RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

This sounds exciting. I might be willing to collaborate with someone, but I don't know if I have the time necessary to finish a project by a deadline. Also, no pandora for debugging/aesthetic purposes.

Some experience with C++, SDL, OpenGL (but not GLES!), and Qt (although I doubt that would come into play).

Gerix I sent you a PM. If you're not sure if you have the time maybe you would be interested in joining me, Zoxc(if he confirms he's joining) and Moz.

Moz is our sprite artist and me and Zoxc are working on the game engine. You could help contribute to our game engine without fear of the whole thing falling to you.

That offer is open to anyone btw but 4 members of Team 6 Killahz will be enough I think.

That offer is open to anyone btw but 4 members of Team 6 Killahz will be enough I think.

so why's it 6 killahz? (though yes, any more than 4 and you'll run out of things to do :p )
Sounds gangster B)

Not for what I've got planned.

3 character selection, FMV's (lol via a modelling program for creating movies), shooting, wall jumping, sword slashing and button timed combos.

Sounds gangster B)

3 character selection, FMV's (lol via a modelling program for creating movies), shooting, wall jumping, sword slashing and button timed combos.

uh...huh, so mainly just a bucket load of sprites then :p everythign else is just physics and a good head for game design

Sounds gangster B)

uh...huh, so mainly just a bucket load of sprites then :p everythign else is just physics and a good head for game design
Lol well, I'm sorrrrrr-rreee that I'm only learning the physics stuff and game design just recently...hadn't really programmed before feb so the physics side is all new to me.

I notice you didn't enter my competition...If it's "just physics" :p :)

Edit* but yes I would like to work with another progger as would give me some better experience. But if no one accepts then I'll muddle along best I can!

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice you didn't enter my competition...If it's "just physics" :p :)

:) i did, just real life hit me and i had to quit my efforts, but nah, seriously, good luck to you and everyone else, learning is the only reason to take part (apart form the cash, but what's a few hundred these days anyway)

Yeah the money is nothing even for one person - split 4 ways it's barely anything even if the pot were to reach a grande. (not to disrespect the pot of course but people entering are more than likely just doing it for fun - myself included)

My code is always really frustrating though. I was doing a tic tac toe thing and TONS of lines on the AI (making moves on moves available)and when I finished someone on an c++ forum replaced those with like an 8 line algorithm :angry:

So yes I could probably do it on my own but it would be sloppy as hell. It may come to that though, will have to see if anyone bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
My code is always really frustrating though. I was doing a tic tac toe thing and TONS of lines on the AI (making moves on moves available)and when I finished someone on an c++ forum replaced those with like an 8 line algorithm :angry:

that's how programming works, i wrote a rubik's cube solver years ago that consisted of 50,000 odd if statements (couldn't be done with a case), and you can do it in about 4 lines, just break it down to the simplest operation then work from there, or just take all possible moves and take the highest scoring one. takes a while to get decent at programming, and your brain will never be the same again :)

I don't feel the same since spending all of february looking up Python functions.

Yeah thinking up the best solution to a problem and punching in the lines of code are two completely different things ;)

But in general most things can be optimized, so you should already be happy when you get your solution in a working state (and then maybe try to optimize it).

Also, I hope all people enter the competition to have fun, to me that is what it is mostly about (apart from learning, too). :)

I'm doing it for fun but I do want to make the best game :p

Spesh after my last one lost to a terminal shooter.

Hmmmm, it's getting a bit quiet in here, hopefully that's because everyone is too busy working on their game :p

I (and my team mate) have been working on ours and I will start a new topic about it somewhere next week when there's some (concept) art to show :) Hope you guys will do the same :D

I hope you Pandora wizards are working hard, 'cause some of us Caanoo bums are cooking up something nice ;)

Hi everyone

So who will be participating? Or is planning to participate? It would be great to know, as i am looking for some more prizes.

Hmmmm, it's getting a bit quiet in here, hopefully that's because everyone is too busy working on their game :p

I (and my team mate) have been working on ours and I will start a new topic about it somewhere next week when there's some (concept) art to show :) Hope you guys will do the same :D

I think it is a great idea to create a thread about your game. Everyone should do that. It will encourage more people to participate, donate (<--click me!), and keep focus on the competition.

And before i make anything official, i'll start some rumors for fun :) there might be some mid-way bonus prize for keeping a public profile of the development. I'll keep you all posted when it's "in the bag" :)

And before i make anything official, i'll start some rumors for fun :) there might be some mid-way bonus prize for keeping a public profile of the development. I'll keep you all posted when it's "in the bag" :)

if we learned anything from the last competition, it's that you should never change the rules after starting the competition, pisses everyone right off

Back