Samsung Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prophet said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
sindbad said:
I prefer "Open Pandora", since if you have it in your hand you've already opened the box, thus unleashed stuff upon the world. But there's nothing wrong with plain "Pandora".
For some reason I like the name "Open" as a company name :)

You know... you're right. :ph34r:

Open really would be a great company name.

There's already a company called Open.

How about Open Future?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
jaycee900 said:
Both companies Atari and Commodore were making money on these platforms, it was later ventures what killed them off (Say Jaguar/Lynx and CDTV/CD32)...

CDTV was relesed almost a decade before Commodore went bankrupt.

CD32 was the best-selling CD Console of its time, in Europe, at least. By the time it was released, however, it was unfortunately already too late for Commodore to save themselves.

Not so sure on the history with Atari. AFAIR they spent so long fighting Sega in court over the 9-pin joystick port patent that by the time they struck what would have been the out-of-court settlement of a lifetime (as far as I recall it involved Atari being able to port the entire 'virtua' series of games to the Jaguar), they were all but exahusted of funds.

As someone said 4 years isn't a decade! I think it was actually 3 years with the CDTV coming out in 1991 and the Commodore going bust in 1994.
The CD32 was good don't get me wrong but not good enough and £100 more than it was due to be released for, they only ever made 100K of them and sold 3/4 of those before going under (thanks Commodore US!) but the MegaCD still outsold it though, obviously due to Commodore having no more money to make anymore! Though the CD32 did outsell PC-CDROM and Mega CD software sales put together! unbelievable to think that now!

There's a progression to these things...

you could follow the video game console route:

Pandora
  • Pandora Lean (same specs - slightly smaller and much lighter - released within 9 months after the Pandora)Pandora 2 (higher specs, slightly smaller, more features {like GPS, Cell phone, 3G, multi-touch} - 1.5 - 2.5 years after Pandora)
  • Pandora Pygmy (similar specs to the P2 - with few to none of the new features - much smaller than the Pandora or the P2, no keyboard)Pandora 411 (yeah, it's only the 3rd generation, but sometimes you gotta skip numbers to catch up or whatever) (higher specs than the P2 - more features - built-in Digital FM tuner and Sirius/XM receiver, built-in digital HDTV receiver, 12 MP webcam - 2 - 3 years after P2)
  • Pandora Pygmy Special Edition (or PPSE) Similiar size to the PP - but now with some of the features of the P2, and a couple from the P411)The Hercules. Some crazy new interface, like power gloves, or 3D HDTV screen glasses, or holograms, - so different from the Pandora, it has to have a new name - still mostly backwards compatible - much higher specs not much later than P411/PPSE.The Hercules 300 - It's like the Hercules, only smaller.

Or, you could follow the Apple logic

Pandora
  • Pandora Pro (see Pandora 2 above)
  • DemiPandora (See Pygmy)Pandora Pro 3rd Gen (See P411)
  • PicoPandora (See PPSE)
  • YoctoPandora(1/4 the size of the PicoPandora - available in 12 iridescent colors - no screen - just one button - but lots and lots of storage and raw power)
  • Pandora TV (a completely unrelated product - you plug it into your TV, and it lets you use your detacable BlueTooth keyboard to turn your TV on and off. Only works with black and white TVs for some reason.)

Tobriand said:
Well, given that Pandora had a daughter, that might make a sensible name for the next one, as and when. Although her daughter's name wasn't as good as hers, in my opinion.

Just pick some other relevant mythological character. Possibly Persephone, or something...

Note how Pyrrha's daughter is named Pandora II.

Did any of you ever mention GPH when asked "hey is that a PSP?". I would usually reply "No that's a GP2X, some Korean console".

By the way, shall I say that Pandora is a British console or a European console?

The Company is set up from within the UK, so in that respect it is a British Company with International Input

Also the address listed on Companies House page will most likely belong to Craig's Accountants. Just checked our business details and that is who popped up for us!

Pleng said:
CD32 was the best-selling CD Console of its time, in Europe, at least.
Was there really any competition?

chad78 said:
There's a progression to these things...

you could follow the video game console route:

Pandora
  • Pandora Lean (same specs - slightly smaller and much lighter - released within 9 months after the Pandora)Pandora 2 (higher specs, slightly smaller, more features {like GPS, Cell phone, 3G, multi-touch} - 1.5 - 2.5 years after Pandora)
  • Pandora Pygmy (similar specs to the P2 - with few to none of the new features - much smaller than the Pandora or the P2, no keyboard)Pandora 411 (yeah, it's only the 3rd generation, but sometimes you gotta skip numbers to catch up or whatever) (higher specs than the P2 - more features - built-in Digital FM tuner and Sirius/XM receiver, built-in digital HDTV receiver, 12 MP webcam - 2 - 3 years after P2)
  • Pandora Pygmy Special Edition (or PPSE) Similiar size to the PP - but now with some of the features of the P2, and a couple from the P411)The Hercules. Some crazy new interface, like power gloves, or 3D HDTV screen glasses, or holograms, - so different from the Pandora, it has to have a new name - still mostly backwards compatible - much higher specs not much later than P411/PPSE.The Hercules 300 - It's like the Hercules, only smaller.
Or, you could follow the Apple logic

Pandora
  • Pandora Pro (see Pandora 2 above)
  • DemiPandora (See Pygmy)Pandora Pro 3rd Gen (See P411)
  • PicoPandora (See PPSE)
  • YoctoPandora(1/4 the size of the PicoPandora - available in 12 iridescent colors - no screen - just one button - but lots and lots of storage and raw power)
  • Pandora TV (a completely unrelated product - you plug it into your TV, and it lets you use your detacable BlueTooth keyboard to turn your TV on and off. Only works with black and white TVs for some reason.)

