Rotating random stuff

"Saying Java is great because it works on all platforms is like saying anal sex is great because it works on all genders" :D
:blink:  ...  :lol:

Well, both has it's fans. Let's just hope JAVA will not stay that popular like anal Sex for all times. I still hope Minecraft 2 will NOT be written in Java.

To refer back to the original off-topic quote, I'll point out that java bytecode and the Java language are only slightly related these days.  A lot of quite interesting languages can compile to java bytecode - you're not stuck with a crufty old C++ derivative.

Can the Java language be compiled to something other than Java bytecode then? Or does it only work the other way?

To refer back to the original off-topic quote, I'll point out that java bytecode and the Java language are only slightly related these days.  A lot of quite interesting languages can compile to java bytecode - you're not stuck with a crufty old C++ derivative.
Well Java is basically JVM assembler ... Anyway, my biggest gripe with the JVM is that you can't have references to parts of an object, or the stack. You're basically stuck doing a whole lot of pointer chasing for any composition you do, and it's impossible to do a lot of really awesome zero-allocation patterns which rely on pointers to the stack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the Java language be compiled to something other than Java bytecode then? Or does it only work the other way?
See this table. You can compile Java to other languages... with certain limitations.

Well Java is basically JVM assembler ... Anyway, my biggest gripe with the JVM is that you can't have references to parts of an object, or the stack. You're basically stuck doing a whole lot of pointer chasing for any composition you do, and it's impossible to do a lot of really awesome zero-allocation patterns which rely on pointers to the stack.
Yes, languages based on JVM tend to have to deal with some of the "optimizations" done to accomodate Java. For example how recursion is implemented in Clojure because JVM doesn't have tail call optimization (it's getting there).

All Turing-complete languages can in principle be compiled to one another. You could write a Java bytecode to Perl compiler, or a NEON assembly to VirtualBasic compiler. No idea why you would want to do that, but it can be done.

Back