RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

And before i make anything official, i'll start some rumors for fun :) there might be some mid-way bonus prize for keeping a public profile of the development. I'll keep you all posted when it's "in the bag" :)

if we learned anything from the last competition, it's that you should never change the rules after starting the competition, pisses everyone right off

Good point.

Prize pool at 295,09 Euro now.

I posted my offer here. I can do graphics and animations, if anyone needs them. Also music, but I haven't tried creating music that loops, so I'm probably not the best person to ask for video game music...

Please PM if interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donated a token amount :)

Många bäckar små gör en stor å :)

Hi everyone.

I've decided to make a small blog on the website in order to keep people up-to-date on the competition. It has an rss feed, so feel free to bookmark to keep current, as it is impossible for me to spread news to every corner of the internet :) Many places i cannot even figure out how to log in, other places i cannot post links, so please spread the word.

First order of business: Prize pool (<-- save the pandas) has reached 300 Euro.

Regards

Uni

P.s. I hope no one gets offended by the panda joke

GPH is now officially sponsoring the competition and providing CAANOO prizes for the winner (and up to the third places), there only is one condition: the game must be made available for the CAANOO (before or shortly after the deadline).

GPH has decided to sponsor the competition with some great prizes. These include a Caanoo console with full accessories pack for the winning team, a Caanoo console for runners up, and the entire third-place team will get Caanoo T-shirts (white and orange). They are also giving all participants developing for the Wiz or Caanoo 3000 GP to be used on their "app-store" fungp.com. To be eligible for winning a Caanoo you have to agree to make your entry available for the Caanoo as soon as possible after receiving it. So you do not actually have to change your plans for the competition. GPH sponsorship means that there might be prizes as far as 6th place, which is great. I will also device a plan in case the winning team does not want a Caanoo, we can work something out and it can go to the runners up. If you have any questions about this, please contact me or ask on one of the English forums as I frequent them all on a regular basis. I have tried to contact other device manufacturers about sponsoring as well, and I will keep you posted when I hear back. Also, please consider donating a small amount to the prize pool to support the developers.
Source

The prize money also is at 369,65 EUR!

I think this is great news and should give developers some extra push to develop for as many targets as possible :)

I don't see a problem with the condition made by GPH, it only seems natural they want to push their own handheld and it does not come as any disadvantage to others.

foxblock out

Fine. But now we have another issue; if Team A makes a game for the Pandora, but nobody is capable of porting it to the Caanoo, then what? If they ask someone else to do it, now what? And what if that someone is from Team B or C?

Fine. But now we have another issue; if Team A makes a game for the Pandora, but nobody is capable of porting it to the Caanoo, then what? If they ask someone else to do it, now what? And what if that someone is from Team B or C?

If a team is not capable of porting their game to the CAANOO they are not eligible for the price and it will get passed on, as simple as that.

If they ask somebody else to do it, they personally have to arrange who is getting the CAANOO, whether that is the original team who made the game or the porter is nothing GPH or the compo organizer should worry about, but the team.

(That is how I see it anyway).

I don't see a problem with that, the GPH prizes are merely a bonus, if you build for the CAANOO directly you obviously have an advantage, but if you build for the Pandora and don't make use of Qt or Python you can port your game to the CAANOO with few effort. Granted that does only include "runs on the CAANOO", nothing is said about performance. Also sprites usually have to be completely done from scratch when built for a lower resolution as you cannot just scale them down with an algorithm (in most cases anyway), that obviously is a problem for some projects as it involves much work.

But as the rules state that you can do that after the competition is over, you don't have to do any extra work in the remaining month.

Also I think the price (including the money) should solely be seen as a bonus, if you only participate for the price you should not participating at all - you can earn that money more easily and quickly. Do it for the fun and if you take the challenge and try to get your game on as many open-source handhelds as possible you should be rewarded for it, which is what the price does.

<sarcasm> yay! a rule change! </sarcasm>

How is that a rule change? You have to change nothing in the way how you develop your game, your theme of the game, you team, or whatever, not even if you are aiming for the price.

If you consider this a rule change you can also consider each donation increasing the prize money a rule change in the same way.

Or are you being sarcastic over the fact that this is not actually a rule change and are just happy developers get more prizes for their effort? In which case I totally agree.

I think everyone is a bit confused.

Lets say someone comes in first place but they cant port their software to the caanoo, do they still win the competition? Or do they lose their 1st place to the highest ranking entry that works on a Caanoo? They would still be the competition winners and eligable for the prizes not including the caanoo right?

The caanoo prizes are just a bonus prize (side pot) for the three highest ranking entries that either work or can be ported to the caanoo is how I understood it.

Yes absolutely, not being eligible for the CAANOO (in case you can't port your game for it) does not mean you can't win the overall competition.

The CAANOO is just a bonus and if the first team does not want it (or can't, see above) it will get passed on to the second place (while the team coming in first remains first and wins all the other prices for the first place).

To be eligible for winning a Caanoo you have to agree to make your entry available for the Caanoo as soon as possible after receiving it.

So it looks like GPH will send you a Caanoo as long as you agree to quickly port your game to it. That sounds incredibly fair!

Now I wanna see Open Pandora match this ;)

So it looks like GPH will send you a Caanoo as long as you agree to quickly port your game to it. That sounds incredibly fair!

I doubt OPT can afford giving away Pandora for nothing…

I mean they had to start selling Premium Pandoras to be able to keep producing Pandoras at all…

<sarcasm> yay! a rule change! </sarcasm>

No rule has changed. If you do not want to port your game to the Caanoo, simply pass it on to the next team. I think it would be a nice gesture.

I will write up a proper description of how prizes will be distributed between the entries once i have all the prizes sorted out. For those interested, follow the RSS feed on the blog.

I doubt OPT can afford giving away Pandora for nothing…

I mean they had to start selling Premium Pandoras to be able to keep producing Pandoras at all…

I have talked to ED about sponsoring. I'll keep you posted on how that goes. The problem is that Pandoras are still not readily available. So I could offer a "position in the queue," but I don't think people will like that much.

Let me know if I am wrong :)

I have talked to ED about sponsoring. I'll keep you posted on how that goes. The problem is that Pandoras are still not readily available. So I could offer a "position in the queue," but I don't think people will like that much.

Let me know if I am wrong :)

I'd love a queue number!

A panda would certainly increase the odds of porting Paper Wars from just the Caanoo B)

Back