So i have to wait 4 years or so for my kind of Panda to show up? (Pandora Pygmy Special Edition/PicoPandora)
Well, thanks for telling me. ;- )
B!

quartercast said:
Guyfawkes said:
There may be a problem in the future with his. There is no name or number to identify the console or any others in the series. What I mean is like the Amstrad CPC 464 then 6128, Commodore 64 then 128, Amiga 500 then 1200 and so on.

Shouldn't the Pandora have something like this? Not necessarily a number but just something to identify it. If the Pandora is a success it would have built up a good name and calling the next console a new different name or Pandora 2 would not be capitalising on it and probably cause confusion.
I think the original intention was to keep numbers and three-letter acronyms out of the nomenclature. I don't see why it's a problem, the next one could be called Pandora Revolution or Pandora++ or Arodnap or whatver else you can dream of. Hmmm.. Arodnap. ARODNAP!

[noob]How about something like SIXAXIS, ya know if you spell it backwards it's the same thing!!![/noob]

CandidStan said:
quartercast said:
Guyfawkes said:
There may be a problem in the future with his. There is no name or number to identify the console or any others in the series. What I mean is like the Amstrad CPC 464 then 6128, Commodore 64 then 128, Amiga 500 then 1200 and so on.

Shouldn't the Pandora have something like this? Not necessarily a number but just something to identify it. If the Pandora is a success it would have built up a good name and calling the next console a new different name or Pandora 2 would not be capitalising on it and probably cause confusion.
I think the original intention was to keep numbers and three-letter acronyms out of the nomenclature. I don't see why it's a problem, the next one could be called Pandora Revolution or Pandora++ or Arodnap or whatver else you can dream of. Hmmm.. Arodnap. ARODNAP!

[noob]How about something like SIXAXIS, ya know if you spell it backwards it's the same thing!!![/noob]

[STUPID]Wow, I never realized that...[/STUPID]

The Pandora needs no model number or 64 or 128 or silly things like that. A system similar to the GP2X MK1/MK2 system is fine. Any new revisions of the Pandora will be simply revisions, not totally new systems. They're going to have the same basic capabilities, they won't be adding any major features. Nothing like adding the touch-screen to the F200 or anything. It'll be more like the different variants of the X360 and the PS3, as opposed to the iPhone/iPhone 3G.

I first heard of the Pandora last week when I read Games TM Magazines article with Craig. I have been the very proud owner of a F200 since last year - the wait to get one nearly killed me - and have been away from the forums happily emulating with myself for months. I have been a game geek since early childhood and the days of ZX81, Vic 20, and my beloved Binnatone and Atari consoles. I have played computer games all my life, often to the detriment of my work and social life; then after a few career changes I ended up studying games and virtual simulations. I kick myself now, but I did not hear about the GP2X until I picked up a copy of Retro Gamer last year. I pretty much fell through the floor - I couldn't believe this little thing existed. I asked in a couple of game stores, including one that stocks (or used to) retro games - and was told if there was such a device they would have heard about it, and anyway its probably illegal!!!!!!!!!! (this I feel says a lot about industry - they will ignore us as a minority interest and legislate rather than innovate) That was it, I had to own one, I had to be a part of it. Since then my F200 goes everywhere with me. Moreover, I have just got back from a conference where a friend was presenting a paper on cross compatibility of games. He had Eve On-line running (legally) on an old battered xbox. (why pay for two copies of a game when you can legally multi-platform, sort of argument) I guided the post paper discussion onto emulation and my GP2x. Apart from my friend only one person at a whole industry/academic conference had heard of GP2x. So I pulled up the website for all to see, and a few reviews. UTTER DISBELIEF....the developers and programmmers loved it - a couple of 'casual' game mobile platform developers nearly wet their pants on the spot, and promptly took their beards away to consult the god of laptops. The publishers (peanut heads in suits) hated the idea of it - -- we are all dirty pirate types to them, ' mr Sega cant come round and check your game collection, we have the law for that' was one comment. So, to get to the point, PANDORA is a good name. GP2X is good, but that what the industry expects - you could see the legal brains swirling around around machismo abbreviations as they tried to place it, C64, C464, 1200, N64,ad infinitum, then GP2X who the heck are they -- - -it emulates, it is 'open source' .....BURN THE DRATSABS! PANDORA is cool with all the mythical connotations- -I hope this actualy does change things and give established industry something to really worry about. In the history of computing the most miraculous innovations and the very birth of computing, simulating, and the first ever game, came with the search and rebellious drive for intellectual freedom against the military industrial complex and weapons development. Freedom, the way I see it as a gamer, is what this new machine is about and I hope it is the start of something as iconic and exciting as the day I had a box of ZXSpectrum parts turn up in the mail. I for one will be opening Pandora's box (ooooeeeerrrr missus) and will be glad it hasn't got numbers and marketing qualifications attached to it, I also hope the name does puzzle people and make them think, and I hope it puzzles the established industry even more. What about the next machine? The Harmonia, the daughter of the god of sex and the god of war? mmmm keep me happy
sorry for the rant (and others) but I think what is going on here is monumentally important.
good luck and thank u for the GP2X
And given the mod chip ruling this week in the UK high courts - freedom may actualy be free to buy for once

enterqr6.jpg

!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back