Sega Saturn

intense_mc said:
trooper said:
Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 8MB cache
Great CPU. If you have the G0 stepping, you can set it to 3.0Ghz without touching the voltage.

I have the G0, can you link me to an article or explain how to set it to 3 ghz (and how to monitor temperatures, etc. so I don't kill my CPU)? I'm a complete noob to OC'ing. For realz. :( Every time I look into it I get confused and can't seem to find the right info.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
intense_mc said:
trooper said:
Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 8MB cache
Great CPU. If you have the G0 stepping, you can set it to 3.0Ghz without touching the voltage.

I have the G0, can you link me to an article or explain how to set it to 3 ghz (and how to monitor temperatures, etc. so I don't kill my CPU)? I'm a complete noob to OC'ing. For realz. :( Every time I look into it I get confused and can't seem to find the right info.

I`ve just had a look at my order from 2 years ago, And yes, I do have the Go version :rolleyes: , I seem to remember something about
being energy efficient (or some such twaddle), Wish i`d gone for the standard version, Oh well.

A link if you have one, As rabidpoobear has said, Would very nice. Though i could probably do a search as i`m in
no real hurry to perform an overclock.

Trooper

Just tried a couple of saturn emulators on my dual core 2.13mhz laptop. Results were not good.

I'm sure the Pandora will have 100% emulation though by the end of the year :rolleyes:

trooper said:
I`ve just had a look at my order from 2 years ago, And yes, I do have the Go version :rolleyes: , I seem to remember something about
being energy efficient (or some such twaddle), Wish i`d gone for the standard version, Oh well.

A link if you have one, As rabidpoobear has said, Would very nice. Though i could probably do a search as i`m in
no real hurry to perform an overclock.

Trooper
Worst case scenario your computer will shutdown if it gets too hot. As long as you have adequate cooling (stock cooler isn't great) and a half decent mobo; you'll be fine.

I've got an ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe and a Zalman CNPS9500-LED (cheap, beautiful and one of the best out there).

For 3Ghz, go into your mobo's BIOS and change the FSB to 1333. If you want to be on the safe side, go up in increments. I found a decent thread about it here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/68644

I use core2temp to view core temps, but you may want to use Prime95 to test your CPU on full load.

I'm NOT an expert at this by the way, this is all learned. If there are any, feel free to jump in.

x68000 said:
Just tried a couple of saturn emulators on my dual core 2.13mhz laptop. Results were not good.

I can see why... ;)

Vorporeal said:
x68000 said:

I can see why... ;)
Oiiiii! Nobody is allowed to take the p*** out of my laptop except me!

I'm currently looking for a new laptop - need it to have a bluray burner, 1920x1080 res and a second numeric keypad (standard keyboard style) Any ideas?

x68000 said:
Vorporeal said:
x68000 said:

I can see why... ;)
Oiiiii! Nobody is allowed to take the p*** out of my laptop except me!

I'm currently looking for a new laptop - need it to have a bluray burner, 1920x1080 res and a second numeric keypad (standard keyboard style) Any ideas?

A quick search on Newegg shows that none of the laptops on the site come with bluray burners. Good luck finding one!

Also, I've found that many ASUS laptops have numeric keypads (and are quite good quality - I've had one for 2 years and haven't had a SINGLE issue with it).

YEAH! First post is a thread derailment!

Intel Centrino (dual core) 2.0 Ghz
Nvidia 9300Mgs (512Mb)
4 Gigs of whatever Ram this lappy came with =P

Nothing extremely impressive, but does emulate everything up to the Dreamcast at 60 frames. For some reason the only PS2 game that'll emulate is Disgea

(at least thats all i've tried, besides Xenosaga I or II which run at 6 fps >.<)

MDave said:
SSF works perfect on my 1.6GHz Core 2 (T5200) laptop, which is about 4 years old now! :)
I guess it depends what you class as perfect emulation.

Even if the speed is 100%, lots of games still suffer from serious graphics and audio errors.

x68000 said:
MDave said:
SSF works perfect on my 1.6GHz Core 2 (T5200) laptop, which is about 4 years old now! :)
I guess it depends what you class as perfect emulation.

Even if the speed is 100%, lots of games still suffer from serious graphics and audio errors.

SSF also works great on my laptop. I think it may depend on the games you are trying as well. Which ones have you tried? I will see if I have different results.

My laptop is a HP HDX 18.4", quad core 2.0ghz (not the best at the time), 4 gigs ram and nvidia 9600M GT.

amf66 said:
Hey, x68000 here's a list of all the laptops that Newegg has that fit your specs: x68000's super awesome laptop list

I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. If I'm not totally mistaken, "BD Combo" means BluRay reader + CD/DVD burner. I don't think there are any laptops on Newegg with BluRay burning built-in.

Vorporeal said:
amf66 said:
Hey, x68000 here's a list of all the laptops that Newegg has that fit your specs: x68000's super awesome laptop list

I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. If I'm not totally mistaken, "BD Combo" means BluRay reader + CD/DVD burner. I don't think there are any laptops on Newegg with BluRay burning built-in.

Oh, dang. Didn't notice that. In that case the only laptop that ACTUALLY fits the specs is Sony's VAIO F series laptops.

/end derail

As Mithrildor said, let's stay on topic from now on.

In a valiant effort to be on-topic, I'm going to ask something I've been curious about. :p

I have precisely zero experience with Saturn emulation, and I have no idea if it's even any good - I doubt any of the machines I own are capable of making it work well, and I have a Saturn anyway (a white Japanese import, with one of those region-dodging/storage cartridges from Play-Asia permanently in the cartridge slot - I found a funny little bug in the BIOS, too, and I'm looking forward to applying this ability to randomly find weird bugs during normal usage to the Pandora. :p I might be useful yet!). Are there any realistic estimates of how something like Yabause might run if it were compiled for the Pandora?

I'm just curious from a technical standpoint, nothing more. I may not be the most technical person ever, but I do understand such discussions (to a degree) and I find them interesting. :p

Back