whats the official word on shoulder buttons?

gunni

ok I have searched the forum regarding this and I've seen ED post "you should be ok" in one place and cautioning about warranty in another.

my left shoulder button which had been a bit "funny" of late is not working and appears to be loose in the sense that pushing it in means I have to pull it out again but it isn't working.

I'm sure its just a case of relocating it, can I open up my pandora and fix the button without voiding my warranty or do I have to send it to ED?

Obviously not speaking in any official capacity here but in the past Craig and ED were pretty relaxed about people attempting such fixes themselves. The golden rule is basically if your a fairly competant dextrous type and feel you can make the fix, then go for it......BUT if you end up breaking something other than the shoulder button in the process, then that will NOT be covered by warranty anymore.

Theres been no word on out of warranty repairs service or pricing yet either that i'm aware of.

Theres 2 threads on fixing shoulder buttons at the start of the hardware section here too http://boards.openpa...cks-and-tweaks/ if you do decide to have a go. Plus ED did a video showing full disassembly and rebuild for LCD cable replacement aswell somewhere.

Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I saw those, I managed a similar fix on my old dingoo without trashing it so I'm not a ten thumbed idiot when it comes to these things so I reckon I should manage fine ;)

just looking for an ok from Craig or ED really, don't see sense in adding to EDs workload for a fix I could probably do myself :)

yikes! that wasn't as expected... as soon as I opened her up the button switch fell out :(

not a chance I'm going near it with a soldering iron, can I send it in ED?

(edit: I can hang on a while if you are super busy)

Imho, if you go to an electronic supply shop, the local guy will be so amazed by your OP, he will fix it for free ;^).

yikes! that wasn't as expected... as soon as I opened her up the button switch fell out :(

not a chance I'm going near it with a soldering iron, can I send it in ED?

(edit: I can hang on a while if you are super busy)
Are you talking about the power switch? Because if you are, that piece does fall out when the unit is opened. The hard part is getting it back in place upon reassembly. Be careful there but it can be done.

I think he means the button behind the shoulder button.

Soldering it should not be too hard, the solder point is huge, so it probably be pretty easy to solder.

Darkknight is correct, it doesn't appear to be broken or anything just mustn't have been very well soldered and has popped off. my own soldering skills aren't exactly great, made a right mess of an A500 motherboard fairly recently so I'm not going to take any chances with my Pandora!

Edit: Not that my soldering iron is here anyway, it's back in the UK... d'oh!

haha! I'm not too worried about wrecking an Amiga motherboard which is cheap enough to replace, I don't have the funds to fork out for another pandora...

Back