Screen shell is cracked.

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
So, you know those notches beside the speakers that help hold the shell in place? It turns out my front cover wasn't screwed in all the way, and it caused the back to crack on the side. I was able to stop it fron getting worse by screwing in the screws tighter, but now ther's this crack, and I don't know what to do.

I'm afraid that if I super glue it or replace the shell manualy, it'll void the warranty (if I even have one still; I asked about it several times while getting my unit fixed the first time and never even received any acknowledgement that the question was even asked throughout my correspondence with Ithic).

What do you guys suggest I do? Do I have to send this thing in again? How do I find out if I even still have a warranty? Or any details at all regarding warranty? If this was caused because they didn't screw the front in all the way, what does that mean for me? And why does Ithic keep dodging my questions regarding warranty?

You don't even need the screws to hold the screen in at all, so long as the tabs are engaged, so I don't see how not having them tight enough broke anything, but as Linux-SWAT says, having photos of the crack might help enlighten the situation.

I suspect you're not getting a response to your warranty question is because so far it's not been an issue. Link at Ithic forwards more complex repairs he can't do himself to ED in Germany, and I've seen ED offer to repair stuff for free even when where it's clearly broken due to the user's carelessness. To be on the safe side, I guess we should consider what the standard warranty is on these things, and not expect things older than that or that we broke due to our own stupidity to be fixed for free.

So, you know those notches beside the speakers that help hold the shell in place? It turns out my front cover wasn't screwed in all the way, and it caused the back to crack on the side. I was able to stop it fron getting worse by screwing in the screws tighter, but now ther's this crack, and I don't know what to do.
I can't think of any relation between the crack and the not fully screwed in screws, as (as others already mentioned) the inner lid is held in place by plastic clips. That does not mean that you are responsible for it, just that I can't see any connection.
I'm afraid that if I super glue it or replace the shell manualy, it'll void the warranty (if I even have one still; I asked about it several times while getting my unit fixed the first time and never even received any acknowledgement that the question was even asked throughout my correspondence with Ithic).
Ed gives a one year warranty (as he is obliged by law), don't know how things are in the U.S in that regard, whats the date of purchase ? Usually such details appear in the sales contract.

ylK3kp2.jpg

hSFy6D5.jpg

That's the little tab I was talking about. It's been pushing the side of the shell out and made it crack. If it's not the screws, then something must have happened during repairs to misalign that tab. It's not happening on the left side, though.

Just push the tab in if it's sticking out - it's not rocket science!

Sarcasm aside, there must be something that happens to units that's never happened to mine. My tabs always stay in, even when I want to get them out to get at the LCD for whatever reason.

But yes, fully tightened screws might have avoided the tab popping out and creating that stress fracture, so I guess that's what you're saying. However, overtightened screws can cause their own problems, and indeed my lid currently has a crack started at the top right corner which is slowly making it's way around the curve towards the flat bit of the lid.

So the best advice I can give is for people to beware tightening their screws too much (and mine are only lightly finger-tight) and to ensure their tabs are engaged at all times (except for when they're all disengaged, and you're fidding with the LCD). I'd suggest popping the tab in if you still can to relive pressure from the crack and hoping that stops it propagating. I'm currently thinking of shaving a bit off the corner of my screen bezel and epoxying a strip of thin plastic to the crack in my lid to stop my crack propagating.

You can always buy a new lid part for a small price (plus P&P)

OK, but still, does anyone know where I can look up the terms of the warranty? I want to know if mine is still active, and what will void it before I try changing anything myself.

Afaik it will not void the warranty if you replace something without damaging it.

If you break your screen in the process of replacing the shell, it won't be covered by warranty of course.

OK, but still, does anyone know where I can look up the terms of the warranty? I want to know if mine is still active, and what will void it before I try changing anything myself.
Somewhere during the ordering process you must have had a chance to look at a contract (maybe you got a copy of it along with the e-Mail confirming your order). Unfortunatly ithic.com has a lot of dummy text in several places, so I don't think you will find it on the site directly.

You could also present your case to Ed directly via the contact form. While there is no guarantee, chances are high that you would only need to pay for the shipping costs (at least Ed has a proven record of offering people free repairs, where every other sane person would have wanted at least some compensation)

And here is your warranty.
But he ordered from Link, so U.S. law should be applicable here (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
That crack clearly happened because the lid was being pulled to the side. No need to do that, pressing down the inner lid to make it clip in would've been enough, but I guess it's too late for that advice now ;)

It doesn't have anything to do with the screws. If my unit falls onto the ground, the clip also often pops out. The plastic is a bit too soft, so it won't hold the clip too tight.

But I can offer to repair that for free, it's no major deal.

isn't there some kind of punishments for people abusing their pandora?  :lol:

I quite like tar and feathers :D
That went a very different direction than I expected (wouldn't tar be harmful or painful?).  Maybe candle wax and feathers, but that is a different thing.

ED really does a lot more than he is required to help people.  He may call you out on things, but he may also offer to repair the damage for free.  There needs to be more nice people like that in the world.

It can't be worse than the Pandora I repaired (for free!) yesterday...

Shoulder Button ripped off, AC connector ripped off (even a pad ripped off) and the coil near the AC connector ripped off... with a badly tried resoldering job.

It was nigh dead, but fully alive now again :)

AC connector ripped off (even a pad ripped off)
Did you just swap the board?  I have done messy repairs to things like this before by using a big glob of solder to hold everything in place, kinda, around the edge of a board.  I am not great at soldering.

I wonder if you'll manage to fix my pandora if I would send it back to you (which might happens if I get an aluminium shell..)

I wonder if you'll manage to fix my pandora if I would send it back to you (which might happens if I get an aluminium shell..)
Depends on what's wrong :)

That one was from Zero3K I guess? ;)
I don't think so - we shipped Zero3K ones back yesterday, the other one couldn't be sent back as it also needs a new LCD cable (which needs to be paid, as it was totally ripped off as well :) )

Back