Shoulder buttons as mouse buttons?

Because its in bin you need to be root, seriously go and read up on linux file permissions, sudo and chmod, its 5 minutes reading for very useful knowledge. Being able to use bash wouldnt hurt either

Because its in bin you need to be root

Thing is, when I try to go into the root terminal, it asks for my password, which I give (correctly, I'm 100% certain), and it tells me my password is incorrect. Is there some other password I'm supposed to know? I know what the one and only password I've ever given to my Pandora is, so this confuses me greatly.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. And I swear I'm reading up, but I can't seem to find any references to this specific problem.

ETA: Through the regular terminal, using "cd /" and "sudo", I may have accomplished something. Though it's hard to be sure, since I was given no confirmation that anything actually changed.

ETA: Now to try and do this script file thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. And I swear I'm reading up, but I can't seem to find any references to this specific problem.
The problem is you're getting confused between roots.

There's two (technically three) "root"s.

There is the root of the filesystem, reached when you type "cd /".

There's the root user, the greatest user with super power over the entire system. root can create, modify, and delete any file in the system. It is very dangerous to be root which is why most systems do not allow you to log in as root.

There is a third, sort of: that is when someone says you need to "be root". As I said, you aren't allowed to log in as root, but sometimes you need to do something that only root is allowed to do. For that, there is the "sudo" command.

sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset

will say "as super user, do chmod ...."

It will then ask for your password.

Well, after much trial and error and help from all of you, I have finally managed, somehow, to make this work. Thank you all.

Though I had to sacrifice the ability to use the shoulder buttons in snes9x4p. Not a huge loss, but it'd be nice to have the ability to switch back and forth without having to go through all this every time. Let's hope there'll be an app for that eventually.

do you have permissions to write there?

Huh? How do I give myself permission? I thought this was supposed to be an open system.

As stated by gfrancisdev, it's a protection mechanism used in pretty much every modern operationg system; no regulat user have any business touching folders outside their home directory and/or removable media. On a multi-user system, this makes sense. On the pandora, not that much. When you first get your account created, your user is also installed in the "sudoers" file. That means you can temporarly gain full system access. This is only really practical in the terminal. Put xkbset in your home directory, then run this command from the terminal: sudo cp -v xkbset /usr/bin

It will ask for *your* password, and you will see nothing while typing it in.
Is "chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset" a command I should do as well? I see it mentioned on the wiki page, but no details are given as to what it is or what it does, or even how to do it. When I put it in the terminal, all I get is "chmod: changing permissions of '/usr/bin/xkbset': Operation not permitted". I'm guessing I've misinterpreted the wiki again.

Also, what about this?

"Create a script (file) with this as contents

#!/bin/sh

xkbset m

xkbset exp =m"

Again, no details are given as to how one would go about doing this.

use sudo before any commands like chmod - it will then ask you for your password

used mousepad and copy and paste the script lines and save it as appropriately named file.

if you want to get used to doing linux stuff like this why not follow instructions to setup screenshot that someguy did , he gives helpful comments on some common linux stuff

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54397-guide-screenshots/

good luck

Well, after much trial and error and help from all of you, I have finally managed, somehow, to make this work. Thank you all.

Though I had to sacrifice the ability to use the shoulder buttons in snes9x4p. Not a huge loss, but it'd be nice to have the ability to switch back and forth without having to go through all this every time. Let's hope there'll be an app for that eventually.

congrats never could get this working on HF5 it would always not work after rebooting!

congrats never could get this working on HF5 it would always not work after rebooting!
Yeah, that was kind of the tricky part. It involves deactivating the mouse keys thing in the accessibility settings and doing the whole confusing mess of getting the script file in place. Not even sure which of my two last attempts did the trick. I've currently got two files in place, one of which has the .sh extension and one of which doesn't. One of them is working. Both are checked in the autostart.

And there was a lot more "sudo" than the wiki suggested.

ETA: About the not being able to use the shoulder buttons in emulators and such; perhaps I should consider eventually soldering in L2 and R2 (I hear these solder points are availible) and using those for mouse buttons instead. Not sure where I'd put the buttons though, and not sure how I'd make it not Frankensteinian. But that's perhaps for later, if a software solution doesn't turn up.

for switching shoulder buttons for specific pnds maybe you could try modifying these instructions?

so decided to look at this again and seems the command "xkbset exp m" works and does not timeout! :)

can any others with HF5 check that this works for them?

cheers

edit

looks like you only have to include the

Code:
xkbset m

xkbset exp m

in .xinitrc

all seems to work now with no timeouts

that is for HF5 at least no extra script is required mousekeys can be set on and indefinite timeout just from adding above two lines to .xinitrc

if confirmed wiki can be updated

note to confirm settings you can run

Code:
xkbset q exp

which will list features when AccessX timeouts, you should have a line that reads:

"Upon expiry Mouse-Keys will be: On"

previously with the switch =m the line said "...: Unchanged"

Back