Scared Or Uninterested

cozmic posted on Aug 26 2005 at 04:30 PM said:
Hi Clare

I think that the compatiblity list should contain "emulators" such as gpdoom which really are interpreters.

This would (at least i think) attract more people.

And,

Would it be possible ( i know it's a lot of work/emailing etc.) to include a redirection to your site in all emulator's readme files?
Such as:

Do you like this emu and Would you like to contribute to the gp32 scene?;

Visiit http://www.berzerk.co.uk/gp32/ and submit a review to your favourite rom/mod/game!

Good luck.

Hia,

Actually GPDoom is already there, it's under GP32, it made sence to put it there as you can then comment on what version it works on, i,e, BLU or BLU+ etc...
In fact, all homebrew apps ect will come under the GP32 section, including DrMD etc. Here's how it works.

Lets take DrMD as an example. Under the GP32 section of the site, you will find DrMD's compatibility status. If you want to know what games work under DrMD you go to the DrMD section.

Hope that made sense?

TTFN,
Clare.

Last edited by a moderator:
shinneri posted on Aug 26 2005 at 04:58 PM said:
I think the star ratings are the rating of how good the game is.. and not how well it emulates. Right?

Yes that's correct. The rateing is for the game itself, regardless of what it is run on.

Ringo posted on Aug 26 2005 at 04:44 PM said:
I've actually tried using the list, but found it a bit confusing....

Only because I'm not entirely sure why the list starts from scratch everytime a new version of an emulator is released - Is it really common that games that worked in previous versions stop working in the latest?

Perhaps one list per emulator would be enough and instead of one list per version, just have a collum that simply can be checked with a "v" if the "old" data has been confirmed with the latest version... or to mark if there's a problem that wasn't there.Would be pretty fast for anybody to update.

As it is now I would feel like "wasted" work to update a list, if a new version of the emulator is just around the corner.... like ALL of the F-emulators has been the last year or so :p

But this is just my thoughts - I don't know if anybody run earlier versions for some reason.

Also not entirely sure what the star-rating is for... If there are a mayor graphic flaw, I figure it's mentioned in the comment.
If a game is perfectly emulated why don't people give it 5 stars? Many working games in the DrMD-list ARE perfect (and marked green)... yet no star-rating for the games are given.... Perhaps some people consider the star-rating as a game review... So it's all VERY subjective.

As an example: we all know how much people differ in opinion whether SNES emulation is usable on the GP.... still you can se 5-star reviews on that list...
I think the green, yellow, red and "?" to define if a game is working whould be plenty - If there is some sort of glitch, it will be mentioned in the comment anyway.

But Clare.. please take this as constructive critism - not trying to bash the project at all. Really think the project is useful for the community.

The list starts from scratch as you say because none of the games have been tested on that version. Same may work, some may not, you can however use the drop down version selector to see what the games were like on the previous version. Also, when a new version comes out, if you look closely, when a game hasn't got a status set, you will see the previous status of games ! As meantioned in another post, the star rating is for the games merit, and not for if it works with Fgen etc.

The last time I posted ratings for GPMAME1.5 I found that I was basically posting twice because you had the star rating and the regular works/dont work review section separate. I think it'd help if you could do both at the same time rather than having to jump back and hit another button to post your impression.

As for why certain Emus are getting ignored, I think there's a larger community using things like the consol and arcade emulators while the c64 and similar computer emus only atract a certain type of audiance, probably people who fear the work it might take to get into the games as opposed to how easy it is to track down a Genesis ROM.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 26 2005 at 05:53 PM said:
The last time I posted ratings for GPMAME1.5 I found that I was basically posting twice because you had the star rating and the regular works/dont work review section separate. I think it'd help if you could do both at the same time rather than having to jump back and hit another button to post your impression.

As for why certain Emus are getting ignored, I think there's a larger community using things like the consol and arcade emulators while the c64 and similar computer emus only atract a certain type of audiance, probably people who fear the work it might take to get into the games as opposed to how easy it is to track down a Genesis ROM.

Not sure what you mean here.
"posting twice because you had the star rating and the regular works/dont work review section separate"

To set a games status is a definitive gesture, i.e. it says "IT WORKS" or "NOT"
That is pretty seperate from someone who rates a game or want's to add a comment" a games rateing is based on the game and not how well it works with any Emu.

Maybee I should make that more obvious on the site. or will this be pandering to the stupid?

You need to make it known what the star ratings are for because on something called a 'Compatibility List' you may not expect to see a rating of how good a game is. I was confused by this, as well; I thought it was a game rating, but I wasn't sure.

I almost had an idea, except is probably a bad one.

The trick is.. getting people to enter useful data. This is 'hard', in the senses where people are both lazy, and its also technically challenging sometimes. (If they're typgin in game names, they'll mistype. If they have to pick from a list, you're better off.. but some systems have crazy numbers of games, so maybe you can't list them all easily..)

Emus could almost build in a 'compatability' dialog into the emu -- when you close off a game, present a dialog where the user can pick 1 to 5 to specify how successful it was. Update a file on SMC (and SD etc on other platforms) and upload it to the website once in awhile.

Problems:

1) With some platforms (PC, Palm, etc) the file transfer could be automatic... but for GP32, someone woudl still have to upload the file to their PC from GP32, and then to the website from PC. Probably too much work, since people are lazy.

2) When your'e done, you often just turn off the GP32 :)

3) Some platforms (like the ST on CaSTaway) arent' so easy to categorize.. theres no way to 'guess' a game from the disk image, as you can with a SNES cart for instance. So theres some error built in for Commie64 and ST and Amiga and such.

