14 cm. So there is enough space on each side to add a camera there.

If it is not feasable to have a camera in Pyra, can we (people voting for 'yes' plus some of the 'no' votes) agree that it would be good if Pyra's successor would have a built in camera?

Back