Scared Or Uninterested

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Over the past few months, the Compatibility lists have grown quite a bit, and I have added a lot more Emulators etc. I have noticed that some Emu's get a whole load of attention while others get very little.

Do you think that it's because of the following:
1. Some Emu are not being used by our community.
2. The uers of the Emu's are too shy to go ahead and update the lists.
3. They don't know about the lists.
4. They just can't be bothered.
5. It's not obvious how to update the site.

One of the reasons I'm interested is, the lists are getting a lot of hits recently, and the more popular Emu's are getting updated aften, so it's obvious that they are getting used and that visitors are finding a use for it. I just don't know what to do about the Emu's that are, to coin a phrase, stale.

What do you all think?

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 06:35 AM said:
Over the past few months, the Compatibility lists have grown quite a bit, and I have added a lot more Emulators etc. I have noticed that some Emu's get a whole load of attention while others get very little.

Do you think that it's because of the following:
1. Some Emu are not being used by our community.
2. The uers of the Emu's are too shy to go ahead and update the lists.
3. They don't know about the lists.
4. They just can't be bothered.
5. It's not obvious how to update the site.

What do you all think?

I think its mainly because of number 1. For example, I doubt that there are a great many people still using fgen32 when this has clearly been overtaken by drmd. Number 3 could also be a factor. (In fact, your post reminded me, as I have been meaning to sign on to your site). Maybe the kind people at gp32x.de can provide a permanent link to your site.

I can't believe that thr reason is number 4, especially after all of the hard work that you have put into your website. I do not believe that 5 is an issue either, as the site is easy to use..

Keep up the good work :)

RatchetMan

Last edited by a moderator:
The design of the site is pretty hectic, it looks a bit overwhelming, perhaps that is putting people off, maybe it needs to be a bit clearer.

I expect the main reason is that most people probably can't be bothered, you'll get a core of helpful people updating it religiously and the rest of the users will expect to visit and use the information perhaps without contributing to the same level. No matter how good the core people are they will always be outnumbered by the visitors who just want to grab the info and go. Perhaps you could have to rate a game before you can look one up, or at least vote for one to help the ratings. Of course some emulators are more popular than others, so those will always get the most attention.

Particularly disappointing that there isn't much there yet on the C64 front, but compatibility is pretty good on that I guess.

Great idea though, a really useful reference. You must have put a lot of time into it.

One idea I had was that the games could cross reference each other, so if you looked up Speedball 2 for example in the Atari ST section, it could show you the other formats available in another panel so you could choose the best version to go with. I expect that needs some database juggling though, but it would be very useful.

®

Shirohagen posted on Aug 26 2005 at 08:01 AM said:
The design of the site is pretty hectic, it looks a bit overwhelming, perhaps that is putting people off, maybe it needs to be a bit clearer.

I can't agree with this. I signed up, logged on and was modifying the status of Mame games in less than a minute..

I found the site very simple to use. And I am very glad that it is out there. I have used it several times, either as a reference or to enter a game that I have found that works. Being that I have only had my GP32 for a couple of weeks, I have found it very valuable. Personally, I haven't had the chance to try too many emulators out. :)

I don't use it as when I want to check compability of a game I just load it up in an emulator, I don't bother visisiting any site...
Thats just me though.

Hi
for me I just update the emulators / games I am interested in.
mainly DRMD.

perhaps you could put a new page up and link to it for 'less popular or minority' emulators that means yours and others work is not lost but just moved out of immediate sight.

Please do not get disheartened - much Kudos to you thanks

Tarka

Moderators: how do we ask for a perm link on GP32X front page?

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 10:03 AM said:
Did anyone notice the little help link at the top of the game list pages? Do you think it should be bigger?

Yes, you should probably make it appear in the same style as the "Menu" button.

RatchetMan posted on Aug 26 2005 at 11:20 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 10:03 AM said:
Did anyone notice the little help link at the top of the game list pages? Do you think it should be bigger?

Yes, you should probably make it appear in the same style as the "Menu" button.

Good Idea, will do that very soon :)
Edit: Done.

Any more ideas are welcomed, and if possible, they will be implimented :)

Thanks all :rolleyes:

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 10:30 AM said:

One other thing that I noticed was that the GPMAME version number needs to be updated to 1.6. Other than that, it all looks good..

RatchetMan

RatchetMan posted on Aug 26 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 10:30 AM said:

One other thing that I noticed was that the GPMAME version number needs to be updated to 1.6. Other than that, it all looks good..

RatchetMan

Okey Doke, Done!

I think I did ask before, is there a global mailing list or a page that contains the latest Emu versions as they come out? I don't always have time to trawl through all the latest Emulators checking their versions manually.

TTFN,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 11:22 AM said:
Okey Doke, Done!

I think I did ask before, is there a global mailing list or a page that contains the latest Emu versions as they come out? I don't always have time to trawl through all the latest Emulators checking their versions manually.

I don't know of such a list. One way to do it would be for people to just email you when they see that a new version has been released. What would be even better is if the devs themselves could email you when they release new versions of their emus..

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 07:22 AM said:

TTFN,
Clare.
http://newbie.gp32x.de/gp32/emu.htm
I update the version every time a new one is released (see Xroar 0.13--released today). I don't list every emu ever made, but I believe that none that still receive updates are left out.

shinneri posted on Aug 26 2005 at 03:41 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 26 2005 at 07:22 AM said:

TTFN,
Clare.
http://newbie.gp32x.de/gp32/emu.htm
I update the version every time a new one is released (see Xroar 0.13--released today). I don't list every emu ever made, but I believe that none that still receive updates are left out.

Thanks for that, and thanks for letting me know about XROAR, I will add the new version when I get home in about an hour.

Ta Ta For Now,
Clare.

Hi Clare

I think that the compatiblity list should contain "emulators" such as gpdoom which really are interpreters.

This would (at least i think) attract more people.

And,

Would it be possible ( i know it's a lot of work/emailing etc.) to include a redirection to your site in all emulator's readme files?
Such as:

Do you like this emu and Would you like to contribute to the gp32 scene?;

Visiit http://www.berzerk.co.uk/gp32/ and submit a review to your favourite rom/mod/game!

Good luck.

I've actually tried using the list, but found it a bit confusing....

Only because I'm not entirely sure why the list starts from scratch everytime a new version of an emulator is released - Is it really common that games that worked in previous versions stop working in the latest?

Perhaps one list per emulator would be enough and instead of one list per version, just have a collum that simply can be checked with a "v" if the "old" data has been confirmed with the latest version... or to mark if there's a problem that wasn't there.Would be pretty fast for anybody to update.

As it is now I would feel like "wasted" work to update a list, if a new version of the emulator is just around the corner.... like ALL of the F-emulators has been the last year or so :p

But this is just my thoughts - I don't know if anybody run earlier versions for some reason.

Also not entirely sure what the star-rating is for... If there are a mayor graphic flaw, I figure it's mentioned in the comment.
If a game is perfectly emulated why don't people give it 5 stars? Many working games in the DrMD-list ARE perfect (and marked green)... yet no star-rating for the games are given.... Perhaps some people consider the star-rating as a game review... So it's all VERY subjective.

As an example: we all know how much people differ in opinion whether SNES emulation is usable on the GP.... still you can se 5-star reviews on that list...
I think the green, yellow, red and "?" to define if a game is working whould be plenty - If there is some sort of glitch, it will be mentioned in the comment anyway.

But Clare.. please take this as constructive critism - not trying to bash the project at all. Really think the project is useful for the community.

Back