Should I have received my final order eMail already?

With regards to the delay in black cases, is there a way to change our color preference to “don’t care”? When we selected color, the options were black and metal. If the copper cases only going to the folks who requested the metal color, i personally would prefer to change my color preference to whatever is easiest for ED/Askarus. I honestly dont remember what I selected.

I will take whatever case requires the least time and cost for repainting and labor. Even unpainted with the injection molding stretch marks is fine for me.
Post automatically merged:

And of course, thank you to @Askarus and @EvilDragon for all the hard work.

My take away from this is that the pyra is not a priority project, but something that someone might do in a spare 5 minutes they have.
I can understand why many people feel that way, although it's more that building Pyras is losing money, while it's the other shop activities that are making the money to support it. I'm just thankful that production is continuing in spite of all the issues it's faced.

My take away from this is that the pyra is not a priority project, but something that someone might do in a spare 5 minutes they have.
Well, it is not a priority project any more.
However now that I work on it again, it is more of a priority again than it was the last couple of years.

Consider that ED has just one employee who does the shipping and some other stuff for him, signing a contract with me that is dedicated to Pyra production can be considered as some kind of priority.

And as @ClockworkCoder said, the Pyra has faced tons of issues that were caused by third parties which did not deliver the desired quality.
ED is totally overworked anyways and except me there seems to be no other person out there who
- Is willing to do all the stupid reworking
- Has the skill
- Is available
- Is affordable

As long as there are functioning PCBs, the Pyra production will finally go on.

The whole situation is probably as bad as it sounds but better than it was during the last years.

Actually it's the american format for some reason.

The email that I received on May 3 states:

1715248169069.png

And you'll recall the pre-orders started in May...

Incredibly annoying that something talked about by so many is wrong / confusing.

An unambiguous way would be to globally replace the slashes with the chinese characters for date and month.
Whether you prefer writing 03日05月2016 or 05月03日2016, it's always clear.
There should be one exception however, that Pyra (pre)orders have to use the stardate system!

If you write the current gregorian calendar year as 2024, then the today date would sensibly be 2024-05-10. If you'd rather write the year like 4202, then today would sensibly be 01-50-4202. Just stick to one ordering of significance. Everything else is silly and - as everyone already knows - ambiguous.

Nah, we should just ditch the separators altogether, put the year in the middle, and determine the order of the day and month by the moon phase. When the moon is waxing, the day comes first, when it's waning, the month comes first. So today's date would be 10202405

Well, it is not a priority project any more.
ED is totally overworked anyways and except me there seems to be no other person out there who
- Is willing to do all the stupid reworking
- Has the skill
- Is available
- Is affordable

As long as there are functioning PCBs
, the Pyra production will finally go on.

The whole situation is probably as bad as it sounds but better than it was during the last years.
The four bold sentences sound really horrible.
Since I started interesting in this, I was at the university. Now, I am more than 10 years in the business for embedded devices and know some manufactures, consulting companies and suppliers.
For me, (just my feeling), it sounds like, that the project/product doesn't envolve during a decade. You have still the same issues as you have with the pandora.
I also never heard, that ED is not overworked and I don't want to know, how gray are his hairs now (I haven't seen a pictures of him for years).
Additionally, the interest in such a device decreased in the last years. Posts in this forum are decreasing. I am still wondering, that this project still exists and only got notified via mail that there are no real new posts.

Additionally, the interest in such a device decreased in the last years. Posts in this forum are decreasing. I am still wondering, that this project still exists and only got notified via mail that there are no real new posts.
It still exists. It's just that there hasn't been any good / significant news for quite a while - there are units being produced, but really slowly, and there's no capacity to make improvements.

Regarding software, I've lost track on where that's at - what's not working, and if anything is being worked on.

Re ED, I'm sure he'd want to update us if there's anything significant, and I'm certain we'd all know if it were ever to be cancelled.

I think Discord has killed off the boards a little too. I'd also like to see more activity here.

