Shipping On The 4Th?

Monk said:
Cuetzpalin said:
Monk said:
Well, to be "fair" (not a word I commonly use in combination with busines with the Chi...ah, plastics factory) from the chinese point of view the Westernaers trying to get them to do top-dollar work for bottom-dollar isn't entirely great either.

^ Thumbs up!
May the ranters listen to you!

Hang on - I thought I WAS one of the ranters!!!!?!

There goes the rep... :p You are far to objective for the current breed of ranters. Go back to Youtube-Comments-School to learn how to post absolutely unqualified rants that gain attention from all the other professional ranters.

---
Do I hear another sequel to Monkey Island comming up? "Guybrush Threepwood combing through the blogosphere searching for the ultimate rant..." Gotta get out of here before Star Wars - The Flame Wars start...
(yeah corny, I know, scnr)

Last edited by a moderator:
paddy said:
After a re'reading of the last 8 pages ,i now understand that these first 1000 cases have been produced and painted and ready to ship out apart from a problem with the case company getting documents ready to ship ,now come on people this can't really be seen as a delay now can it ?

Has it delayed things? Yes it has
Do we have any ideas when it will be resolved? No we don't

Yea, I'd say we can call this a delay.

Two months is the normal delay time tho.

Yes it IS a delay but nothing major ,would the case company really want to hang on to these cases any longer than they need to ? i doubt it ,time is money and space is also money.

EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:
Which leads us to ask why you went with a Chinese company in the first place? Luckily Monk is much better at finding quotes than me, and I'm sure he's already busy beavering away looking for the multiple times that you said using a Chinese company was your only option, and producing elsewhere would have resulted in a much higher individual unit cost. Which makes me wonder about a later quote in the above quoted post:

Fatih worked together with that company for years and never had any problems.
However, he never had such a complicated project so far.

Creating the mould elsewhere would not have worked out unless people wanted to pay about 400 - 500 USD per Pandora (yep, the price for the mould outside of china is WAY higher).
Mould Injection itself (when you have the mould already) can also be done elsewhere - and this is what we're currently looking for for the next batch.
bart-simpson-generator.php?line=Next+time+I%27ll+have+more+then+a+one+supplier+to+depend+of.gif

Attachments

• bart-simpson-generator.php?line=Next+time+I%27ll+have+more+then+a+one+supplier+to+depend+of.gif
    bart-simpson-generator.php?line=Next+time+I%27ll+have+more+then+a+one+supplier+to+depend+of.gif
    38.1 KB · Views: 107
Gruso said:
valhalla said:
I expect nothing less than a text adventure with the embellished truth of pandora making. :D
You're already playing the text adventure.

Code:
You are standing on a road that stretches far into the distance. To the east is a case factory. 
 To the west, a murmur of restless people inhabit the woods. A volcano simmers on the north horizon.

> south

You are in a twisty maze of threads, all alike.

Damn!
Code:
> read update thread

You were pwned by a grue!

paulguy said:
Typo, also I don't think they could afford multiple suppliers for stuff...

Yeah... producing more moulds would even be more expensive... A LOT more.

Last edited:
craigix said:
We are planning to buy a 3D printer for our future endeavors. It's a credo of mine that we should be more in control of these things.

soooo jealous... I wanted this one but I don't have the cash right now - if I did though!!!

http://www.solido3d.com/

rick

spinghed said:
craigix said:
We are planning to buy a 3D printer for our future endeavors. It's a credo of mine that we should be more in control of these things.

soooo jealous... I wanted this one but I don't have the cash right now - if I did though!!!

http://www.solido3d.com/

rick

or you can try these guys...

http://www.shapeways.com/about/how_does_it_work

Pandora model is probably to complex maybe...

Alerino said:
+1 and now there's nothing much to be whining about... true bitches
i understand why OPT wants to go secretly with Pandora2.
Does the +1 include the dancing too?

You could build your own 3d printer with RepRap

Don't 3D printers run fairly slowly? I can't imagine waiting for 4000 cases to come out of one.

If 5000 cases have been produced (http://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717/status/12227075932)
Why OPT didn't order delivery rest first batch cases?

svs-57 said:
If 5000 cases have been produced (http://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717/status/12227075932)
Why OPT didn't order delivery rest first batch cases?
I ready that as 50% of the parts for the first 1000 are complete. Like they did 1000 of the button moulds, styluses, and one half of the lid. Just had to complete the other half of the parts.

WizardStan said:
Don't 3D printers run fairly slowly? I can't imagine waiting for 4000 cases to come out of one.
I think this would be for prototyping only.

Must be hard for OPT to go through the emotional rollercoaster of hope-fear-disappointment all the time.

If we're feeling it, they are going through it 10x more at least.

Friend of mine had some electrical scooters made in China. One big drama. And his sister has emigrated there years ago, is a manager at Price Waterhouse and that other fellow and is fluent in Chinese. She just didn't live in the same place as, or close to, the factory.

He said that if he would ever do business with any Chinese company again he'd make sure he had someone, or himself, on location at the factory watching every step of the way for at least the first couple of batches right until they we're loaded in containers and were on transport.

It's a learning experience. Only if this turns out to be truly vaporware I'll agree that OPT has been lying all along. Otherwise it's just enthousiasts being enthousiastic about things they really care about and wanting to share much too early where a big corporation would keep the lid on it. And although I can understand the frustration of people waiting much much longer then I am, I think such openness and the ups and downs that come with it are very much in the spirit of how this whole endeavor started.

paddy said:
Yes it IS a delay but nothing major ,would the case company really want to hang on to these cases any longer than they need to ?

1) This may be true in the abstract, but the $1.00/hour dude who's in charge of putting shipping labels on things doesn't give a shit.

2) They may not have all the cases, or there may be some unknown (to us) problem with them, so they need to cause shipping delays until they actually have product to ship.

#1 is more likely, of course, but everyone loves a good conspiracy, so let's all believe #2.

I'm not certain Graig's online rant on the Chinese was a clever move... At least not before the cases actually shipped.

Bear in mind that up until now not understanding English has been to the Chinese's advantage and concluding from that that they don't really understand it (or know people who are willing to translate) might be a tad naive.

I hope the team has considered the consequences of the Chinese reading and understanding these posts...

Gruso said:
valhalla said:
I expect nothing less than a text adventure with the embellished truth of pandora making. :D
You're already playing the text adventure.

Code:
You are standing on a road that stretches far into the distance. To the east is a case factory. 
 To the west, a murmur of restless people inhabit the woods. A volcano simmers on the north horizon.

> south

You are in a twisty maze of threads, all alike.

Damn!

Now that is funny.

Just what the thread needed, a bit of light amongst the gloom.

Thanks for the updates Craig & ED, keep the faith, it sounds like we're getting close to the end game, don't mess it up now by declaring war on China ;) .

Talking of the Chinese question it sounds to me like OP are experiencing the 'oriental mindset' in that it is better to lie and say yes than lose face and say no even when the answer is no. Not sure if this is to do with personal honour or just making life easier for oneself.

Also apologies to everyone for getting a little over excited when spotting a possible shipping date.

Man you have to sift through a lot of crap to try to get a status update around here

crade said:
Man you have to sift through a lot of crap to try to get a status update around here

Save yourself some hassle and bookmark pandorapress.net. The news is about as current as you'll get, even if it always seems to amount to "two more months".

Back