RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

May be interested in lending my spriting/UI/concept skills to a team for this.

I will post in gp32 spain if nobody else do before i arrive home :)

I am thinking in participate... i can code, but i am a crap making sprites.

I have a friend in the university that maybe will code too.

Ah awesome! Please tell me you are also Spanish-speaking? My translation isn't really working... a couple of words that I lack and tenses that I can't get around. :S

I'll see if wifey will help when she wakes up later (timezone differences.)

Ah awesome! Please tell me you are also Spanish-speaking? My translation isn't really working... a couple of words that I lack and tenses that I can't get around. :S

I'll see if wifey will help when she wakes up later (timezone differences.)

i am :) my english is not so good, neither my spanish :p but more or less i would translate it like:

Anuncio

u9i (de gp32x.de) ha decidido organizar una competición cross-platform para nuestras portables favoritas. Por supuesto, toda competición debe tener algunas condiciones, y esta requiere que te unas en equipo con uno o mas para desarrollar un juego. u9i espera que una a la gente y estimule la colaboración entre plataformas y profesiones.

Genero

No existe ninguna limitación en cuanto a géneros, pero este debe ser un juego, nuevo y original, por lo que no se permiten ports o emuladores.

Plataformas

Puedes presentar un juego en las siguientes plataformas: Pandora, Caanoo, Wiz, Dingux. También puedes presentarlo para varias de ellas.

Premios

El ha puesto 100 Euros para el ganador y espera que donéis mas para el bote, por lo que puede haber premios para puestos entre el segundo y el tercero. El bote es común entre las plataformas.

Envió

Puedes presentarlo hasta el 25 de Junio de 2011. Los detalles de como se enviaran serán publicados en la pagina web.

Votación

Miembros de las comunidades podrán votar por sus juegos favoritos, y esto se usara para determinar el ganador.

Después del fin del plazo, todos los juegos se pondrán disponibles para descargarlos, y los miembros de la comunidad podrán votar sus favoritos hasta el 8 de Julio de 2011.

Ganador

Los ganadores serán anunciados el 10 de Julio de 2011 y recibirán su premio el 17 de Julio de 2011.

Mas información

Para obtener mas ayuda, por favor, visita la web www.riotdigital.com. También, puedes realizar peticiones para buscar miembros para el equipo en gp32x.de Job Office

Buena suerte a todos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still looking for a partner - if no one wants me on their team then I'll just have to write another gem (robo hell 2) and none of you will stand a chance(lol).

Anyway heres my game idea

Straight forward shooter allowing for 3 characters to be selected - won't be too much work they'll just shoot different coloured bullets.

Ammo is extremely scarce so for the most part they will be attacking with a sword. I hope to introduce 4 different sets of combos. Doing the hardest combo will bring a street fighter alpha kinda background of colour when you kill bosses. Walls will be jump-able meaning you can jump off the side of a wall.

It will be the most brutal Pandora game there ever was. Upon killing an enemy with your gun they will splatter backward in a shower of meat and guts.

Killing them via combos will have their bones bounce around a bit like brutalities in mortal kombat.

Anyway I really could use some help on this and it'd be rather fun to learn from someone and I'm willing to put the effort in to make this a proper professional/polished game.

I'll try and get a video up of what I've got so far soon to entice people!!

richiz, i like your idea. I would like to join, but (apart from i don't have a pandora), i am organizing the competition, so cannot :) But it is a perfect way of announcing the idea and finding people. And if this doesn't work, try IRC.

ZarkGhost, thanks for the translation. I will post it on the spanish forum (minus the links, but it is better then nothing :) )

/Uni

Hey, this was quick on the heels of the last one! Great.

This time, I want to try for a 3D game. It's going to be a big challenge to make a nice 3D game :)

I'd like to work with someone who can help with the art / music / concept / design side of things, any coding help would be a happy bonus. Might team up with my wife and son for a start, and anyone else I can find.

Hi, I already suggested this idea at the german forums, that can be used by anybody that likes it (I'm not that skilled in games coding)

I would like a "simple" top-view Racing game similar to Micromachines or GTA but it should use www.openstreetmap.org geodata to generate it's levels. So you can make a virtual ride in your hometown by opendata on a open device :D

Currently there aren't any good racing games on the Pandora, right?

And only Pandora can use wifi to get additional game levels :)

If you are scared about the OSM data I would be glad to support you but as said I'm neither a game developer nor have that much time to do bigger tasks.

If you are planing on entering, but don't really know where to start or what to do, here are some links to get you on track (hopefully):

Three Hundred :: Three Hundred Mechanics (300 different game mechanics to get some ideas, helped me with Greyout at least ;) )

Derek Yu (Spriting guide)

Game Prototypes (game prototypes by Braid designer Jonathan Blow)

Programming M.C. Kids « games.greggman.com (how an average Mario-style platformer works in the core - it is from 1992 and still relevant! see how little changes)

» Making a Game – Part One: The Idea PandoraPress (shameless plug, a series on game development I never finished (shame on me!), but still want to, maybe I will in the next days if people think that would help them for this competition - it is text-heavy I plan to make a reboot with more shiny images).

I hope that helps, feel free to ask me for more stuff

foxblock out

Thanks for the links, but it's mostly a lack of time :/ Anyway if somebody would take the challenge I'm pretty sure that this would be a award winning game :)

Well it seems I have my team together! :D

Also if Penjin is your preferred method of creating your game, do not be scared to ask me questions about it's use. Documentation is still not perfect so I can understand if you get stuck! I'm here to help and this compo doesn't change that.

You can also ask foxblock, MarkoeZ and probably Dragons_Slayer for advice on Penjin related stuff as they may also be able to help.

Team Six-Killaz now have one coder and a sprite artist.

Looking for another coder to work with. I'll be using C++ and SDL and for this project it'll be very much OOP and well commented. I'm not that great but i pick things up quickly.

Got a team together too :D (2 actually :p ) This is going to be fun ^__^

And as PokeParadox said, for those who want to use Penjin and need help (help with programming, not with getting Penjin to compile, I don't know all of that anymore :( ) you can always ask me :)

A quick note to everyone. The prize pool has already reached EUR 244.14. This is amazing. I think we should be able to have prizes for the top few entries at least, which would be great.

[...]

It didn't stop Richiz! I think the organizer should certainly be required to compete :)

Yeah. It is written in the rules that I can participate, just not win :) But i actually have a lot of preparation to do still. I have put a lot of effort into this, and i'm nowhere near done yet. I want everything to go perfectly. But that said, i am on a team already. So maybe i'll have enough time to actually finish something.

I would like a "simple" top-view Racing game similar to Micromachines or GTA but it should use www.openstreetmap.org geodata to generate it's levels.[...]

And only Pandora can use wifi to get additional game levels :)

I like this idea. I just wanted to add that the Caanoo also has wifi (sometimes ;) ). It would be so awesome to be able to play against other open source consoles online.

I'm interested in contributing with the programming part of some 2D game, unless it will be written in Python...

Dibs on Zoxc! Zoxc I'm a pretty newb c++ programmer but I pick things up pretty quick and moz is our sprite artist.

Come aboard Team Six Killaz :)

Back