The four bold sentences sound really horrible.
Since I started interesting in this, I was at the university. Now, I am more than 10 years in the business for embedded devices and know some manufactures, consulting companies and suppliers.
For me, (just my feeling), it sounds like, that the project/product doesn't envolve during a decade. You have still the same issues as you have with the pandora.
I also never heard, that ED is not overworked and I don't want to know, how gray are his hairs now (I haven't seen a pictures of him for years).
1. Is affordable
The only ones fulfilling all the other requirements is probably Global Components and that would be stupidly expensive

2. Overworked.
Probably not. He just has enough to do with his main business that is profitable so that he can not spend a day per week to build Pyras.
The Pyra business is a loss and a labor of love.
So it makes sense for him to focus on what actually brings in the money.

3. As long as there are functioning PCB.
That is not an issue.
We simply only have a limited stock here and all the parts required are at Global Components.
There are some PCBs with issues but not the majority.
All I wanted to say is that I can not simply take hundreds of PCBs with me and finish all the Pyras at once.
There is plenty of stock left and we can order new boards any time.

4. As bad as during the last 10 years
Yes, the Pyra is a mess and you are far better getting a GPD Micro PC.
ARM is stupid and limits the software we can use.
The MicroPC also gets more battery life than the Pyra out of an Intel APU and can run any software just better.
The Pyra's design is old and the connectivity is bad. Micro USB and the likes ...
The software and OS are poorly evolving because caution and "making it all good" is preferred over including quick fixes that work for the time being.
The whole thing aims to be the perfect thing that does it all (like what the Pandora achieved) but fails at it.

I would have skipped many of the steps we do and just deliver a non-painted device which would not look as pretty but would save a ton of steps needed.
An other case of "making it all too perfect and fit it all" in my opinion.

The volume wheel is a mess and the whole audio system is convoluted.
It was great back then but is super outdated now because real analog volume controls is not possible.

We have some stupid display rotation going on that complicates everything to the demise. XFCE or MATE can rotate the desktop just fine.
Some games might not support the rotation but sho cares.

My fix for the "_" and ":" key are not pushed in the OS still as far as I know.
Seems like the approach I build on (we are using for more than 5 years now) is not good enough because it might not be the absolutely best and perfect way of doing it.
So better no fix than one that works and does not do any harm.

The dual PCB design was great thinking ahead back then but is not practical for today.
Not only did we get USB-C now which forces to upgrade the mainboard and the CPU-board anyways.
Also the space between CPU-board and Main-board is so tight that not even all the availables SoCs fit.
Better ditch that, put everything on one PCB and invest in some better cololing.

Today one would use a capacitive screen.
Resistive was nice back then, however the stylus does not even hit the "x" at the top right corner (close application) reliably.
I would remove the stylus and add in a bigger battery instead.

LTE is a mess. I tried to debug this with HNS but got ignored at some point.

All in all, so many bad circumstances happened that delayed everything and delayed it all by so much.
I would say that things could have moved a lot more efficient without the "make it all perfect and satisfy everyone" mentality (it's a mess anyways).
However ED is financing the project at a loss and doing his best to deliver all the Pyras so that everyone who paid for it will get one.

Let's just wait for the next couple of months and see how efficient we can get with building the Pyras.
I already figured out a few tricks to speed up the mass-production quite significantly.
So once the black parts arrive, the production should run quite smoothly.

Let's just wait for the next couple of months and see how efficient we can get with building the Pyras.
I already figured out a few tricks to speed up the mass-production quite significantly.
So once the black parts arrive, the production should run quite smoothly.
the Pyra is a mess and you are far better getting a GPD Micro PC

Be that as it may, I'm so glad the Pyra exists, and I'm still excited to get one... eventually...

Perhaps I'm stupid, and/or one of only a handful of people, but I still feel the Pyra is a small wonder (and not everything needs to follow modern trends).

Back