Set mouse buttons as A B X Y

Set mouse buttons as A B X Y in Xfce

• Total voters

When I said "optional" before (in my earlier post in this thread), something like xopher's setup is exactly what I meant. :lol:

I'd love to know how it's done too, please, if that's alright. It sounds like the sort of thing that should officially be in the firmware, to me. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Use scripts, map them to shortcuts in your XFCEbar like this and change on the fly...notice the mouse icon and the joystick icon ;)

Hmm. That *would* be more convenient.

Could you give an example of how you set up your scripts? (still new to this TBH)

No prob, use this thread

Then add launchers to the XFCE bar and point to the scripts, the icons come from the default icon sets for devices.

When you first set it up run the abmouse and normouse in terminal to make sure you have no errors to correct in your set up, good luck! :)

One thing to note, there is a delay after executing it and you will not have left or right click action until the script completes.....this does not disrupt the right nub from acting as clicker either so you can use both.

EDIT: I've been playing with Stuckie's Debian SD card and later will have a 1.0.6 xopher edition that will already have the desktop setup like (that is where the screenie came from) that for the user pandora...the mods have not been incorporated into skel unless Stuckie did it prior to uploading but anyone is welcome to take it and make more changes. I'll be posting a changelog featuring the mods I did to the Debian rootfs. Check that thread later for the link and the changelog, I'll have to get a Wiki account so I can add to that page also.

Then add launchers to the XFCE bar and point to the scripts, the icons come from the default icon sets for devices.

When you first set it up run the abmouse and normouse in terminal to make sure you have no errors to correct in your set up, good luck! :)

One thing to note, there is a delay after executing it and you will not have left or right click action until the script completes.....this does not disrupt the right nub from acting as clicker either so you can use both.

Ok. This is where I need help. I now have the shortcuts to abmouse and normouse on the desktop. How do I run them from the terminal?

And... how do I add launchers that point to the scripts?

EDIT: Ok, think I got it. I made a launcher for abmouse in my home directory and gave it the mouse icon.

normouse got the joystick icon.

Is it meant to be the other way around?

Lastly, why do I have shortcuts on my desktop anyway? can I safely delete them?

EDIT: I click on my launchers and nothing happens. But my shoulder buttons function as left and right mouse click as I set it up before. ... ? Right nub also works for mouse clicks at the same time.

xmodmap .pndXmodmapb (I press enter here right?)

[Ctrl-d] <--- Dont type this actual press Ctrl-d

EDIT: A remarkable thing - it's 2 hours later and I haven't touched my Pandora. I've tested now and shoulder buttons are still functioning as left and right click!

Hooray! This is just what I wanted in the beginning. ... but why? :blink:

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Ok. Been playing Wind & Water. Now, shoulder buttons don't work anymore. Launchers do absolutely nothing. The elation of this morning regarding the seemingly 'permanent' shoulder button mouse replacement must have been a fluke.

Now what? I obviously did something wrong...

Ok. Been playing Wind & Water. Now, shoulder buttons don't work anymore. Launchers do absolutely nothing. The elation of this morning regarding the seemingly 'permanent' shoulder button mouse replacement must have been a fluke.

Now what? I obviously did something wrong...
Not necessarily. Some PNDs remap buttons on open or close (or both). All I can suggest is that you reboot and relaunch though.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T want my shoulder buttons as mouse buttons?
I don't have my unit, but I will say this: When I first heard about remapping the mouse buttons the first thing I thought of was mapping them to the shoulder buttons, but after some consideration I think I will stick to the defaults for a while.

Mouse clicks should be a assigned to a button, not the swipe of the analog nub. When my Pandora arrives I will surely change the configuration so there is a proper click.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T want my shoulder buttons as mouse buttons?
Originally, before I got my Pandora, I thought shoulder buttons would be great and planned to implement it myself if it wasn't done. But then I got it and the nub kinda made sense, feels comfortable to me when I use it, but for the most part I use the touch screen for everything. The shoulder buttons being shift and ctrl is far more useful to me than being mouse buttons.

I have to say that being used to the current layout, remapping any of the other buttons is going to be irritating for me.... OTOH I play a lot of puzzle games, and have discovered that I really need a reliable way of right clicking with the stylus. Hold to right click rarely seems to work, especially if left click events are triggered on button-down instead of button-up. What I'm beginning to think would be really useful would be a way to temporarily assign Shift-Click as right click as required... that way when I am in a situation where that would be useful I could hold down the left shoulder button to turn my stylus taps into right clicks. Does anyone have any idea how this could be implemented?

-Neelix

Is shift-click something people use regularly on their Pandora? I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile optionally mapping the L-trigger to modify the touchscreen tap into a right click. It'd still also be shift, but now tapping would be right-click instead of left-click, so holding L-trigger and tapping would be the equivalent of shift-rightclick. You'd also benefit by not losing the valuable shift button.

Multiselect wouldn't work, of course, but I've never needed to do that. Moving the window can be remapped to shift-rightclick instead of shift-leftclick so that functionality would remain the same. The only catch would be if anything is specifically looking for shift-rightclick, and you simply want rightclick. Does shift-rightclick do anything we should be worried about?

Use scripts, map them to shortcuts in your XFCEbar like this and change on the fly...notice the mouse icon and the joystick icon ;)

screenshot.png
EDIT: added spoiler tags

ZOMG, xopher that is fucking beautiful! Nice conky theme :) .