Still, its an interesting tangent to the whole thing.. can something be done, to make submission more automatic and painless?

jeff

skeezix posted on Aug 26 2005 at 08:55 PM said:
I almost had an idea, except is probably a bad one.

The trick is.. getting people to enter useful data. This is 'hard', in the senses where people are both lazy, and its also technically challenging sometimes. (If they're typgin in game names, they'll mistype. If they have to pick from a list, you're better off.. but some systems have crazy numbers of games, so maybe you can't list them all easily..)

Emus could almost build in a 'compatability' dialog into the emu -- when you close off a game, present a dialog where the user can pick 1 to 5 to specify how successful it was. Update a file on SMC (and SD etc on other platforms) and upload it to the website once in awhile.

Problems:

1) With some platforms (PC, Palm, etc) the file transfer could be automatic... but for GP32, someone woudl still have to upload the file to their PC from GP32, and then to the website from PC. Probably too much work, since people are lazy.

2) When your'e done, you often just turn off the GP32 :)

3) Some platforms (like the ST on CaSTaway) arent' so easy to categorize.. theres no way to 'guess' a game from the disk image, as you can with a SNES cart for instance. So theres some error built in for Commie64 and ST and Amiga and such.

Still, its an interesting tangent to the whole thing.. can something be done, to make submission more automatic and painless?

jeff

Honey, I think people are already sticking to the game name code and looking up a game name etc... And for most of the known Emu's I have the definitive list anyway. And I'm sure if you know of a game that aint on the list, you are man enough to log in and add it professionally.

I don't think the list is going off on any tangent. it just takes common sense.

Oh and to the person who tried to hack and swamp it earlier, I just reset it and you lost. :lol:

I almost like the idea though.. imagine playing emus for a week or two, and then running a tool that talks across USB to the GP32 and sends the compatibility results up to your site. As automatic as it can be with a GP32.

Hell, the same tool could download compatabilities from the site, and then the emu coudl show that as part of the choice..

ie:

The emu could show..

Metal Warriors (4)
Zelda: Link to the Past (?)

If you played a game, then it'd record your choice if you made one.. you'd play LTTP and say "5".

A week later, you run the update tool and it downloads a fresh aggregate, and sends up your personal choices that effect the next aggregate someone else gets.

Main problem of course..

1) Requires dev work in the emu to offer compatability dialog
2) The exchange tool would be needed (or require user to use a web browser to do it.)
3) Web side work for http-post or XML-soap push/pulls..

Still, a neat idea imho ;)

jeff

I didn't immediatly under stand the Star rating vs review system at first, it was only after posting a few that I started to realize the point of the rating was for "how good the game itself was" and not "how good it was running in the Emulator" which seemed more sensible to me because why would I bother saying "great game, shame it dosent run in this emulator."?

I wonder if there isnt a faster way to display the listings or atleast speed up the travel between games you want to post compatabilitty ratings for. Like if I'm posting about Sonic under one emulator to be able to quickly hit a drop down window to search for Ristar and go to that without having to go back to the main list and select "R" then select Ristar, etc.

skeezix posted on Aug 26 2005 at 09:24 PM said:
I almost like the idea though.. imagine playing emus for a week or two, and then running a tool that talks across USB to the GP32 and sends the compatibility results up to your site. As automatic as it can be with a GP32.

Hell, the same tool could download compatabilities from the site, and then the emu coudl show that as part of the choice..

ie:

The emu could show..

Metal Warriors (4)
Zelda: Link to the Past (?)

If you played a game, then it'd record your choice if you made one.. you'd play LTTP and say "5".

A week later, you run the update tool and it downloads a fresh aggregate, and sends up your personal choices that effect the next aggregate someone else gets.

Main problem of course..

1) Requires dev work in the emu to offer compatability dialog
2) The exchange tool would be needed (or require user to use a web browser to do it.)
3) Web side work for http-post or XML-soap push/pulls..

Still, a neat idea imho ;)

jeff

That would be superb, on;u I would have to write an underlaying piece of code that would replicate itself on every GP that reports back to the list what you are doing. Sounds like a virus to me.... :unsure:

Alpha2 posted on Aug 26 2005 at 11:45 PM said:
I didn't immediatly under stand the Star rating vs review system at first, it was only after posting a few that I started to realize the point of the rating was for "how good the game itself was" and not "how good it was running in the Emulator" which seemed more sensible to me because why would I bother saying "great game, shame it dosent run in this emulator."?

I wonder if there isnt a faster way to display the listings or atleast speed up the travel between games you want to post compatabilitty ratings for. Like if I'm posting about Sonic under one emulator to be able to quickly hit a drop down window to search for Ristar and go to that without having to go back to the main list and select "R" then select Ristar, etc.

Actually I couls add a search box to the games list page, that only searches for games within that Emulator, would that be useful?

I am aware of the site, but I don't use it primarily because the two emus that account for probably 90% of my gp32 playtime are not on there. Does look a good site though, well done.

BTW Atari ST & 800 emus.

when updating the lists, it takes a very long time to trawl thru the games, because the bars take up a lot of room and there's 60 odd pages of games, like 15 per page. if they were all on one page (with the bars much smaller) it would be quicker to navigate and would get a lot more ratings and compatablity additions.

Jaw posted on Aug 28 2005 at 05:53 PM said:
when updating the lists, it takes a very long time to trawl thru the games, because the bars take up a lot of room and there's 60 odd pages of games, like 15 per page. if they were all on one page (with the bars much smaller) it would be quicker to navigate and would get a lot more ratings and compatablity additions.

You could select to view more games per page, there's a drop down list at the bottom for entries per page.

Edit: Due to a recent post in this thread, I'm going to add an emu search bar in the games list page. This will make it easier to flip to another game.

Back