Samsung Pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TaG said:
Chip said:
The average consumer might be frightened and confused by a product with no listed manufacturer, but they are also frightened and confused by loud noises, sudden movements, and long division.

:lol:
Indeed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
...then why have Gamepark Holdings taken credit for it?
http://www.gp2x.co.uk
there is a link on the side saying
" you may be interested in our new project, the pandora....
is this gamepark holdings' machine, or not?

jakshep2 said:

That is CraigIX's GP2X shop site.

jakshep2 said:

As far as I can see, they should have no right taking credit for the Pandora (and Craig et-all should pursue that), there is no evidence that they are GPH. From whois "Registrar: Definite Software Limited t/a uklinux.net [Tag = UKLINUX]"

It's clear they shouldn't be advertising "our new handheld project", but they don't apear to be GPH.

atomicthumbs said:
That is CraigIX's GP2X shop site.
If that is the case, excuse my last posting (It was under good intentions).

Chip said:
This thread has taken a turn for the absurd.
Forget about meaningless marketing BS. Pandora will sell itself based on merit.
You got the absurd part right.

I remember people saying/writing the same thing about sales based on merit in regards to OS/2, Amiga, Betamax, and the myriad of handheld gaming systems (lynx, game gear, neogeo pocket) that got its ass handed to them by the inferior B&W gameboy.

Merit... :)

The company should be called: Craiginator (or maybe Project Bumblebee)

;P

I figure there is a company name, and we'll find that out either when we are purchasing our pandora, or when we receive the device.

-God Ginrai

Fat Agnus said:
Chip said:
This thread has taken a turn for the absurd.
Forget about meaningless marketing BS. Pandora will sell itself based on merit.
You got the absurd part right.

I remember people saying/writing the same thing about sales based on merit in regards to OS/2, Amiga, Betamax, and the myriad of handheld gaming systems (lynx, game gear, neogeo pocket) that got its ass handed to them by the inferior B&W gameboy.

Merit... :)

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present: Cognitive dissonance 'the play': "A person who thinks Pandora is trying to make it big in the market as a mass-market device".

Let's all have a round of applause for the person who doesn't get it.

Yay, cheers.

Fat Agnus said:
You're equating sales numbers to success, which is only part of the picture. I think you'll have a hard time convincing some people here that the Amiga wasn't successful. True, the Amiga never had a significant percentage of the home computer market. But there were (and still are) a lot of people who swear by the hardware and support the software, many years after they've discontinued production. That is how you determine success. Quality is far more important than quantity.

The designers don't need to sell tens of millions of Pandoras to make money, and the community doesn't need tens of millions of users to be successful. GPH only sold ~ 50k GP2Xs, and that was certainly a success. The GP2X community has the best developers and the most active and intelligent forums (believe it or not). Pandora isn't even commercially available yet and we already have the biggest homebrew handheld developers working on ports and original software.

Pandora will sell itself to intelligent users who understand what it is and what it can do. In these circumstances, any customer you have to work hard to win over isn't worth having. The sort of people who base all their purchasing decisions on marketing and advertising aren't going to add anything to the community.

Chip said:
Fat Agnus said:
You're equating sales numbers to success, which is only part of the picture. I think you'll have a hard time convincing some people here that the Amiga wasn't successful. True, the Amiga never had a significant percentage of the home computer market. But there were (and still are) a lot of people who swear by the hardware and support the software, many years after they've discontinued production. That is how you determine success. Quality is far more important than quantity.

The designers don't need to sell tens of millions of Pandoras to make money, and the community doesn't need tens of millions of users to be successful. GPH only sold ~ 50k GP2Xs, and that was certainly a success. The GP2X community has the best developers and the most active and intelligent forums (believe it or not). Pandora isn't even commercially available yet and we already have the biggest homebrew handheld developers working on ports and original software.

Pandora will sell itself to intelligent users who understand what it is and what it can do. In these circumstances, any customer you have to work hard to win over isn't worth having. The sort of people who base all their purchasing decisions on marketing and advertising aren't going to add anything to the community.

I think at the time the Amiga and ST did have a nice chunk of the market, of course when windows 95 came out the competition had all been wiped out anyway.
Depending on where you look the total worldwide Amigas sold is between 5.5-8 million units with the majority of those sold between 1989-1992 also the majority of those were sold in Europe which is probably why you rate the % lower, the total Amigas sold in the US is between 700K-800K only half what the UK sold alone. (Figures for ST suggest around 6 million units)
I think some people rate the success of a platform either of units sold, or by software titles available, I think in the case of the Amiga and ST both were very successful with the Amiga having 5000 games and i would Imagine the ST not being too far behind.
Both companies Atari and Commodore were making money on these platforms, it was later ventures what killed them off (Say Jaguar/Lynx and CDTV/CD32)...

And Fat Agnus you haven't got a clue even listing Amiga next to OS/2 / Betamax.....sales were based on its being the best computer out there with the best specs and best games...you contradicted yourself because the B&W Gameboy sold on merit Nintendo et all.

The "ThemBunchOfJollyUKChaps Pandora"

I kid...I kid :)

But in all seriousness, I still have the black box I originally got from http://gp2x.co.uk/ and the brand "Gamepark Holdings" is nowhere near prominent. It's a big giant "GP2X[Black]" with a pic of the console.

When people ask what I'm toying with, I say GeePeeTwoEx(which still sounds goofy). I certainly don't say "GamePark Holdings GeePeeTwo[inhale] Ex.

jaycee900 said:
Both companies Atari and Commodore were making money on these platforms, it was later ventures what killed them off (Say Jaguar/Lynx and CDTV/CD32)...

CDTV was relesed almost a decade before Commodore went bankrupt.

CD32 was the best-selling CD Console of its time, in Europe, at least. By the time it was released, however, it was unfortunately already too late for Commodore to save themselves.

Not so sure on the history with Atari. AFAIR they spent so long fighting Sega in court over the 9-pin joystick port patent that by the time they struck what would have been the out-of-court settlement of a lifetime (as far as I recall it involved Atari being able to port the entire 'virtua' series of games to the Jaguar), they were all but exahusted of funds.

THE PEOPLE'S PANDORA

1519079526479117f9808b5.png

Iorgy77 said:
Pleng said:
CDTV was relesed almost a decade before Commodore went bankrupt.

???
4 years is a decade?

Sorry my bad. For some reason I thought the CDTV was release a bit earlier and commodore went bankrupt a bit later!

sindbad said:
I prefer "Open Pandora", since if you have it in your hand you've already opened the box, thus unleashed stuff upon the world. But there's nothing wrong with plain "Pandora".
For some reason I like the name "Open" as a company name :)

WarmFluffyUK said:
sindbad said:
I prefer "Open Pandora", since if you have it in your hand you've already opened the box, thus unleashed stuff upon the world. But there's nothing wrong with plain "Pandora".
For some reason I like the name "Open" as a company name :)

You know... you're right. :ph34r:

Open really would be a great company name.

There is a new company that has been set up at companies house (UK) called....

wait for it....

openpandora Limited.

Could it be? Details here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back