What about asking the user on first boot instead? That way there is no default, and no need to change any config at a later date (unless they want to change it).

Code:

|_Mouse Config_______________________X|

|                                     |

| How do you wish to click?           |

|       O Right nub                   |

|       O Shoulder buttons            |

|       O ABXY buttons                |

|_____________________________________|

I gotta stop asciifying everything...

Very glad to see I am not the only one still struggling with this issue, and some very good suggestions.

Xopher, that is an awesome desktop.... er... Pandatop. I´d like to be able to do something like that.

With the idea of putting abmouse and normouse scripts on the desktop, I´ve gone through that whole process a couple of times, but it just won´t work for me. You can see below the screenshot with the scripts I made trying to follow the instructions. it just fails for me.

Would very much like this issue addressed in the next Hot Fix.

JohnD_screen.png

Whilst I likely wouldn't use it myself, I'm thirding that - xopher's setup for Hotfix 6!

Not necessarily. Some PNDs remap buttons on open or close (or both). All I can suggest is that you reboot and relaunch though.

Ok, tried that. No joy. My launchers do not work and I don't understand Linux enough to figure out why... :(

I placed my abmouse and normouse scripts in /usr/bin/ along with the xkbset binary, then I pointed the launchers respectively to /usr/bin/abmouse blah blah.... did you remember to chmod +x on your scripts? What is the output if you go to CLI and run abmouse? make sure your .pndxmodmap* files are in your homedir....just trying to think of reasons for lack of joy.

I placed my abmouse and normouse scripts in /usr/bin/ along with the xkbset binary, then I pointed the launchers respectively to /usr/bin/abmouse blah blah.... did you remember to chmod +x on your scripts? What is the output if you go to CLI and run abmouse? make sure your .pndxmodmap* files are in your homedir....just trying to think of reasons for lack of joy.

First, sorry for the really late reply - been tied up in the restaurant over the Easter period.

Is /usr/bin/ the home directory? In which case:screen110502-184553.png

What is CLI? and how do I run abmouse when I get there?

did you remember to chmod +x on your scripts?

I never saw that in the instructions. Only:

(chmod 777 xkbset)

6) in the terminal window, type

chmod 777 abmouse

9) in the terminal window, type

chmod 777 normouse

So no... I didn't chmod +x my scripts. What does this do? When and how should I do this?

Could you perhaps post a corrected version of http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56734-solved-mapping-mouse-buttons/page__view__findpost__p__919849__hl__abmouse__fromsearch__1

So that people like me (who have a whole shelf of 'The Complete IDIOTS'S Guide to' books and who need everything spelled out by the letter) can get this working?

Thnx. :)

Is /usr/bin/ the home directory? In which case:View attachment 494

What is CLI? and how do I run abmouse when I get there?

Hi there...../usr/bin/ is a path where a lot of your binary executables and scripts reside. If you type $PATH in CLI (get to that in a second) it will echo your current environment's path i.e. list directories that are known to your session to contain executable files. You can add your $HOME to the path but for the sake of not having to do that I recommended adding the abmouse and normouse scripts to /usr/bin so you can just type and most likely tab complete the command in terminal.

CLI - Command Line Interface, this is just another way of saying type in terminal, xterm, or your terminal emulator of choice. When you execute abmouse and normouse in the CLI you will be able to see if any errors are present and correct them in the script or place the missing files if any in the place they are expected. Hope that helps you out a little; if not, ask more questions until you no longer need to......if after typing abmouse or normouse you get a "permission denied" make sure you have set proper file permissions so it is executable by sudo chmod +x /full/path/to/filename or drop sudo if already root for whatever reason.

EDIT: Just reread your post.....since you performed chmod 777 type this from your homedir in CLI sudo cp -p *mouse /usr/bin then you can create your shortcuts with the /usr/bin path or outright type abmouse/normouse in the terminal or "CLI"

Hi there...../usr/bin/ is a path where a lot of your binary executables and scripts reside. If you type $PATH in CLI (get to that in a second) it will echo your current environment's path i.e. list directories that are known to your session to contain executable files.

I type $PATH

and I get:

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games: No such file or directory

I recommended adding the abmouse and normouse scripts to /usr/bin so you can just type and most likely tab complete the command in terminal.

How? How do I get to /usr/bin ??

When you execute abmouse and normouse in the CLI you will be able to see if any errors are present and correct them in the script or place the missing files if any in the place they are expected.

How do I execute abmouse and normouse in the Terminal?

if after typing abmouse or normouse you get a "permission denied"

After typing abmouse I get:

bash: abmouse: command not found

make sure you have set proper file permissions so it is executable by sudo chmod +x /full/path/to/filename or drop sudo if already root for whatever reason.

EDIT: Just reread your post.....since you performed chmod 777 type this from your homedir in CLI sudo cp -p *mouse /usr/bin then you can create your shortcuts with the /usr/bin path or outright type abmouse/normouse in the terminal or "CLI"

When I type sudo cp -p *mouse /usr/bin

I get:

bash: sudo: command not found

EDIT: lol Ok... after posting I see that text was supposed to be in italics. typed it in again minus the
+ and it asked for my password. then I type abmouse and my terminal fills with text and funny characters????? :blink:

I suspect you are overestimating my comprehension of what you are instructing me to do. I have no Linux experience - I use Win Xp and am an artist, not a techy. So I really need an 'IDIOT'S' guide. :)

Back